PDA

View Full Version : "ride-on" transaxle fluid

americanlawn
12-07-2010, 07:49 PM
:confused: What do you guys use for tranny oil? How often do you change the tranny oil/filter?

We are guilty of not changing the hydrostatic oil often enough (according to the manual). When we did, we used "John Deere" hydrostatic (transaxle) oil.

Our ride-on owners manual suggests 20W-50 oil. Is this the same as most other manufacturer's recommendations regarding transaxle/hydrostatic fluids?

If so, I plan to use "full-synthetic 20W-50 motor oil" from now on. Is there a difference between 20W-50 motor oil and hydraulic fluid? Are synthetic oils bad for transaxles?

rscvp, thanks

p.s. Mowers too

fl-landscapes
12-07-2010, 08:59 PM
:confused: What do you guys use for tranny oil? How often do you change the tranny oil/filter?

We are guilty of not changing the hydrostatic oil often enough (according to the manual). When we did, we used "John Deere" hydrostatic (transaxle) oil.

Our ride-on owners manual suggests 20W-50 oil. Is this the same as most other manufacturer's recommendations regarding transaxle/hydrostatic fluids?

If so, I plan to use "full-synthetic 20W-50 motor oil" from now on. Is there a difference between 20W-50 motor oil and hydraulic fluid? Are synthetic oils bad for transaxles?

rscvp, thanks

p.s. Mowers too

I dont have all your answers except motor oil and hydraulic fluids are different things........here is a quick answer to that part of your question http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_difference_between_hydraulic_oil_and_engine_oil

CHARLES CUE
12-07-2010, 10:04 PM
I don't think there is much difference between motor oil and hyd oil.

Mostly it would be additives that they put in the oils because of the uses.

Oil would be a hyd oil in a motor to keep engine parts from touching each other like / hyd lifters / hyd timing chain or belt tension.

Charles Cue

fl-landscapes
12-07-2010, 10:25 PM
I don't think there is much difference between motor oil and hyd oil.

Mostly it would be additives that they put in the oils because of the uses.

Oil would be a hyd oil in a motor to keep engine parts from touching each other like / hyd lifters / hyd timing chain or belt tension.

Charles Cue

I think hydraulic fluid doesnt compress like motor oil and likely has an effect on performance of hydraulics

djagusch
12-07-2010, 10:35 PM
If it helps mower mfg's (scag/hustler/etc) call for 20/50 motor oil also. I just use napa oil and change it when it smells burnt or yearly.
Posted via Mobile Device

fl-landscapes
12-07-2010, 10:36 PM
If it helps mower mfg's (scag/hustler/etc) call for 20/50 motor oil also. I just use napa oil and change it when it smells burnt or yearly.
Posted via Mobile Device

In the hydro's?? odd but I just googled and found it appears to be ok. Wierd.

djagusch
12-07-2010, 10:41 PM
In the hydro's??

Yes for the hydro system. Engines are 30wt.
Posted via Mobile Device

fl-landscapes
12-07-2010, 10:44 PM
wierd, just googled it and guess its ok.......why do they make hydro fluid is my question then.

djagusch
12-07-2010, 10:51 PM
wierd, just googled it and guess its ok.......why do they make hydro fluid is my question then.

My guess is it helps lube the wheel motors and compression isn't the main issue. Plows/skidsteers/etc use hydro fluid. Basically stuff with lift,ram cylinders so compression is the main thing they are stopping.
Posted via Mobile Device

CHARLES CUE
12-07-2010, 10:55 PM
I think hydraulic fluid doesnt compress like motor oil and likely has an effect on performance of hydraulics

Motor oil doen't compress or it wouldn't work on things like hyd lifters in your engine. Oil pressure is what keeps your rods from knocking in your engine.

Charles Cue

americanlawn
12-08-2010, 06:37 PM
I figured some guys would think this to be a stupid post, guess not -- thanks.

I called our closest John Deere place today to ask their head mechanic. I told them the exact hydrostatic transmissions we were using in our ride-on's, Gator, JD 445's, and my JD 727-A ZTR mower. I also told him about maybe using 20W-50 motor oil.

Then he gave me a fact sheet while offering his personal advice:

1) Hydrostatic transmission oil is "vented", so the fluid is more susceptible to rust & corrosion.

2) There are no industry standards defining performance requirements regarding tranny or hydro oils. Instead, manufacturer standards are used.

3) "Motor oils are not recommended". Actual trans oil/hydro oil is recommended instead. They strongly recommend "Hy-gard" trans/hydro fluid. Here's why:

a) Contains anti-wear/extreme pressure capabilities

b) Offers high oxidation stability

c) Is friction modified

d) Contains rust & corrosion inhibitors

e) Provides a high viscosity index

f) Contains foam suppressors

g) Hy-gard is compatible with ALL types of seals (not the ones at Sea World)
:laugh:
h) Provides a low pour point

i) Provides low temperature fluidity

j) "Hy-gard" EXCEEDS all previous JD specs (including the most commonly used JDM J20C)

Bottom line:

1) We plan to use Hy-gard from now on, even though 20W-50 motor oil is recommended on some stuff.

2) Change the hydro oil/filter after the first 100 hours. Then every 300 - 400 hours after that.

Looks like we'll be changing hydro fluid & filters next spring.

fl-landscapes
12-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Motor oil doen't compress or it wouldn't work on things like hyd lifters in your engine. Oil pressure is what keeps your rods from knocking in your engine.

Charles Cue

Maybe maybe not, hydro oil (according to the link I first posted) compresses less than motor oil

CHARLES CUE
12-09-2010, 06:53 PM
Maybe maybe not, hydro oil (according to the link I first posted) compresses less than motor oil

It could compress less i don't know.

Read your link this time ! I would say they are right.

They are the same to start with it's the additives that make them different .

A lot of manufactures call for motor oil in hydo drive units. may be when you are using it in a situation where there is pump and a motor and no cylinders to lift. They are more concerned with lubrication than how much the fluid will compress ?

Charles Cue