PDA

View Full Version : anyone planting in this drought?

bobbygedd
08-24-2002, 12:35 AM
anyone doing any planting in this bad weather? i have never had a weeping cherry die, lost 2 this week, as well as about 6 other shrubs. all new installs, and normally we hardly ever lose plants. i guess its best to wait a few weeks?

Henry
08-24-2002, 09:39 AM
I did a small planting last week, before the restrictions. I told the customer that it would be best to wait but they're front yard was bare and they wanted it now.

rodfather
08-24-2002, 11:28 AM
As I am in NJ as well, the couple on installations I have to do yet will wait until the water restrictions are taken away again. If not, I will wait until the Spring if I have to.

I'm not going to waste my time and my customer's money just to see something planted in the ground and die a couple of weeks later.:cry:

PAPS
08-24-2002, 03:03 PM
I had to send a guy out last week to replace a bunch of shrubs that died on a job we did earlier in the summer, but other than that... I am (like rodfather) suggesting that all plantings be put off a few weeks.... including new lawns.

dforbes
08-24-2002, 10:02 PM
we have been lucky and had a lot of rain in the last two weeks, before that customers were asking us to wait, didn't want to do the extra watering.
Dennis

GarPA
08-26-2002, 07:53 AM
someone on this site recently had reminded us all of a great idea...when you sell installs, also include a "we will water" for x dollars...customers say they will water but few do and most dont know how to do it right...either they drown the plant or dont give it enough.....I had one job for a commercial client in hot July ....lots of perennials and a couple trees...he insisted on doing it then not the fall...told him I would do it only if he agreed for me to keep everythig watered once per week...he pays me $120 each visit...and he told me last week he's so glad we did it that way...you should also see his wave petunias...200 of them and they're gorgeous...now heres a way to MAKE money from the drought...most of my biz is not mowing ...so if I were to wait for water restrictions to be lifted here in PA, I might as well sell the equipment today....it could be a year or 2 b4 they are lifted..here in PA new plants are allowed to be watered....so sell those watering agreements!!!!!

Mow&Snow
09-02-2002, 05:58 PM
We have done alot of planting this season for three or four big customers, starting back in the heat of July. We live in a rural area where water bans are not as enforced as alot of clients have thier own wells and secondary water sources (lakes, ponds, etc.) because of this, we have had no problems getting our new plantings to take.

Having said that though, we do spend alot of time teaching the client how to water correctly. I also make sure to drive by frequently to be sure they are watering correctly.

MJ LANDSCAPING
09-02-2002, 10:50 PM
just planted 40 white pines 10-12ft which I know was risky but the customer has a huge lake on the property and the customer rented a diesel pump, hose & sprinklers to irrigate them. The wanted a instant privacy screening around there property. They insisted, I would have never planted the trees in August especially under drought restrictions.