PDA

View Full Version : Pesticide Application Invice Left On Customers Door

Della Rio
12-07-2010, 03:40 PM
What I'm looking for are invoices that can be customized with State required info (wind speed, direction, product used and application rate etc.) If there are some good software programs out there for LCO's that meet this criteria please let me know. Right now I'm just leaving invoices created with Quicken and putting all the other info for my records in a Excel spread sheet. Also if it will work with Quick Books that also would be good info. Thanks

RigglePLC
12-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Sure...However...do you mean you have a computer and printer in your truck? To print your invoices? Can you type the extra data on a Blackberry, as you sit in your truck? And just send it to your office spreadsheet? Sync it to your spreadsheet?

Last year my data was set up so I only had to type an abbreviation and the computer typed out the name of chemical, EPA number, rate and active ingredient.

Probably someone here has a system where you only have to type it once. I hope...

Della Rio
12-07-2010, 06:16 PM
No computer in the truck or blackberry. What I do now is print invoices at the office with Quicken the day before (this invoice is just generic with no State required info), go to property, leave invoice on door, apply chems, input data onto paper spread sheet.

bigkyle
12-07-2010, 09:35 PM
i would also love to see one if someone has something they woulndt mind shareing

Greg Amann
12-08-2010, 06:47 AM
We use to do our invoicing similar to your method, though we didn't leave invoices behind. We would mail them out. We would schedule and keep up with the services using an excel spread sheet. Once we went to Qxpress, we started saving alot of time

I have been using Qxpress for the last 5 years or so. I am very happy with it. At the beginning I created a customized invoice using the program to put all the info. I needed on a 3 part (1 page) invoice. It has a one button sync to Quickbooks. Once you sync it, all of your Quickbooks customers are then in Qxpress. Then it is just a matter of setting up the individual services for each customer. We run structural pest, lawn and ornamental, and termite services through it with no problems.
Upon completion of service we leave 2 of the 3 parts of the invoice with the customer in a self addressed envelope. Bring the technician copy back to the office and mark the service as done and date it accordingly. At the end of the week, we send it to Quickbooks. Done deal, very simple.

Ric
12-08-2010, 08:55 AM
No computer in the truck or blackberry. What I do now is print invoices at the office with Quicken the day before (this invoice is just generic with no State required info), go to property, leave invoice on door, apply chems, input data onto paper spread sheet.

Della Rio

Smartest think I did as a one man band was put a computer/Printer in my truck. Besides invoicing, Labels and other information is at my finger tips. First thing I do at the stop is the paper work and invoice printing. I then knock on the customer door announcing myself and hand them the Invoice for the work that is about to be done. This also gives me quality contact time with my customer. By the time I finish the treatment the Customer has written the check and in many cases left it on the front seat of my truck,which is company headquarters.

Wally World has the Acer Net Book for only $ 254.99 and the last printer I bought was only $ 28.00. Heck the Ink cost more than the printer. So Truck Computers are CHEAP. I back up my files each night to my Internet Mail provider. I can retrieve my information from any computer in the world that has Quickbooks.

I have made up flyer on my computer with the idea on printing them as needed. I could enter a customer address and say I take care of your neighbor lawn at 123 Main St. So a Truck computer can be used an infinite number of ways.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-08-2010, 10:51 AM
How big of an operation are you OP?

Computers in a truck sound groovy - but unless you are doing mucho volume, you don't need that.

What I did was simply print off my state required Application Record, added a section for billing (so I have an all in one integrated form), and ran over to my local print shop to have a ream of forms custom made for me. 2 or 3 part carbon copy. You could also probably submit this to one of those online print shops if you want to save a little money.

FdLLawnMan
12-08-2010, 11:31 AM
I am with Rick on this one. I am able to have all my quotations, prices, labels whatever at my fingertips. I even have an airwave card for internet access. Has helped me find out who lives at an address for a quick quotation. I went with a Brother Laser Printer at around $70.00 which has turned out to be cheaper than the inkjets. Another nice thing is I have a record on my computer of all my applications. Has reduced my paperwork tremendously.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-08-2010, 11:42 AM
Again, the OP needs to advise if his size of operation warrants purchasing hundreds of dollars of electronic equipment for his purpose. Advising him to go that route without further insight isn't good advice.

djagusch
12-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Again, the OP needs to advise if his size of operation warrants purchasing hundreds of dollars of electronic equipment for his purpose. Advising him to go that route without further insight isn't good advice.

Your way with the tri copy is fine for the most part. But most people have at least one computer for his biz, it might be used for the household also but he owns one. Next time he needs a computer he can get an laptop and a cheap printer in the truck if he is to small to cover the expense now. A printed invoice looks more professional the hand written.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
12-08-2010, 12:25 PM
I am with Rick on this one. I am able to have all my quotations, prices, labels whatever at my fingertips. I even have an airwave card for internet access. Has helped me find out who lives at an address for a quick quotation. I went with a Brother Laser Printer at around $70.00 which has turned out to be cheaper than the inkjets. Another nice thing is I have a record on my computer of all my applications. Has reduced my paperwork tremendously.

DA

A good weed eater cost more than a computer/Printer.

FdL

I don't have an air card yet. There are so many open WiFi that I don't need one. However more and more WiFi are being closed in my area. I actually try and stay off the Internet with That Computer except to back it up.

Those Little Net Book hold 160 G of hard drive so I load up the info. Maps for finding houses and Advertising Flyer or contracts printed on the spot for marketing alone, Pay for the $ 300 of equipment. Then add in Cash Flow by giving the customer an invoice right then. etc etc etc. Hey I might be older god but this is the 21th century, Why not use the Technology???????

Della Rio
12-08-2010, 03:39 PM
The size of the company is just me (owner/technician) with 50 plus accounts and looking to add 200 more for 2011. I have a computer for the house/business. Looked at the Qxpress this is what I was looking for. It also syncs with Quick books. Except the price is a little steep.

Rayholio
12-08-2010, 03:51 PM
2 words.. Real Green

Service Assistant invoices are the bomb.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-08-2010, 11:10 PM
The size of the company is just me (owner/technician) with 50 plus accounts and looking to add 200 more for 2011. I have a computer for the house/business. Looked at the Qxpress this is what I was looking for. It also syncs with Quick books. Except the price is a little steep.

Nuff said. Sometimes guys on here like to take their own direction instead of asking OP's what they are really looking for.

rcreech
12-09-2010, 07:10 AM
2 words.. Real Green

Service Assistant invoices are the bomb.

Totally agree!

Real Green is the only way to go!

But as far as having a computer/printer in the truck...that is the way I started out and I always had problems with my printer and also it really slowed me down.

Plus...I didn't like handling my computer during the day while my hands were "contaminated" while then taking it in the house with my family.

Dunno...I am just not real big on that myself!

How do you guys keep your printer working good?
Our roads are very bumpy here and it totally messed up my printer cartridges and it did a horrible job (looked horrible on the invoice).

lawnrx
12-09-2010, 12:35 PM
Della
Just I get invoices made a print shop, with a carbon copy on the back. I use excell to keep track of clients. I only have 240 clients and this is very simple. I hand wright the invoice the night before. This makes the invoice look personal to the client. I add info on the invoice after i treat there yard. I will update one day but this works for me.

FdLLawnMan
12-09-2010, 10:19 PM
Rodney

If you wouldn't drive so fast that wouldn't happen. Oh, that's right, you have a Z so you have to make up time somewhere. Just kidding.

Other than running out of ink I never had a problem with my printer. It sits on the seat on next to me. I have separate laptop that I use in the truck that gets synced every night with the home computer. As far as slowing me down, never. By the time I figure in the paperwork at night and being able to look up information on the road, it is a huge time saver. I would never go back. The idea that I would have to sit at home the night before and prepare invoices drives me nuts. I do enough computer work at home.

Totally agree!

Real Green is the only way to go!

But as far as having a computer/printer in the truck...that is the way I started out and I always had problems with my printer and also it really slowed me down.

Plus...I didn't like handling my computer during the day while my hands were "contaminated" while then taking it in the house with my family.

Dunno...I am just not real big on that myself!

How do you guys keep your printer working good?
Our roads are very bumpy here and it totally messed up my printer cartridges and it did a horrible job (looked horrible on the invoice).

LawnoftheMonth
12-09-2010, 11:13 PM
I use groundskeeper pro, I print my invoices on Saturday for the next week and my chemical tracking is done daily on the groundskeeper p software when I get back to the office.

rcreech
12-10-2010, 06:50 AM
Rodney

If you wouldn't drive so fast that wouldn't happen. Oh, that's right, you have a Z so you have to make up time somewhere. Just kidding.

Other than running out of ink I never had a problem with my printer. It sits on the seat on next to me. I have separate laptop that I use in the truck that gets synced every night with the home computer. As far as slowing me down, never. By the time I figure in the paperwork at night and being able to look up information on the road, it is a huge time saver. I would never go back. The idea that I would have to sit at home the night before and prepare invoices drives me nuts. I do enough computer work at home.

Honestly...with Real Green, I print the invoices the morning of, put them in order and that is their Route for the day.

I would much rather BURN candles then daylight! I like the idea of having a PC in the truck but the printer was my issue.

How do you print invoices on a week like this where the high has been 18 deegrees?

Ric
12-10-2010, 07:52 AM
Honestly...with Real Green, I print the invoices the morning of, put them in order and that is their Route for the day.

I would much rather BURN candles then daylight! I like the idea of having a PC in the truck but the printer was my issue.

How do you print invoices on a week like this where the high has been 18 deegrees?

RC

Not being a Yankee I might be out of my Territory. But Why would you be making Treatment in 18 degree weather???? Doesn't your truck have a Heater???

FdL

Speaking of temperature, Do you have a warm up period on your Truck's Laser printer??? I have older Laser Fax and printer in the house that must warm up. Once at operating temperature they are fast.

fl-landscapes
12-10-2010, 08:06 AM
RC

Not being a Yankee I might be out of my Territory. But Why would you be making Treatment in 18 degree weather???? Doesn't your truck have a Heater???

FdL

Speaking of temperature, Do you have a warm up period on your Truck's Laser printer??? I have older Laser Fax and printer in the house that must warm up. Once at operating temperature they are fast.

Maybe for snow removal?? Not sure. I do know it feels like 18 degrees here this week. Ric we may need to move to cuba to stay warm.

rcreech
12-10-2010, 08:11 AM
RC

The high on Monday was 17 (it was 10 deg in the morn)
The high on Tuesday was 21 (it was 6 deg in the morn)
The high on Wednesday was 25 (it was 15 in the morn)

We are still putting on our last app (winterizer) as it is usually in the mid 30's this time of year.

Good thing is...we have about a 1/2 of snow cover and it kept the ground from freezing.

Today we will finish up and it is supposed to hit 36 (warm spell :laugh:)

I talked to a guy on Wed that still has 300+ lawns to go! :(

Ric
12-10-2010, 08:20 AM
Maybe for snow removal?? Not sure. I do know it feels like 18 degrees here this week. Ric we may need to move to cuba to stay warm.

FL

I forgot people like to break truck axles plowing snow. But that goes back to my question about a Truck heater.

As for current weather condition I blame Al Gore, He caused all this Global warming we are experiencing here in South Florida. You realize this is the 3rd winter in a row we have seen freezing temperatures.

fl-landscapes
12-10-2010, 08:28 AM
FL

I forgot people like to break truck axles plowing snow. But that goes back to my question about a Truck heater.

As for current weather condition I blame Al Gore, He caused all this Global warming we are experiencing here in South Florida. You realize this is the 3rd winter in a row we have seen freezing temperatures.

sure do, evidence is all the dead plants. This year the cold came early, it was hot as heck then they turned the ac on and its 25 degrees below normal now. Frigin Al Gore screwed us good, he is like the heat mizer and mr freeze all in one

fl-landscapes
12-10-2010, 08:30 AM
The high on Monday was 17 (it was 10 deg in the morn)
The high on Tuesday was 21 (it was 6 deg in the morn)
The high on Wednesday was 25 (it was 15 in the morn)

We are still putting on our last app (winterizer) as it is usually in the mid 30's this time of year.

Good thing is...we have about a 1/2 of snow cover and it kept the ground from freezing.

Today we will finish up and it is supposed to hit 36 (warm spell :laugh:)

I talked to a guy on Wed that still has 300+ lawns to go! :(

playing devils advocate. What if you didnt get your "warm spell" and the ground stayed frozen, would he still put down his last app on these 300? I mean if the ground is frozen wouldnt the fert. volitize off and not get into the soil??

Ric
12-10-2010, 08:49 AM
playing devils advocate. What if you didnt get your "warm spell" and the ground stayed frozen, would he still put down his last app on these 300? I mean if the ground is frozen wouldnt the fert. volitize off and not get into the soil??

Fl-land

I guessing this winter treatment on frozen ground is for Winterizing the bank account.

fl-landscapes
12-10-2010, 08:58 AM
Fl-land

I guessing this winter treatment on frozen ground is for Winterizing the bank account.

:laugh:...........

FdLLawnMan
12-10-2010, 09:33 AM

Because I am done for the season. Honestly, I believe it is faster with the computer & printer than writing down the details of the application. After the application it might take me a minute or two to type in the info, print it out stuff in a plastic bag.

FdLLawnMan
12-10-2010, 09:36 AM
RC

FdL

I get in the truck in the morning and turn everything on and a minute later it is ready to go.

rcreech
12-10-2010, 10:18 AM

I can't speak for him...but if the ground was frozen we wouldn't be out there right now!

Thank goodness...we will be done about 3 pm today!
:walking:

Volatization isn't a concern at these temps but if the ground was frozen you would be looking more at runoff I think!

RigglePLC
12-10-2010, 10:54 AM
Could be worse. 2 inches of snow here. Lucky snow doesn't run off much. I just checked the soil temp. Soil was frozen in the top quarter inch, but easily penetrated by thermometer. Soil temp was about 30. Oddly enough the grass remains green--under the snow. The official soil temp map shows us at 30 to 35, but soil of the east half of the country looks much colder even down as far as West Virginia. http://www.greencastonline.com/SoilTempMaps.aspx