PDA

View Full Version : New Toy

LAWNGODFATHER
08-24-2002, 02:13 AM
Well I went ahead and did it. Thanks to the guys who I have been talking to via e-mail from here. They have convinced me on the boomless sprayer/spreader and the 100 hour garuntee. Plus some of the stuff I have picked up that have those things you can't fit a 60" ZTR in. (GATES)

I bought a Perma Green that was delivered Wednesday.

It has been waiting for my check at their wharehouse since the Expo.

I will post some pics soon.

Any tips on setting it up and using it.

BTW it will be used for general fert n squirt, I will use the Dixie set up for the more delicate/accurate applications. The DC is needed more on the mowing side and I did not feel like buying a nother ZTR at $9000 so I bought the sprayer instead.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-25-2002, 08:53 PM
Well I got it all set up and did some work with it.

Followed the directions in the manual, it was pretty easy.

Does decent on hills.

I did have to move the drive belt tension spring to put tension on the belt though. It was slipping pretty bad.

The best word for this machine is simple.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-25-2002, 08:56 PM
I did a 264m apt. complex with it in 3.5 hours.

I got the carry rack so I wouldn't have to pull a trailer also.

LAWNGODFATHER
08-25-2002, 09:01 PM
I am filling it with this right now. I do have a van I bought just for apps, but I have to rhino line the inside, and set it all up to carry fert and chemicals, and tanks.

hustlers
08-25-2002, 11:25 PM
let me know how ya like it.
the local Scotts man had
it and you gotta be careful
cause it looked like he was
screwing around real fast
with dangerouse concentrated
chems.
Good luck

grassguy_
08-26-2002, 08:34 AM
Be sure you take the time to go over the nuts and bolts on it, there are times the work loose, especially after the first few uses. Keep a spray can of lubricant handy for the shoot plates so they will keep moving freely when you open and close shoot. The agitator springs usually wear down quickly, i've replaced them with a long bolt that actually goes through the spindle shaft and then tighten it down with a nut. As you get into using it, you'll enjoy it more and you'll be glad you have it at the end of the day. Good Luck!

LAWNGODFATHER
08-26-2002, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the info.

It has been a little tought on the hands so far. I am not quite used to it, but it is easy to use.

I made the mistake of doing a big place with it first.

I did some little laws today, and it scoots right through them.

Now I want to see how well the consentrated spray works.

I keep a can of leithum spray (banana scented) in the truck.

EJK2352
08-27-2002, 07:21 AM
I bought one back in April of this year. The more I use it, the more I love it. LGF, I too needed my mower for mowing more than apps. I have a spread and spray setup I built for my Lazer HP. It doesn't take long to put the setup on the mower, but it got to be a real pain taking it on & off. I work solo, so now I can take the Lazer w/ Ultra Vac and the PermaGreen, do apps. in the morning till things dry, then mow in the afternoon. Really like the low volume spray once I got used to it. It's great to only have to go over the lawn once (huge time saver) and I only have to carry a 35 gal. Nurse tank for herbicide refillls.:) ;) :) ED

Runner
08-27-2002, 09:59 PM
THAT does it! I'm jealous!!!!:mad: Man, that is the way to go! I can't WAIT for the day! (next season) I use one occasionally, now, but it doesn't belong to me. I've learned some tricks with them already, also. One, is that when you spray and spread at the same time, go back over BETWEEN the rows after with just the spray. I was first told this by a Scott's tech, who said he doesn't like and want to share his info with anyone else. (some other operators we just happened to be talking about then). When I told my friend about this helping technique, he said he already knew and does it. Go figure! Anyway, enjoy it, and make the best out of it! Good luck to you!;)

HBFOXJr
08-28-2002, 08:06 AM
No need to go back if you run the machine as they say. That is 7 ft passes center of wheel marks to center of wheel marks. It is easy to eyeball since the machine is 3 ft wide to estiamte 4 ft bwtween tracks is simple.

This gives you good single coverage on weed spray and double coverage on fert which is important if it has a pre-emerge or other product on it.

The spread width is honest at 14-15 ft and you can the the stuff dropping between the wheel tracks of the previous pass.

LAWNGODFATHER
09-01-2002, 01:08 AM
I have done some big and small places with it using Drive 75 and Manage. I sure wish it had agitation to keep the drive suspended.

I can't wait to see the results using the low volume.

Quail Creek LC
09-02-2002, 12:46 AM
LGF, Nice set up, wish I had one. By chance is that your lawn in the background, If soo you might want to give it a little help. LOL

LAWNGODFATHER
09-02-2002, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Quail Creek LC
By chance is that your lawn in the background, If soo you might want to give it a little help. LOL

Yes. On the left side we have done a lot of driving over the lawn.

I took out a fish pond, and replaced it with a jacuzzi that was given to me. I also took out a deck, hauled several yards of top soil in, put in a swale on both sides, cut down a few momosa trees, and my waverunners were parked on the side of the house.

So we have driven over that side so much the grass couldn't take it any more. It will be back up to par by then end of September.

On the right side of the drive I blame the Mrs. for driving on it.

Tony Harrell
09-04-2002, 05:47 AM
Lesco carries that. About $4500.

LAWNGODFATHER
09-04-2002, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Tony Harrell
Lesco carries that. About $4500. The Lesco by me has them on sale for $5,800.

I got mine from Perma Green, ride-onpreder.com

doug r
09-05-2002, 07:18 PM
I have 2 perma green units. They work ok but I got tired of constantly working on them. I just bought a new 40" wide Z-Spray. The new stainless steel model . Man, there is no comparison. It does twice the work with no break downs and I get much better weed control. It's definately worth the extra
$1,500.00 over the perma green.

LAWNGODFATHER
09-05-2002, 08:07 PM
36" wide Z-Spray is $6,500

I went with the Perma Green due to the boomless feture.

I do have a dixie with a 25gal tank and a spreader on it, that does well, but I needed a dedicated unit that I did not need a trailer for either, sp that's what I bought.

So far the low volume does a wonderfull job killing weeds including Nutsedge and Crabgrass.

What do you mean by keep working on it, I got 23 hours and haven't done a thing but change the oil, lube it and clean it?

KLMlawn
09-09-2002, 11:55 PM
I do have to say that Tom Rich should investigate making the Z-Spray "boomless" like the Perma-green, then it would be perfect ...:blob2:

Tony Harrell
09-10-2002, 06:20 AM
That price was for customer appreciation sale. They got it in stock during the sale. It's still there, probably still the same price. If I get a chance, I'll check it out today.

greenngrow
09-16-2002, 12:03 PM
I too have just purchased a perma green sprayer. I have not used it because of the dry weather we are having here in KY.

But while I'm typing I hear the rain on the roof top.

LGF you says that you have gotten good control on Crabgrass.
Here I am having a time with the darn stuff. Did you use Drive 75 to control. The label says to use at least 20 gallon water to acre. With the perma green you are only putting down 9 gallons per acre. If you are lucky. Do you split apply or take the chances..

Again, I am waiting for the time I can try my new toy out. May just get to this week.

Need to get it caliberated any suggestions.

HBFOXJr
09-16-2002, 12:25 PM
My brown nozzles put out about 20 oz/k based on 7' spacing center to center of my passes. I slow the machine to 4th gear and make the passes closer, like only 1' between tire tracks. Thats giving me about 80 oz/k then which is better. It is not ideal in my opinion but the specialty apps are suck a small part of what needs to be done I don't worry about it.

Over the winter I'll be mounting a tank and electric pump on another machine just for apps where higher volume is of benefit.

LAWNGODFATHER
09-16-2002, 02:19 PM
I switched nozzles like Harold explained and mixed at half the rate, then I went over the areas twice. I wanted to see how well it would do it like this so I did not have to bring another machine for the apps.

greenngrow
09-16-2002, 02:43 PM
Harold, why not change the top nozzles?
And what size did you go to?

LGF, what size did you go to and do you use the lower nozzle to get more volume on the ground.

Thanks for your replies

LAWNGODFATHER
09-16-2002, 03:04 PM
I switched the top nozzles to the bottom, put the bottoms on top so when I slow down with broad leaf I can switch to a lower rate.

Drive in 4th gear with the bottom nozzles on and go over the area twice using a half the rate mix.

Harold did the same, he told me to do it like this.

BTW the pump in the PG can go no more than 1 gpm open flow.

HBFOXJr
09-16-2002, 05:03 PM
I haven't checked the charts but as purchased it had brpown on top and green on bottom. I found that the top nozzles give to much blow back on the machine and operator and greatly increase the risk from drift.

Using the bottom feed nozzles of choice really makes the stuff lay down except on truly unfit days.

This fall I moved the higher volume brown down to the bottom (about 20 oz/k instead of 16 oz/k) as I've been spraying fungicides, and post crab treatments on some new jobs.