PDA

View Full Version : Painted Equipment

Garth Sweet
12-06-2010, 08:39 AM
I have heard that if your equipment is spray painted it is less desireable to the scum that would steal it and pawn it.

This was tested (not the best test) the other day when we were broken in to. They took the stuff that was not sprayed but left the stuff that was sprayed.

Could have been they got so much they could no carry it or the paint. I dont know but all my stuff is getting painted this week.

Let me know what you think.

Jason Rose
12-06-2010, 09:40 AM
Sorry to hear about the thefts! Hopefully you weren't out of pocket too much!

I think a lot of big companies do the paint deal, usually some god-awful color and haphazzardly sprayed so that it's obvious. They don't care about resale value though. While some guys are washing and waxing their mowers they wouldn't dream of spraying paint on them, lol. It probably does work and would make it much easier if something was stolen to attempt to track it down, assuming it ended up at a pawn shop. Much easier to call and inquire about a stihl saw that has pink paint on it instead of just a stihl saw...

nolanjim
12-06-2010, 03:19 PM
Yes, I have spray painted equipment. Less desirable and not a single piece have been stolen. As long as the internals are clean then all is good.
Posted via Mobile Device

newjerseylandscaping
12-21-2010, 02:06 AM
I plan on painting some of my more expensive equipment and the cheap stuff i will put companys logo sticker and a hidden mark in permi marker so it cant go byby and they wont ever guess where it is.

Cloud9Landscapes
12-24-2010, 09:48 PM
No thanks, I paid too much for a blue shindaiwa. :laugh:

I'll keep this in mind.

bel-nor
12-25-2010, 09:36 AM
The paint is agood idea and always use a scriber to ingrave company name, contact number and company phone/cell number on the eqipment. Keep all model, serial and name brands on a log with you on the truck or in your cell phone. Get these numbers to Law Enforcement as soon as possible! These identifiers are entered into NCIC after being reported to Law Enforcement. This is a national data base that just may help get the equipment located. I can understand Ryob and Homelit in a Pawn shop, but when I see commercial brands Im suspicious. Most Pawn shops pay into Leads on Line inwhich they are supposed to enter equipment coming into their shop with serial numbers...ahh sometimes they may be off a number or letter or two who'd a thunk it. If you catch a theif don't kick a camp fire in his a$$ or make him unload a trailer of mulch (the lazy bastard) just call the police.

topsites
12-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Yeah, the reason it makes it less desirable is because it's easy to identify!

The thieves know it, when it's like that you can recognize your equipment from a mile away
even if or when it's all mixed in with someone else's, makes it impossible for them to sell the stuff
to anyone even remotely around your neck of the woods.

Which, it's not a guarantee that it won't get stolen but it is a cheap fix, spend a few dollars on some nasty
looking color of spray paint and a few blasts of that onto every piece of equipment, blam, over and done.

Also helps if you have buddies who like to "borrow" your stuff.

byHISgrace
12-27-2010, 09:31 PM
Plum safety purple! Equipment slippage dropped to almost zero, still had 2 brand new Shindaiwa T-270 stolen by an employee though.

h2oskier
12-28-2010, 08:29 AM
Thats why mine is pink with different color polka dots makes it a real discussion piece when i show up on my customers houses though.

Lurch01
01-29-2011, 08:21 PM
Ok, So I need to paint a lot of new equipment. I guess after the first season when I have down time, I will paint it sky blue and grass green, with company logo. Thanks For the input, I do enjoy painting. and theft is BIG concern.

Lurch01
02-27-2011, 10:35 PM
Tomorrow, We finally spend 10 K on new toys, Thanks to your advice, I have a stencil made and I will spray Paint W.O.C.G on all the big items and I guess some paint pens for the hand held items.

Anyone Stencil Paint on the company names?

cuttin-to-the-Max
02-28-2011, 03:45 PM
Tomorrow, We finally spend 10 K on new toys, Thanks to your advice, I have a stencil made and I will spray Paint W.O.C.G on all the big items and I guess some paint pens for the hand held items.

Anyone Stencil Paint on the company names?

On all of my skid steers and snow pushers we have Logo'ed stickers and and Most have a Stenciled company name and phone number

vencops
02-28-2011, 11:41 PM
I'm gonna have my sign guy make me a logo stencil (my logo should be pretty simple).

I'm gonna spray my new ZTR in several places. I'll have it 'til the wheels fall off, though.

THEGOLDPRO
03-01-2011, 12:15 AM
i spray all my handhelds with safety orange paint, usually on the bottom of things so you cant see it unless you flip em over. and i spray all my hand tools and shovels on the handles because my buddies always seem to wander into my shop and borrow things and forget to return them. this way i can spot them in an instant when i see em at their houses or on their trucks.

newjerseylandscaping
03-01-2011, 01:19 AM
The gold pro can we get some pics? im legitamently intredted to see this.

Birchwood
03-01-2011, 11:23 AM
I use to work for a large company and would take the time to give small equipment a nice paint job in solid ugly color, mostly to discourage theft, and to separate from each division with different colors, larger equipment would get a specific design welded in a certain place that even if ground off you could still find.

JFGauvreau
03-01-2011, 05:29 PM
I remember seeing a big picture thread on this site, i'm pretty sure it was from PRO TURF, very big company. He has stickers with his logo and phone number on everything. Trimmers, hand held, shovels, rakes, wheelbarrow.

It's what I plan on doing, even on my wheel barrow. Neighbors see you working with a normal rusty wheel barrow, they think your just a friend helping them. If they see you with a spray painted green wheel barrow (that you still did a decent job on the paint) with the logo on the sides, they will know its a company that is working.

It's all about the image of the company also.

ALLPro Landscaping
03-01-2011, 08:52 PM
A company I have worked for paint every thing from their utility knives to more valuable stuff, the they stencil their name on every thing, i mean this company goes thru a whole lot of spray paint. well a while back a pawn shop called them and said we have some of your tools here, a guy was looking to pawn them for some cash, well guy got arrested and the tools were returned, so yes it works

THEGOLDPRO
03-02-2011, 12:31 AM
The gold pro can we get some pics? im legitamently intredted to see this.

i suppose i can snap a few pics tomorrow, its nothing pretty just an effective way for me to spot my stuff.

newjerseylandscaping
03-02-2011, 12:00 PM
id appreciate it

Lurch01
03-03-2011, 05:45 PM
I painted W.O.C.G in white letters on all my mowers today with some 3 inch letter stencils and I bought a paint pen and put info on the hand held as well. Thanks for the advice. Now everything has an inventory # on it as well.

I bought the stencils at home depot they are on the same isle as the mailbox lettering.