PDA

View Full Version : Ride-on hopper cover

klsgc
11-29-2010, 05:46 PM
How many of you use a hopper cover for driving down the road if your machine is not in an enclosed trailer? At what speed will the fert start blowing around?

ant
11-29-2010, 06:04 PM
sounds like a question i would ask..

CHARLES CUE
11-29-2010, 08:42 PM
How many of you use a hopper cover for driving down the road if your machine is not in an enclosed trailer? At what speed will the fert start blowing around?

It's always on only take it off to add more fert.

Charles Cue

grass4gas
11-29-2010, 08:47 PM
Only an idiot would ride down the highway with fert in a spreader and not have a cover on it. There should be a fine and revocation of their applicator/business license if caught in my opinion...maybe there is a law in place for that.

It is no different than if you did not blow off your hard surfaces after an application...only the perception would be much worse if fert was flying out of the hopper going down the highway.

JMHO

klsgc
11-29-2010, 08:52 PM
I totally agree with you grass. In the past I always use 16' enclosed with a full pallet shoved in the front door. I am setting up another truck and am looking to use an open setup.I'm just thinking on all my resi's that it is 1/4 mile or less between and 35 mph and less if the fert is going anywhere.

a plus bob
11-29-2010, 08:54 PM
It's always on only take it off to add more fert.

Charles Cue

Same here.I have lost 2 going down the road in the 10 years of using a Z.

klsgc
11-29-2010, 09:14 PM
uh oh, what exactly does "lost 2 going down the road" mean? sounds like a good story.

a plus bob
11-29-2010, 09:22 PM
uh oh, what exactly does "lost 2 going down the road" mean? sounds like a good story.

When they get old they stretch and go flying off at 70 mph and hit the windshield of the car behind you :o

grass4gas
11-30-2010, 05:39 AM
I totally agree with you grass. In the past I always use 16' enclosed with a full pallet shoved in the front door. I am setting up another truck and am looking to use an open setup.I'm just thinking on all my resi's that it is 1/4 mile or less between and 35 mph and less if the fert is going anywhere.

I have both the enclosed trailer and a open set up. With the open set up, I have driven with the cover off if I am in a neighborhood. I try to run most of my material out of the hopper if I am going to be running on open roads.

When I am on a lawn, I usually have the cover off when on flat areas. The sunlight reflecting off the cover is enough to blind you.

grassman177
11-30-2010, 09:54 AM
we always leave them on, to prevent bouncing fert out during operation.

i have never lost a zspray cover, but lost several on our jrco spreaders we used to use, then we started stretching a bungie over the top to prevent and it worked well.

RigglePLC
12-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Not a problem, KLSG--people don't drive that fast here in Grand Rapids.

But if you need to, drive down 96 and have your wife follow you in her car--if she can hear the particles hit her windshield, you need the cover. Depends on the shape of truck and airflow. A lot depends on how full the hopper is. How light is the product? Merit? Dylox? Dimension?
Remember rain (or snow) is always a possibility around here. I hate it when rain gets the fert wet in spite of the cover.

We all need a better spreader cover--for hand spreaders as well as ride-ons. If it did not get stiff in cold weather--that would help.

turfsurfer
12-03-2010, 07:24 AM
You guys make it too hard. Bungee cords, 2 crisscrossed over the hopper cover if you want to be really on the safe side. No lost covers or material.

americanlawn
12-05-2010, 03:37 PM
We've never lost a (Spyker) spreader cover from any of our T's. But.....once they start tearing a hole, the cover can allow fert to spill out when we put about 120 lbs (heaping full) in the hopper while operating on bumpy lawns.

So then, we replace our T's with new covers as needed and use the "worn-out ones" on our "push spreaders" (Spyker 288's). This allows us to get extra longevity out of our spreader covers. Spyker 288 covers are the same as TURFCO & most Z-Spray models.

All of our Spyker spreaders (both push & ride-on) are mounted behind pickup trucks, so wind is not a huge factor.

In previous years, we lost several PG & LESCO covers. So then we bought some from a local fabrication company .... they were even worse, cuz they seemed a bit too large.

The PG & LESCO covers seemed to experience premature cracking (clear plastic top), and they seemed to "loosen up" more quickly compared to the Spyker covers.

Our 2 cents

FERT-TEK
12-05-2010, 05:44 PM
Always a hopper cover in place and a 15" bungee chord across to hold it in place. When I am ready to refill I just open half of the cover which provides plenty of room to dump a bag.