PDA

View Full Version : Brick stop edging with stone/brick patio

LawnLad
08-24-2002, 04:52 PM
I'm installing a new front entry walk at a customer's house. It will be blue stone field with a brick roman course edge to emulate an existing one in the customers back yard.

My question is this... do I need brick edging for the roman course where the walk will meet the lawn/beds. In the back the installer did not use it - and it looks okay (now 6 to 8 years). I figured I would use it just to be safe - but was curious as to what others have found over time in this application.

Thanks....

dforbes
08-24-2002, 09:59 PM
I would use the edging, the back may still look good but the customer will not blame you if something goes wrong back there, I'm sure you will be the first to here it if something happens up front. We have never put one in without edging so I have nothing to base this on but my feelings.
Dennis

Lanelle
08-24-2002, 10:54 PM
Its best to do the right thing the first time on the job since repairs don't pay well. Install the edging on compacted base and there should be no problems.

paul
08-25-2002, 08:29 AM
Peace of mind comes about $4 per foot, cheap insurance..........

LawnLad
08-25-2002, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the input - I figured it into the bid and intended on installing it. I just didn't know what the industry practice was. A big time company with a good reputation installed the back patio without it - so I questioned it.