PDA

View Full Version : Off to another winter class!

RABBITMAN11
12-07-2010, 07:00 AM
Off to the Midwest Regional Turf Foundation class here in Indy. Anyone going?
Need 5 more credits. Sometimes it would be a whole lot cheaper just to take the test again.

a plus bob
12-07-2010, 07:17 AM
Off to the Midwest Regional Turf Foundation class here in Indy. Anyone going?
Need 5 more credits. Sometimes it would be a whole lot cheaper just to take the test again.

When they raised the number of credits needed,and lowered the number given per event. I decided to stop going and retest.Also the last IPLA event I attended the speaker was a no show and the state chemist gave no CCH's after the IPLA said we would receive credit.Sucks to retest but I feel the CCH's are a rip off.

sprayboy
12-07-2010, 08:28 AM
I always heard the retest was alot harder so I normally keep up the credits.

Am going to the winter workshop next week.

Ric
12-07-2010, 09:15 AM
This Thursday will mark 3 Thursdays in a row I have been to a CEU Class of some type . OF COURSE I ALWAYS PRE REGISTER. I already have more than enough CEU for next years License Renewal. This Seminar is on Aquatic Weed and Algae Control.

Unbelievable BUT Under Florida Pesticide Law you don't need a license to spray Aquatic Weeds. However The Water management District and the EPA require a ton of paperwork in order to get permits for Aquatic Weed Control. BTW They want a Certified Aquatic License to issue a permit. It is that new required Paper work that I hope to learn all the inn's and outs of. Three Years ago I got a permit for Grass Carp on line, printing the permit right then. a few months ago I applied for the same permit on the same pond to restock, and had to get an act of congress to get a permit that took over a month. BTW Limited Licensed Yard Boys shouldn't over look the additional profit of Detention and Retention areas with the Aquatic License. Most Commercial properties have some form of Aquatic area.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-07-2010, 12:21 PM
To go to a recert course here and here would be a pain.
Here in MN, we can attend the MN Green Expo and get full recert in 1 day. It's a long day's worth, but good to get it done without piecing things together.

Ric
12-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Here in MN, we can attend the MN Green Expo and get full recert in 1 day. It's a long day's worth, but good to get it done without piecing things together.

With all the Free or Cheap CEU on line no one should be worried about re-certifying unless they have their Head where the Sun doesn't shine. Florida BEPC list most of those providers on their website. I have seen other states do the same.

americanlawn
12-08-2010, 06:46 PM
I hear ya buddy. My guys would rather "retest" once a year compared to attending a video link several times each year. (for several obvious reasons)

We recently sent several applicators to a re-certification course. Basically, most of our company "shut down" for the entire afternoon, yet we carefully planned for it. You already know that when we showed up, we were "turned away" with no notice whatsoever. Seems our extension office failed to notify folks that the "event was canceled".

Okay.......then we "pre-registered" for the "next go-around". This way, we would be able to be notified if "they cancel the next one". As of now, at least two of my guys will be out of state. They are unable to attend. Yet we prepaid. Hummmmm

Our prob is we run a successful business (as you know), so we need to be able to take care of our customers while carefully planning. Shutting our business down for a half day is just plain stupid. (my opinion :confused:)

Dec 10 is when we "hope" the event will happen. Dec 11 = plowing snow. That's playing it close. How 'bout the guys out of state who cannot attend?

OUR 2 cents :hammerhead:

MnLefty
12-08-2010, 07:01 PM

Our test here is too easy... I'll prefer to just re-test rather than sit through some of the same dry recert courses that I attended in the early 2000's while I was a golf course applicator. I just got back in the game this year, so I retested this past January and scored a bit over 90 without ever cracking a book. I'll hit the Green Expo for a few classes that can hold my interest, but the full day recert is not happening for me.

Turf Dawg
12-08-2010, 08:08 PM
I was hoping to make it to the Texas A & M turfgrass short course in Jan., but for the price of 625 for the course and 5 nights of hotels and eats, I guess I will save my money.

jasontimm
12-08-2010, 09:01 PM

I hit the re-cert in Rochester this past october of this year, and it was a great day for class, heavy rain and cold, i got lucky not to loose a day of work, or have to worry about snow!! good for two more years. Re-test? na, it takes a day to drive to MPLS and re-test, besides, i usually learn something new in class.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Jason where is the recert in Roch?
I have been doing mine at the Green Expo so I can take in the trade show at the same time. If Roch's is cheaper, I may rethink.

hunter140
12-11-2010, 08:26 AM
in the state i live in we are required to attend a 3-4 hour recert every 5 years
3-4 hours around $ 50.00 nice and easy the smallest state rhode island

Ric
12-11-2010, 09:08 AM
This Thursday will mark 3 Thursdays in a row I have been to a CEU Class of some type . OF COURSE I ALWAYS PRE REGISTER. I already have more than enough CEU for next years License Renewal.

USE IT OR LOSE IT.

I really can't understand anyone not wanting to go or send employees to CEU seminars. The more you know the more income you make. If your production schedule is so tight you can't give up a day or two here and there, What do you do in Bad Weather???? If your margin is so low missing a day will kill your margin then you have a BAD Business plan, It is time to flip burgs at Mickey D's instead of being a TG/CL Wannabe.

americanlawn
12-12-2010, 06:55 PM
It's "35 bucks" per person (here), and it takes a half day to attend one of these "WASTE OF TIME" EVENTS. All but two of us "showed" up on December 10 ---- too bad cuz "ALL" of us were ON TIME A MONTH AGO when "she" decided to CANCEL the original event with NO NOTICE WHATSOEVER. That cost us 1/2 day in salary expenses. Maybe it's cuz of state cutbacks - not sure, but we weren't the only ones that "got burnt". Several other LCO friends were also "waiting outside" when we were -- only to find out the extension personnel "had their own agenda". wtf????????????? :confused:

If we ran our business that way, ..........we'll, you get the picture. Maybe some think we should carry a "crystal ball" with us, but we ain't God, so we cannot predict when a County entity decides to ignore the HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS in salary expenses that small businesses incur when they do not notify folks when an event is canceled. Kinda figured our tax money was going to a good cause and our government was trustworthy. :hammerhead:

From now on, ALL of us will merely "retest". It's free, takes only an hour, and we know the head dudes at the Wallace building be there. (We trust these guys).

So we viewed a 3 1/2 hour video that was pre-recorded "eleven months ago". What a fu475ing joke! We learned NOTHING NEW from this year-old video. Actually, these folks were years behind the times. Chemical company reps, members of lawnsite.com, and our field experiences are WAY more knowledgeable and up to date. :usflag:

Only thing we learned from this old extension video was.....THEY GOT THEIR INFO FROM folks mentioned in the above paragraph. :laugh:

This is my (and friend's) sincere opinion. I am truly disappointed. :cry::cry::cry:

ted putnam
12-12-2010, 07:50 PM
It's "35 bucks" per person (here), and it takes a half day to attend one of these "WASTE OF TIME" EVENTS. All but two of us "showed" up on December 10 ---- too bad cuz "ALL" of us were ON TIME A MONTH AGO when "she" decided to CANCEL the original event with NO NOTICE WHATSOEVER. That cost us 1/2 day in salary expenses. Maybe it's cuz of state cutbacks - not sure, but we weren't the only ones that "got burnt". Several other LCO friends were also "waiting outside" when we were -- only to find out the extension personnel "had their own agenda". wtf????????????? :confused:

If we ran our business that way, ..........we'll, you get the picture. Maybe some think we should carry a "crystal ball" with us, but we ain't God, so we cannot predict when a County entity decides to ignore the HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS in salary expenses that small businesses incur when they do not notify folks when an event is canceled. Kinda figured our tax money was going to a good cause and our government was trustworthy. :hammerhead:

From now on, ALL of us will merely "retest". It's free, takes only an hour, and we know the head dudes at the Wallace building be there. (We trust these guys).

So we viewed a 3 1/2 hour video that was pre-recorded "eleven months ago". What a fu475ing joke! We learned NOTHING NEW from this year-old video. Actually, these folks were years behind the times. Chemical company reps, members of lawnsite.com, and our field experiences are WAY more knowledgeable and up to date. :usflag:

Only thing we learned from this old extension video was.....THEY GOT THEIR INFO FROM folks mentioned in the above paragraph. :laugh:

This is my (and friend's) sincere opinion. I am truly disappointed. :cry::cry::cry:

Must be nice to test for free. It costs here, or at least it did years ago when I took the test. It's much easier for me and the guys to take a trip to Hot Springs than it is to retest...and cheaper too. We "pittle" for 3-4 weeks around the shop working on equipment and so-forth...PAID (late Dec- early Jan). Things must be pretty "tight" not to be able to give up a half-day here and there. Do you have to lay-off your employees during the Winter? We don't get much snow here so it's the lawn biz for all but the time we're working in the shop.

Ric
12-13-2010, 02:22 AM
Must be nice to test for free. It costs here, or at least it did years ago when I took the test. It's much easier for me and the guys to take a trip to Hot Springs than it is to retest...and cheaper too. We "pittle" for 3-4 weeks around the shop working on equipment and so-forth...PAID (late Dec- early Jan). Things must be pretty "tight" not to be able to give up a half-day here and there. Do you have to lay-off your employees during the Winter? We don't get much snow here so it's the lawn biz for all but the time we're working in the shop.

Ted

I am glad a Florida Certification actually means something and we can charge enough to make a reasonable profit without having to bust a gut. But EDUCATION is the key word here. Without CEU I can't understand how anyone could keep up with current Issues.

Of course we could run our business like TG/CL with fancy equipment and advertising, while paying Minimum wade to people who about as knowledgeable as trained monkeys.