PDA

View Full Version : what would be to much truck

swing blade
08-24-2002, 10:24 PM
I am looking at the dodge ram 3500 four door dually longbed turbo diesel with a banks turbo kit, 5th wheel hitch, load balls in front and rear for added suspension plus helper springs. It is a very big truck, and will be used for towing landscape trailer( 24 ft enclosed qualifer) and a gooseneck heave equipment trailer. Other than that i will use it for moving my horses around. Is this too big????????:D

Brickman
08-25-2002, 12:29 PM
This must be either a super cab with the half doors to make 4 or else a custom truck. Because I have never seen a Dodge 3/4 or 1 ton with full sized 4 doors. And I have seen too many Dodges.

As far as too much truck, I doubt it. But it will be a pain if you ever want to go shopping with it. I have one vehicle, F 250 super cab long bed 4x4. It takes up a lot of room and many resturants, and other stores parking lots aren't laid out with the idea of a full sized truck.

Dennis E.
08-25-2002, 01:30 PM
Never. Sounds like a nice ride. Paul is correct on the parking problem.
A tight turn for me is going around the block!!;) :D
My truck takes up a lot of real estate.
Drive-thru's at banks and fast food places? No way.
Being paranoid about dings and what not I'll park a ways away and walk anyway.
Go for it.:D

Gravel Rat
08-25-2002, 04:17 PM
Yes long trucks are a pita my F-Superduty with a 161WB and a 12x7.6 dump box isn't parking lot friendly and these 450 trucks don't turn sharp whatsoever. Most of the time I can never make a right turn into a parking lot off of the street in one pass with a entrance that is two car widths wide. I can do it in one pass if I take it wide and go in the other lane but usually there is a car there and I have some one behind me getting impatient.
The rear right duals are always up and over the curb over the sidewalk through plantings behind the curb. :o

Once your in the lot its time tobe real carefull if I ever hooked anything with the steelbox on my truck it would tear out anything it got hooked on. When I do find a slot to park in I usually always back in I can never swing in with one pass driving forwards. Its also easier to see when you leave when you back in again the steel box would wipe off a good chunk of a roof on a car if I backed into one.

When I do find a spot to park in its usually really tight they don't make them wide enough for a dual wheeled truck but I can squeeze the back of the truck in being a commercial driver I can back into a spot with 3 inches on either side of the truck with no probs.

It kinda pizzes the owner of the car on my left side because now they can't get into their drivers door and with most cars being shorter than my truck my drivers door clears just fine :D

Back to the point of this posters question no you can never have a large enough truck if you are going tobe doing heavy work with it. My choice of truck definatly wouldn't be Dodge but their 1 ton truck is about equal to a 3/4 ton Ford so that should be heavy enough ;)

Brickman
08-25-2002, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Gravel Rat
My choice of truck definatly wouldn't be Dodge but their 1 ton truck is about equal to a 3/4 ton Ford so that should be heavy enough ;)

:D :D :dizzy: :dizzy:

bob
08-26-2002, 09:47 PM
no

swing blade
08-27-2002, 12:02 AM
thanks guys, and yes it is a custom ride that my friend built up. he loves big toys and so do I, I just wish i could get me one of them Komatsu dumps from thec coal mines, take it to the mall and park over some compact cars. Only in my dreams though.

Mow&Snow
09-02-2002, 07:08 PM
There is no such thing as too much truck......when was the last time u said to yourself "Boy I wish my truck was just alittle lighter duty"?
You must see my point

CT18fireman
09-02-2002, 09:46 PM
Actually I said that today when my F350 dump sunk into the grass I was working on. I said to myself, "Should have brought my Toyota today." Luckily 4wd and the PSD pulled the truck and chipper out. Tomorrow the Toyota 4x4 will be on the job.

Mow&Snow
09-03-2002, 08:23 PM
Well if only you had a Chevy to pull them both out.....

Brickman
09-03-2002, 11:53 PM
The Fords have twice as heavy of tow hooks as the Chev. And they have two hooks, so that means the Ford can tow twice as much and twice as often as the Chev. And the Chev hook is so wimpy looking I bet my F 250 could break the hook and your Chev would still be stuck. :D :D

hoagie
09-04-2002, 12:57 AM

Hee hee ha ha ha... that was good. Chevy... ha ha ha. Have another! :drinkup:

Lanelle
09-04-2002, 01:26 AM
This question reminds me of that old song about too much money and too much fun (There ain't no such thang).
On a slightly more serious note---have you added up all the weights to see if you need a CDL when you are hauling around all of that? This summer a guy I know of was hauling a long enclosed trailer with his very nice truck -- got nailed with $1000.00 ticket cuz he didn't have a CDL and his loaded trailer was heavy enough to require it. So much for his fun for that day.

corey77
07-03-2005, 09:21 PM
that is why them cab over turcks are so good thay turn on a dine I have never got the chance to drive one sobbssssss but had talked to people that have.

Smalltimer1
07-03-2005, 10:58 PM

You'd have to add oil before you left home, when you got there, and before you pulled out... :D

fool32696
07-04-2005, 12:47 PM
The 2003 and up 3/4 and 1 ton dodges are available with four doors, up until 2002 you could only get an extended cab. A friend of mine has a half ton chevy 4x4 and the tow hooks do look wimpy. I have a 3/4 ton GMC and the tow hooks are very heavy duty. My 4x4 dmax would be dragging the biggest ford out there in circles ripping parts off before they thought about bending. What's with the stupid comments about oil use? Never have to add any to my truck. The ford 5.4 litre is another story, Just go to a ford forum and read for yourself. I read that some use as much as a quart between oil changes. I'm sure GM had some oil users in its past but don't make overly general childish statements not backed up by fact. Please refrain from brand wars, all of the big three make good trucks and I'd be proud to drive any of them.

Grassmechanic
07-04-2005, 02:31 PM
He can't help it. He's got blue oval on the brain. :rolleyes:

Smalltimer1
07-04-2005, 05:37 PM
My 4x4 dmax would be dragging the biggest ford out there in circles ripping parts off before they thought about bending.

You ask for facts, yet this is what we see?

What's with the stupid comments about oil use? Never have to add any to my truck.

Come drive our '98 Chevy with the Vortec 350 and only 32k, you'll find out what oil use is.

The ford 5.4 litre is another story, Just go to a ford forum and read for yourself. I read that some use as much as a quart between oil changes.

Got 2 5.4's in the family, not a single one uses a drop of oil. Your stories must have came from people who don't change their oil and actually believe that AMSOIL crap. Do a search on the 8.1L and oil consumption and see what comes up.

I'm sure GM had some oil users in its past but don't make overly general childish statements not backed up by fact.

Visit www.pistonslap.com and see facts. There are naysayers, but you can see it first hand there. Chevy made good trucks in the 60's, 70's and early 80's (with the exception of the diesels) but I don't like any of the newer ones, and the piston slap/knock problems just adds to my dislike of the new ones.

RedWingsDet
07-04-2005, 05:37 PM
all of the big three make good trucks and I'd be proud to drive any of them.

ditto that. As long as its big 3, its a great truck! all trucks can do the same job, its just all about the luxuries on the truck. Dodge is a play truck, ford is a work truck, and chevy is a work and recreational truck. As long as its a big 3, its a great truck!

jtkplc
07-04-2005, 07:06 PM
This must be either a super cab with the half doors to make 4 or else a custom truck. Because I have never seen a Dodge 3/4 or 1 ton with full sized 4 doors. And I have seen too many Dodges.

it's called a quad cab. 4 doors, but the rear doors are smaller than the front.

Smalltimer1
07-04-2005, 11:34 PM
it's called a quad cab. 4 doors, but the rear doors are smaller than the front.

Dodges had a full crew cab prior to '94, however you couldn't get them with the Cummins. Either 360 or 440 was your choices, believe the 440 was discontinued in '83 or '84.