PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo dieing fast. Please help!!

djchiodo3
12-01-2010, 02:40 PM
Have some tropical bamboo that started to die off this year. It looked great until about four months ago. What happens is it develops these dark brown or blackish looking spots around the base. Then it travels all the way to the top until the entire stock is dead. Is it a fungus? I have lost about half so far.

MarcSmith
12-01-2010, 03:14 PM
if you figure out whats killing it, patent the stuff and you'll make millions... around here people pay top dollar to remove the bamboo as it spreads horribly

p

Harley-D
12-01-2010, 03:18 PM
You beat me to it Marc!! Ha!

MarcSmith
12-01-2010, 03:19 PM
I've done my share of bamboo removals...never guaranteed, but it always involved skid loaders or backhoes and a lot of roundup..

grass4gas
12-01-2010, 05:14 PM
Have some tropical bamboo that started to die off this year. It looked great until about four months ago. What happens is it develops these dark brown or blackish looking spots around the base. Then it travels all the way to the top until the entire stock is dead. Is it a fungus? I have lost about half so far.

If no one can help you on this site, I suggest you contact your county extension office. They can help you, or at the very least, point you in the right direction.

I agree with the other posters, most people want to get rid of this stuff.

djchiodo3
12-01-2010, 06:43 PM
If no one can help you on this site, I suggest you contact your county extension office. They can help you, or at the very least, point you in the right direction.

I agree with the other posters, most people want to get rid of this stuff.

Thanks for the input. This bamboo is part of a Japanese garden. Various sizes from 1" thick to 5" thick and 50ft in height. Part of it hides a large metal shop.

nik
12-01-2010, 07:33 PM
What's been spilled in the metal shop?? Or accidentally dumped outside? Does the shop have a dirt floor? Since bamboo spreads it wouldn't take long for the roots to find something nasty to suck up.

Have you mulched the bamboo or top-dressed with compost? Have plants next to the bamboo gotten compost/ Improperly cured compost can harbors all sorts of diseases.

How old is the plant? Bamboo doesn't live forever.

I like bamboo but I like seeing it dead (like everyone else) even more.

djchiodo3
12-01-2010, 07:49 PM
No spills from shop and no compost piles. Age of bamboo is from 8 to 2 years. There is a large oak that is starting to block a lot of light and soil is dryer then normal.

djchiodo3
12-01-2010, 07:56 PM
Just found a great web site with all the answers I needed. Thanks for all your input.