PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Finally over

RABBITMAN11
12-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Finished up today. Tomorrow snow on the way, time to get the plows ready. Hope everyone had a good year.

jbturf
12-03-2010, 06:42 PM
congrats
-- just finished weds myself-- woohoo
i feel this tremendous burden off my shoulders as soon
as the last lawn is treated

despite some rocky weather-- very good year here,
total expenses were down and gross sales were up

joel29m
12-03-2010, 06:44 PM
This year was kind of confusing for me. Last year it didn't get cold until the end if October, this year the first week of October and the last two weeks of September we had a drought of no rain, lost almost a grand in sept. and almost two in oct. But other than that I beat my last years income.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
12-03-2010, 07:01 PM
been done with round 6 for a couple of weeks now, been doing last mowings and leaves.

today was my last day with anything other than a leaf vac trailer for curbside that we just promoted

indyturf
12-03-2010, 07:07 PM
I tried to finish up today, worked till 6pm and was dark! but still have about 6 small lawns to go. But with 5" of snow coming tonite and cold next week I may be done. have 4 aeration's and dormant seeding to do when the snow melts.
Glad this year is over!!! was a good $$ year. but I'm really tired of looking at drought stressed lawns!

MnLefty
12-03-2010, 07:52 PM
We came to a screeching halt 3 weeks ago, Nov. 13, midway through the last round and 2/3rds through our fall cleanups. 6" of slushy wet snow, followed by enough cold to end the season. It had been in the 60's for multiple days earlier that week.

Every time we've come close to melting enough snow to at least get back out and finish a few more clean-ups we get another shot of snow. It's snowing now and we're looking at 4-7" by morning.

It's only been 3 weeks but it's starting to already feel like mid-winter around here.

fireman gus
12-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Finally got my last yard done today-MINE. I finished off my tank and got it winterized. I am planning on something different for next year so am going to start working on that tomorrow. Am putting a small tank on one of my Walkers and try to use it as much as possible instead of walking everything. We had a good year and already got several new clients lined up for next season.

RABBITMAN11
12-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Just spent the last couple hours wiring up salt spreader. After getting it all hooked up, the speader motor broke. uggggg.

MLAWCARE
12-04-2010, 12:21 AM
Just spent the last couple hours wiring up salt spreader. After getting it all hooked up, the speader motor broke. uggggg.

better now than on a job

joel29m
12-04-2010, 01:18 AM
i actually have two more yards to do tomorrow and two by the end of december, and had issues by starting late this morning with the battery on my ztr went dead.

lawn king
12-04-2010, 05:38 AM
One last 4 day run for us, just gonna make it as its getting cold here!

rcreech
12-04-2010, 09:09 AM
Running 2 machines today and hopefully 1 on Monday and we are done!

We still have a ton of aerations (not sure if they will get done)...and about 20 some dormant seedings and finally will get a few months off!

What a long drawn out season!!!!!

grassman177
12-04-2010, 09:13 AM
i would not aerate now! the holes will remian open over winter and lead to extra drying of the root zones, that is unless it is very wet for you all. dry here and cold

rcreech
12-04-2010, 04:36 PM
i would not aerate now! the holes will remian open over winter and lead to extra drying of the root zones, that is unless it is very wet for you all. dry here and cold

I have never aerated this late...but called my seed supplier and he said go until the ground is frozen.

This guy raises 500+ acres of sod and knows his crap!

I too had concerns about even freezing out and damage but he said no worries.

Since I didn't get any of my non-irrigated lawns done I would love to do them now if I can.

Not sure now though as we have about 4" of snow on the ground since this morning.

grassman177
12-04-2010, 06:03 PM
i have personally seed the damage caused from this and will not ever do it again. if you have a wet winter by all accounts then it is not a big deal, but those very dry and cold times are the hurt factor

OrganicsMaine
12-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Just aerated a lawn yesterday, and will be topdressing/dormant seeding on Monday. Never done it this late, hopefully the topdressing will help with the drying out. Plus, our average snowfall is 72", so we should be ok with moisture and a nice cover in the next few weeks!

This will be my last bit of work for the season.

grassman177
12-04-2010, 09:35 PM
i think you will be fine then, here is predicted for less than 17 in over the winter

Green-Tech Lawn Care
12-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Just finished except a few lime apps left. If someone would have told me that I would still be putting down end of round #6 on December 10th I am not sure if I would have believed it.
Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year to All.
Dan Schlieker