PDA

View Full Version : Replacing shocks? How to?

meets1
12-02-2010, 07:04 PM
I have a 3/4 tone Chevy 2003 with 105,000 miles. Everyday hooked to a 32ft gooseneck trailer. Some times haul block in back of truck or whatever works when not hooked to trailer.

Well, things are getting a little saggy and when a trailer is on now, it really hangs in the rear end. I think it is time to replace something. Both front end and rear I am thinking????

What are your thoughts? It is an job I can tackel? What products would you all recommend? Anything to "beef" things up on the chevy truck - so such as heavier shock?

I do all other maintance pretty much but never did this type of work b/f so anything would be helpful.

hosejockey2002
12-02-2010, 07:39 PM
Shocks are not meant to carry any weight, only to dampen the action of the springs. If your springs are sagging, there are number of options- Timbrens, air bags, heavier springs or you can have tired old springs re-arced. I have Timbrens on the rear of my truck. They work very well, but the way I have them set up it makes for a rougher ride.

cgaengineer
12-02-2010, 08:17 PM
Shocks are not your problem if the truck is sagging. Install an add a leaf and you should be good for a while.

If you install add a leafs you will need to replace shocks with a stiffer one due to the stronger springs.
Posted via Mobile Device

meets1
12-02-2010, 09:11 PM
So get new springs or just add a leaf spring? The longer or shorter leaf spring?

Also with all those miles you think the shocks are fine yet?

OR replace or add a leaf spring and also get new shocks?

Gravel Rat
12-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Time for new springs there is no other options it is the best option you can have a set of rear springs built to what ever you want.

Having springs re-arc'ed isn't a good option and adding a leaf to weak spring packs is bad news the original springs will start to break, been through all this before.

meets1
12-02-2010, 10:03 PM
Ok. Did some search on the net and there are a million things to do, not to do, what not. New spring - get them from OEM or parts dealer or what? I also think I should have new shock front and rear but I no little about this stuff and the net had something about 2" to every 240" of load but then if you have X brand or Y brand that will make a difference.

Net goes on to say you need a pro to do this as you could install, not line up, etc correctly. Others claim they did it with no problem?

I don't see it as an issue but just want great parts, goo support for the truck. I have the shop, the tools but I want the correct way of doing things I guess.

meets1
12-02-2010, 10:12 PM
Me again. Still searching via the net. One site that sells everything for every make and model says they have add on leaf springs. They also have Heavy Duty, extra heavy duty and extreme heavy duty. These are new springs. What the heck? I have no idea?

Gravel Rat
12-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Go to a local spring shop in your area and they can set you up with new U bolts and new set of springs. You can get leaf springs that a progressive so when your riding around empty the truck rides good but when you put a load on the truck the suspension stiffens up.

Heavy leaf springs on a 3/4 ton makes the truck a jitter bug and rides horrible.

meets1
12-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Thanks gravel rat. parts store visit in the am hours!

Gravel Rat
12-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Your pulling a 32 foot trailer regulary you definatly don't want to go the cheap route when it comes to repairing the rear suspension.

When you do replace the rear springs also buy new shocks, it seems to be Bilsteins work well on Chevy vehicals.

doubleedge
12-03-2010, 05:59 PM
If you are still on your first set of shocks, it is probably time to change those too. Bilsteins seem to be recommended most often.

meets1
12-03-2010, 11:38 PM
Ordered a set of blistons today. The springs - i have check numerous parts stores and every option under the sun. Went online - SuperSpring - anyone heard of them? One auto parts store did suggest these as an option.

cgaengineer
12-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Ordered a set of blistons today. The springs - i have check numerous parts stores and every option under the sun. Went online - SuperSpring - anyone heard of them? One auto parts store did suggest these as an option.

Thsts the same add a leafs I have...I think they are made but Superlift.
Posted via Mobile Device

fastlane
12-07-2010, 10:12 PM
Ordered a set of blistons today. The springs - i have check numerous parts stores and every option under the sun. Went online - SuperSpring - anyone heard of them? One auto parts store did suggest these as an option. Now that you ordered shocks the springs you get , have rearched or add to must match the shocks.