PDA

View Full Version : Kill Bahia grass in pasture

36racin
12-01-2010, 09:39 AM
Recently purchased 80 acres in south Mississippi. I'm looking to enhance the property for wildlife and recreational purposes. As well as plant some more trees(pines and oaks) for future harvesting. What I have is alot pasture land with bahiagrass growing in it that someone was cutting for hay. I'd like to kill the bahia in a 8-10 acre area and other small areas around the property. I want to kill it completely. I have time on my side and know it will probably take more than one spraying to accomplish this. I wish for the native grasses and plants to come back out and take over these areas, What can I spray to kill it?

Thanks,
Todd

Ric
12-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Recently purchased 80 acres in south Mississippi. I'm looking to enhance the property for wildlife and recreational purposes. As well as plant some more trees(pines and oaks) for future harvesting. What I have is alot pasture land with bahiagrass growing in it that someone was cutting for hay. I'd like to kill the bahia in a 8-10 acre area and other small areas around the property. I want to kill it completely. I have time on my side and know it will probably take more than one spraying to accomplish this. I wish for the native grasses and plants to come back out and take over these areas, What can I spray to kill it?

Thanks,
Todd

Todd

I question the idea of killing off 8 to 10 acres tooooo Quickly. You may be opening your land to erosion. It sounds like you want to do the right and let Mother Nature be more natural. While I could easily give to a short list of non select herbicides I feel you may want to contact your state Land Grant university for Upland Natural Area Management guidelines.

36racin
12-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Ric,
Thanks for the concern. We did have a Bologist on the property last week. It was his suggestion to kill the Bahia and let the native grasses and forage come back out. We can and will certainly do this area in pieces. We wanted to plant some trees this year. But can certainly wait. We are not so interested in timber value. More importantly wildlife habitat. We can only do so much with the time we are up on the property. And certainly have a list a mile long of other improvements, equipment, buildings, etc that are also needed.
While the biologist was there he took a look at an adjoining piece of property that had planted pines added to prior pasture land(bahiagrass) It had little or no browse material or cover material for wildlife. That's why he suggested we kill the bahia if we chose to plant trees. Better yet it would encourage native growth and the wildilfe would use it where they are not currently.

Thanks,
Todd

Ric
12-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Todd

Fools rush in where wise men fear to tread. Sounds like you want a great Hunting Lease.

Bahia is simple to kill with Roundup when it is actively growing spring to early fall. but don't buy the Name brand when Generics are so cheap and work just as good. Glyphosate is the active ingredient and can be purchased almost every where. Tractor Supply sells it as BIG PRONTO I believe. But look for and buy Glyphosate. The 41% only takes 88 oz in 44 gallons of water per acre to give a great one time kill.

Having done some hunting myself, Feed oats will give about 65% germination on burned ground and I find Deer like Oaks better than Rye or Wheat. Of course soybeans and Melons grown wild, also are good forage and won't effect natural area plants.

36racin
12-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Ric,
Thanks. The biologist sent these to me today. To kill Bahia he would recommend

Aresenal @1% mix or 1 1/2oz per gallon water

or

Round UP @ 3-4% mix or 5-6oz per gallon water.

Does these sound correct? I know the Aresnal is not a cheap chemical. I just want to make sure the roots and all get nuked when I do it. And yes we are trying to set up the property for hunting. But since it's so little we are trying to attract all the deer we can from the surrounding properties.

I also will be doing the hack and squirt on trees that I wish to kill. Any recommendations on which herbicide to use for that?

Thanks,
Todd

Ric
12-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Ric,
Thanks. The biologist sent these to me today. To kill Bahia he would recommend

Aresenal @1% mix or 1 1/2oz per gallon water

or

Round UP @ 3-4% mix or 5-6oz per gallon water.

Does these sound correct? I know the Aresnal is not a cheap chemical. I just want to make sure the roots and all get nuked when I do it. And yes we are trying to set up the property for hunting. But since it's so little we are trying to attract all the deer we can from the surrounding properties.

I also will be doing the hack and squirt on trees that I wish to kill. Any recommendations on which herbicide to use for that?

Thanks,
Todd

Todd

I recommended 2 oz per gallon or a 1.5% solution of Glyphosate on active growing Bahia and have killed Bahia with even a weaker mixture. You Biologist might be recommending a higher concentration because of the time of year. Your Bahia should be either dormant or going Dormant. In My Humble Opinion it MIGHT be too later this year to get a good kill. In has been many years since the year I lived in Ocean Springs Ms and worked as a fish spotter. So I am not really up on your weather.

PS Forget Aresnal it is a complete over kill. Last time I used Aresnal it was applied to fresh Stump Cut Exotic trees growing in wet land to allow native re-growth

nik
12-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Arsenal may be a bit much. Though it is SOP for forest applications for reprod.

Can you get your hands on native grass seed? I would suggest not tilling and direct seeding native grasses or just forage seed. That way you can take advantage of the roots and keep your soil.

gregory
12-01-2010, 08:11 PM
couldnt you just have some one come in and sell it for sod?

Ric
12-01-2010, 08:21 PM
couldnt you just have some one come in and sell it for sod?

Gregory

Selling Pasture Grass as Fine sod just won't Work. There are several varieties of Bahia all of which are more Pasture Grade than fine turf. Our Bahia is actually from Argentina because it grows tighter than the Clumping growth style of Coastal Bahia, popular on the Northern Gulf Coast.

420deere
12-01-2010, 09:41 PM
Use "Cimmron", it will kill the Bahia and leave most other grasses, read the label first to be sure.

My .02 worth

420 deere

36racin
12-02-2010, 08:17 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies. We are currently working on other habitat improvements around the property and will be waiting until the spring to start any killing of Bahia. Currently have a 16 gallon sprayer that sits on the back of an ATV. Will need to figure out how to calibrate this sprayer so I can tell how much it is spraying. Some of these chemicals on the paperwork given to me by the biologist show ounces, pints, quarts, etc per acre and not by gallons. Can anyone assist me in doing this?

Thanks again everyone,
Todd

Ric
12-02-2010, 08:30 AM
Use "Cimmron", it will kill the Bahia and leave most other grasses, read the label first to be sure.

My .02 worth

420 deere

I was thinking along the same lines when I made my first post. But MSME the active in Cimarron and several other select herbicide is mostly a broad leave killer as well as Bahia. MSME is a root absorb product and has some resisdual in the ground. This is not good for native re-growth. Glyphosate on the other hand has no resisdual, is safe to humans and animals, available everywhere and CHEAP.

Thanks everyone for the replies. We are currently working on other habitat improvements around the property and will be waiting until the spring to start any killing of Bahia. Currently have a 16 gallon sprayer that sits on the back of an ATV. Will need to figure out how to calibrate this sprayer so I can tell how much it is spraying. Some of these chemicals on the paperwork given to me by the biologist show ounces, pints, quarts, etc per acre and not by gallons. Can anyone assist me in doing this?

Thanks again everyone,
Todd

Todd

Any chemicals you buy SHOULD have a label with the per gallon or per thousand sq Ft calibration. You may look most of those labels up on line and down load or print them at this link

http://www.cdms.net/LabelsMsds/LMDefault.aspx

ted putnam
12-02-2010, 08:36 AM

Thanks again everyone,
Todd

An acre is 43,560 ft sq. You will have to calibrate the equipment you plan to use with plain water. Measure an area, say 11,000 ft sq. Spray it with the water at the operating speed and pump/tip output you plan to use. If you use 2 gals to cover this area, then you are (roughly using 8 gals per acre). If the product says to use 2 pints per acre then you would add approx 2 pints for every 8 gals of mix. The reason there is differences in the rates is because of what the product is and its formulation. It could be L-liquid, EC-emulsifiable concentrate, DF-dry flowable, DG-dispersible granule, etc...

Green Up
12-29-2010, 09:52 AM
I have used Cimmaron several times in my pasture. i would say to wait until the bahia was actively growing during the spring before spraying. You can purchase it from your local co-op. It is really cheap.