PDA

View Full Version : Landscape Lighting - Winter Images

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-06-2010, 11:24 AM
I came out of the shop the other night and was inspired by the beauty of all the fresh snow clinging to, well, everything. So I got the camera out and took some snaps. I haven't done this in a while... (okay so maybe more like 7 years!) but I think I will have to make the effort to take more winter photos.

FYI, no this is not a client's property or a paid for system... just some photos of the lighting around my own home, so please be nice. :) It is subject to change on a whim.

RLDesign
12-06-2010, 01:25 PM
Hello James,

A few clients have discussed the cool outside temp of the fixtures in the LED uplight retrofits. A couple clients notified me they are not melting the snow, which I was aware of. What is the industry considering as an answer to that problem? I know many contractors down South do not compete with the cold? I have salt spray, ICE, and snow. Any advice on what to say to a client who may possibly invest $10,000 in an LED retrofit that will see a limited version of his design during the winter. Short of servicing his system in the snow, is there a way around it?

Thanks,

Tanek
Reynolds

Illumicare
12-06-2010, 02:55 PM
You will find that LEDs; either lamps or fixture will melt the snow. It just might take a bit more "on time" depending on the amount of snow and the timing of when it falls.

Illumicare
12-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Duplicate post... pls delete.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-06-2010, 03:10 PM
LEDs do melt the snow (as evident in the photos) just at a slower rate than their halogen cousins. It really all comes down to how much snow, how fast and at what time. If it is snowing on the fixtures when they are on, the snow melts when it comes in contact with the fixture. If you get a heavy dump of snow, the LEDs will melt it off, but it might take a night or two to get the full snow load melted. If you receive a light snowfall during the day, the fixtures generally are melted through after one night.

Here we get quite a bit of snow. So much so that even halogen lamped systems have difficulties melting it all away from ingrade and bullet up light applications. For the most part the client's understand this and do not expect their systems to look the same during the winter as they do in the summer. Simply explaining to the client what they an expect will generally quell their concerns. Also by designing your systems to use a good variety of lighting techiques (downlighting, area/path lighting, grazing/highlighting, and uplighting) you will ensure that your clients always have an effective system no matter what the season.

RLI Electric
12-06-2010, 03:50 PM
Nice pictures, gotta love when the leaves drop. Now, how bout some pictures of that shop? I am getting ready to start building my barn and I have severe garage/barn envy going on right now. It will be 24 by 30 with a second floor on top. I will be able to keep the truck in there and still have a workshop. My little workshop in the house is now taken up by wine making equipment so I need a new spot. I wish you guys were like carpenters on some of the other forums. I don't think they work. They pimp out their workshops and post them online for geeks like me to drool over.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Sorry Bob, but my shop/office is not all that photo-worthy. I have a 30x24 (2.5 car) garage down below with a one room, dormer style office up above. Nothing too fancy although the office is nice, warm, welcoming and finished. Down below is a bunch of shelving, work bench, and storage for the car and I keep it heated which is nice.

No plumbing which is a shame, but I didn't have those kinds of funds back when I built the place.

niteliters
12-06-2010, 05:07 PM
I came out of the shop the other night and was inspired by the beauty of all the fresh snow clinging to, well, everything. So I got the camera out and took some snaps. I haven't done this in a while... (okay so maybe more like 7 years!) but I think I will have to make the effort to take more winter photos.

FYI, no this is not a client's property or a paid for system... just some photos of the lighting around my own home, so please be nice. :) It is subject to change on a whim.

love winter photos James.

irrig8r
12-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Hello James,

A few clients have discussed the cool outside temp of the fixtures in the LED uplight retrofits. A couple clients notified me they are not melting the snow, which I was aware of. What is the industry considering as an answer to that problem? I know many contractors down South do not compete with the cold? I have salt spray, ICE, and snow. Any advice on what to say to a client who may possibly invest $10,000 in an LED retrofit that will see a limited version of his design during the winter. Short of servicing his system in the snow, is there a way around it?

Thanks,

Tanek
Reynolds

Yeah. Move to Southern California.

Hey, watch where you're throwing that snowball!

:-)

Tim R.
12-06-2010, 08:31 PM
diggin the spruce photo. Love snow and lighting. Really makes the shadows pop.

trailboss
12-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Nice pictures, gotta love when the leaves drop. Now, how bout some pictures of that shop? I am getting ready to start building my barn and I have severe garage/barn envy going on right now. It will be 24 by 30 with a second floor on top. I will be able to keep the truck in there and still have a workshop. My little workshop in the house is now taken up by wine making equipment so I need a new spot. I wish you guys were like carpenters on some of the other forums. I don't think they work. They pimp out their workshops and post them online for geeks like me to drool over.

Bob, where are these carpenter forums you speak of? Im always looking for new ideas for my shop or trailer. Like you, I drool over those "pimped out" workshops.

RLI Electric
12-07-2010, 06:26 AM
I have seen it on Contractor Talk and I don't remember the other one but it was probably an electrician site that I saw it on.

Pro-Scapes
12-08-2010, 11:15 AM
Bob I am just getting my 24x36 up. The inside is still bare studs but when I slow down come Jan and Feb (usually cut back to 40 hours per week about then) I will get the inside wrapped with tounge and groove cypress. Its been preplumbed for hvac and plumbing (no commode but the house is nearby) altho I have not installed it yet.

I opted not to do a loft in this one. It would stick up much higher than the house and kill my natural surrounding by making me lose about 4 mature trees plus I want nothing to do with hauling alot of things up and down the stairs.

The office is in the main house still and I still have a 12x20 lofted barn storage building that serves to house my stock now. We also have a 20x40 lean to building I am considering removing in favor of a 32x50 metal clear span barn because I Need a place for the motorcycles and other toys etc.

There is still a ton of work to do outside here from when we added on to the house. I have not poured 2 patios or done the landscape yet.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
12-08-2010, 11:22 AM
diggin the spruce photo. Love snow and lighting. Really makes the shadows pop.

Hi Tim. It is actually a very large and quite oddly shaped white pine, about 60' tall and the outer edge of the canopy has to be 30' in Dia. Photos don't do it justice but the light actually goes all the way up to the very tips.