PDA

View Full Version : New Z-spray Deflector

ted putnam
12-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Anyone going to change to the new cable operated deflector shield for the Z-spray? Looked pretty sweet from the pics in the e-mail I received!:cool2:

RABBITMAN11
12-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Saw it the other day while.looking at my new z. Nice upgrade.
Posted via Mobile Device

Turf Dawg
12-03-2010, 09:18 PM
I do not have enough biz right now for one but I realllllly want a Z-Spray:cry::cry::cry:

Do ya'll think if I ordered one of these new shields and mounted it on my Lesco 80# then walked around going varoooom varooom it would make me feel better:laugh::laugh:

CHARLES CUE
12-03-2010, 09:27 PM
I do not have enough biz right now for one but I realllllly want a Z-Spray:cry::cry::cry:

Do ya'll think if I ordered one of these new shields and mounted it on my Lesco 80# then walked around going varoooom varooom it would make me feel better:laugh::laugh:

Yea get one and a Zspray sticker and you will be all set. Good luck with your new machine

Charles Cue

RigglePLC
12-03-2010, 09:54 PM
And paint it yellow--that should work. Better yet, ya know I saw a trooper at the Detroit airport last week he was riding a 2 wheel electric self balancing Segue--just cruise along behind your Lesco spread. It would be sweet.

grassman177
12-03-2010, 10:24 PM
i think we are going to order them, but i dont know. i want them of course but it is about the bossman agreeing to my demands,ahahhahah

ant
12-04-2010, 07:36 AM
is there a link?

rcreech
12-04-2010, 09:01 AM
We rarely even use a deflector...so I am not sure.

Glad they just added another option to the machine.

People love options and what some need other may not.

grassman177
12-04-2010, 09:14 AM
it is not needed you know, as we can reach over the machine to put it down or up, but it is a stretch and this jsut makes it much easier. i think it is a great thing.

Service 1st Lawn Care
12-04-2010, 09:33 AM
No need takes 2 sec. to get off and put down or up, just another thing that will need lubed and maybe replaced in time.

R&S Lawn Care
12-04-2010, 10:14 AM
That figures, as soon as I get a 2010 max, they now offer the remote deflector!!! Would like to see pictures.

turfsolutions
12-04-2010, 01:55 PM
Decent add on, however I would much rather prefer them automate the spreader setting. How many times a day do I get off the machine to make a minor adjustment or open the hopper up all the way to let a clump pass through.

grassman177
12-04-2010, 03:26 PM
both good statements. i would also like to automate it, but the cost vs durabitliy would off the bat seem high without looking into what it would take.

i do however have no issues so far with minimal care as far as cables etc with corosion.

i think i would like to see padding for the operator area, but dont know enough about how that would play with heat etc being next to wheel motors and everything else. i do get beat up a bit somtimes in the operators platorm.

FERT-TEK
12-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Z-spray and others, will this remote deflector control be available as a aftermarket add on or must you buy a new machine to get it.

I am probably adding the spray boom to my Jr 36 this winter and would considder the remote deflector kit if the price was right.

GravelyGuy
12-05-2010, 06:45 PM
Less cables the better. An average sized person should be able to raise/lower the shield without getting off the machine.

MacLawnCo
12-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Z-spray and others, will this remote deflector control be available as a aftermarket add on or must you buy a new machine to get it.

I am probably adding the spray boom to my Jr 36 this winter and would considder the remote deflector kit if the price was right.
email says $175 for the upgrade.

Id like to know if they changed the actual metal part of the deflector. I personally think the deflector they have on there now (2010 unit) is crap. The scotts spreaders' deflectors I have make the z's look like a joke.

grassman177
12-05-2010, 06:55 PM
i think the zspray deflectors are the best i have used, funny you say the scotts is better as i use one of those, lesco and have used jrco and they were far inferior to the zspray.

the new one is different though and also to the guy who asked yes they are an upgrade kit you can put on older machines(not too old)

sprayboy
12-05-2010, 07:33 PM
email says $175 for the upgrade.

Id like to know if they changed the actual metal part of the deflector. I personally think the deflector they have on there now (2010 unit) is crap. The scotts spreaders' deflectors I have make the z's look like a joke.

Yes the deflector is curved and it looks like all the parts are included for full assembly. It fits all z's from 2005 to present. Units built after November 2010 will have new shield.

Volman
12-05-2010, 07:58 PM
can anybody post pics or link

James Cormier
12-06-2010, 06:15 AM
Im pretty short (5-7) and can reach to open and close on my jr36 so i dont think I would spend the money on this. I will however try and re engineer the deflector to actually work, and keep the material from shooting to the left.

I dont understand people that say they never use this. If your machine is made to over lap to the center of your wheel marks then you should have the deflector down on every lawn when you make your perimeter spread?

If not then are you getting enough material on the outside of your first spread? I guess your fine if you run your outside tire at the very edge of the lawn, but then are you not dumping alot of fert of target in that case?

ZSpray Info
12-06-2010, 09:53 AM
The new deflector shield is designed to be retor fitted on older machines as well. We redesigned the shield itself as well.

rcreech
12-06-2010, 12:01 PM
Im pretty short (5-7) and can reach to open and close on my jr36 so i dont think I would spend the money on this. I will however try and re engineer the deflector to actually work, and keep the material from shooting to the left.

I dont understand people that say they never use this. If your machine is made to over lap to the center of your wheel marks then you should have the deflector down on every lawn when you make your perimeter spread?

If not then are you getting enough material on the outside of your first spread? I guess your fine if you run your outside tire at the very edge of the lawn, but then are you not dumping alot of fert of target in that case?

Just as I would argue that if you are putting down you deflector shield that you are putting down TOO MUCH product if you are not adjusting your dial! :)

If it is a real small area...we use a scatter box just so we don't waste product, but on all other areas we overlap enough as we have to blow off the sidewalks anyway!

I always tell the guys that is really doesn't take much longer to blow off 100 prills then it does 10. You still have to blow off...so do a good job of getting the edges!

When putting pre down...I like to have a "lil xtra" along the edges anyway!

Been doing it for over 5 years now and no problems! I won't say we don't ever use it...but rarely!
If LT Rich took off the deflector shield...it wouldn't affect the way we do business! :)

grassman177
12-06-2010, 01:07 PM
i do that as well rodney, but not always as it depends on the product used

americanlawn
12-06-2010, 07:02 PM
Hi Ted -- this kinda reminds me when Z-Spray guys copied/utilized the TURFCO "T3000 boomless spray nozzle" a year or two ago.

Back in 2008, I posted pros/cons regarding the Z-Spray units vs T3000 units. One comparison showed the benefits of the T3000 "deflector shield" >> compared to the Z-Spray's "climb-over-the-machine" shield. The T3000 shield also allowed us to use it "on the fly" without having to slow down.

Question: Is this shield a "copycat", or is it something new? Patent infringements?

Just curious, cuz most of my LS friends are Z-Nazi's. :laugh::laugh:

rscvp, thanks :waving:

Anyone going to change to the new cable operated deflector shield for the Z-spray? Looked pretty sweet from the pics in the e-mail I received!:cool2:

James Cormier
12-06-2010, 07:25 PM
I blow off every walkway, driveway and pool deck as well. I just notice the z makes more of a mess then other machines Ive used in the past. Which can be a problem if its raining ( or wet ) and the prills leave a stain before I blow, or if its a smaller pool deck and I tend to get product in the pool.

I do carry a whirly bird hand spreader for those areas. I just think the deflector can be a little larger and longer and that would solve that problem. Seems alot sneaks over the top of the deflector so my plan is to make a little rubber skirt to mount there.

rcreech
12-06-2010, 09:01 PM
Hi Ted -- this kinda reminds me when Z-Spray guys copied/utilized the TURFCO "T3000 boomless spray nozzle" a year or two ago.

Back in 2008, I posted pros/cons regarding the Z-Spray units vs T3000 units. One comparison showed the benefits of the T3000 "deflector shield" >> compared to the Z-Spray's "climb-over-the-machine" shield. The T3000 shield also allowed us to use it "on the fly" without having to slow down.

Question: Is this shield a "copycat", or is it something new? Patent infringements?

Its only patent infringement if a person has a patent!
I am not sure why someone would put a patent on a deflector shield!

sprayboy
12-06-2010, 10:00 PM

Do we need to ask the question of which ride-on came first?

Z or t

Copycat?

ted putnam
12-06-2010, 11:56 PM

Hey Larry. No patent infringement that I know of. Kinda like the boomless nozzle. No law against using a Hypro nozzle unless you make a boomless nozzle to Hypro specs, market it and try to say you invented it. I haven't watched the Turfco video in a while and nobody around here uses one. Doesn't the T3000 use the border patrol that Spyker produces? I'd have to look closer at the e-mail I got from Z-spray but it appeared to be made of stainless steele and was not a typical deflector like I have seen before.
By the way. I was out killing Fescue in my pasture on the Z the other day and one of my buddies that lives down the road from me came by and threw a coke can out the window and across the fence in an effort to give me Hell. I was able to drive with one hand and flip him the "Bird" with the other without having a wreck or injuring myself. I was absolutely amazed! I knew you would be too when I shared this with you.

rcreech
12-07-2010, 01:04 PM
Not only that...but if you change a bolt hole pattern..it isn't patent infringement.

Let alone two totally different designs!

Service 1st Lawn Care
12-07-2010, 03:04 PM
Patent infringement gee Larry the new Turfco aerator sure does look a lot like the lawn Solutions, just saying!!

americanlawn
12-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Good points. I'm glad Z-Spray is improving their deflector shield -- it's about time IMO. Every time a piece of equipment is improved, it puts pressure on other companies to compete in the market place. That's always good for lawn jockeys like us. I'm glad we don't have to deal with patents, etc.........seems like a huge headache. One bolt here, one bolt there???

I just wish there were quality ride-on units available in my younger years. Cuz "swinging the hose" over the years has paid a price on my body. (elbows, knees, lower back, etc)

grassman177
12-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Good points. I'm glad Z-Spray is improving their deflector shield -- it's about time IMO. Every time a piece of equipment is improved, it puts pressure on other companies to compete in the market place. That's always good for lawn jockeys like us. I'm glad we don't have to deal with patents, etc.........seems like a huge headache. One bolt here, one bolt there???

I just wish there were quality ride-on units available in my younger years. Cuz "swinging the hose" over the years has paid a price on my body. (elbows, knees, lower back, etc)
i feel exactly like this, i dont look at it as any of the companies we talk about on here are "bad".

I love the competition from a consumer standpoint just like you do. i am also a machine nut, i am a bit fascinated my the progression of human innovation using machines to WORK for us.

americanlawn
12-08-2010, 05:42 PM
:waving:ditto

Just so they are made in the USA :usflag: