PDA

View Full Version : Setting grade for patio and installing brick edging

LawnLad
08-25-2002, 02:06 PM
Have another question about brick edging...

I tried something different (for me) on the last patio we installed. We brought our compacted #411 base up to where we needed to be and then installed the brick edging and then installed the bedding course (use several 1" gas pipes to set final bedding course grade and a 2x6 board).

My question is this - when you bring up the #304 or #411 base (or what have you) to the finish grade for the bedding course - how do you make sure you're level across the area before you put down the brick edging? Do you do screed off the final lift and then tamp before you install your bedding course? The transit only checks spot grades and using a 3' rake we can get mostly to grade by using transit measurements, but we still have some imperfections in our grade which caused us to dig into our base to set our 1" pipes a bit or raise them up adding more bedding course than I should have used - providing an inconsistent bedding course in some places.

Any other suggestions for screeding and setting brick edging?

paul
08-25-2002, 03:02 PM
Here are a couple of quick tips. Set a hub 6" or so past the end of the patio that the top of follows your grade, a quick check with a string line will show you low spots or high spots. Larger areas use a few so you can complete a smaller areas to start setting pavers. The smaller laser levels also help, I'm talking about the stick levels they cost about $40.

Now for the more expensive ways of setting grades. Slope lasers, sure they cost alot but speed in getting a large area graded both sub base and base, one setting on the stick for each and your done. Last is a rail system, this can grade out your gravel and your setting course with out using pipes.