PDA

View Full Version : Take Downs, rentals, storage

OrganicsMaine
12-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Hi guys,

I know this is your busy time with this, so when you get a chance, any info you can pass along would be great.

I am putting together a plan to expand into this for 2011 so my questions are: The prices I've seen you post here, does that include the take down and storage? Also, are you having the customer "rent" the lights from you, or are they buying up front and are you just storing and maintaining them?

I will be asking a lot more questions, but I'll be waiting until after the holidays for that!

Thanks for the help, and I hope you all are still going strong!

turf hokie
12-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Depends on who you are talking to....I rent as well as hotrod, I think most other guys on here sell.

I cant speak to the selling concept about if their prices include everything or if items such as take down and storage are extra.

My prices are all inclusive because we are renting. But I wont post my prices on here as it is all relative to market and overheads. My indirect costs are much more than some other parts of the country. I also have more and more competetion coming into my area that like to lurk on sites like this.....

hotrod1965
12-06-2010, 10:09 PM
Like Bryan said, I rent.

As far as pricing, it really doesn't matter what we say, its all market driven.

My bit of advice, if you are going to rent, start with a small focussed product line. For example, C9's for the roof and mini lights for trees....... You'll make more money over the long haul that way!

OrganicsMaine
12-06-2010, 11:49 PM
Thanks guys, like I said earlier, I'll have a lot of questions in January!

Hope things are going well for you this season.

addictedtolandscaping
12-09-2010, 08:28 AM
I am extremely interested in this as well, so January it is.

David Gretzmier
12-10-2010, 12:40 AM
as a seller I quote all items as either 1st year or 2nd year prices, as in I sell a 4 foot mixed noble wreath for 269 for a year one price that includes install takedown and storage, cords, timers and tax, and year 2 price is 85 and includes labor up, down, and storage.

when you sell, it is complicated enough to quote inclusive 1st and 2nd year prices without trying to break out purchase price, install labor, takedown labor, storage fee, then cords and timers, tax, etc. keep it simple and try to minimize numbers on the proposal page to all inclusive prices and quantities of those items, and brief words describing where those items go.

OrganicsMaine
12-10-2010, 06:52 AM
That is certainly simple enough and I agree that by quoting 1 all inclusive price makes selling much easier. So you are selling them the wreath, and storing it for them. What happens if they decide to no longer have you (or anybody) do their lights? Do you drop off the whole lot of decorations?

I do also agree that by getting the money up front, you avoid any BS while trying to collect in the future.