PDA

View Full Version : Split apps

RABBITMAN11
12-07-2010, 11:37 PM
Went to a turf class today. Part of the class was dealing with crabgrass apps. One of the topics was about doing split apps of crabgrass control. First app goes down at half rate and second app follows with another app of crabgrass control at half rate. I was wondering if anyone puts this into practice? I was also thinking that this would also save money. Thoughts?

lawnlandscape
12-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Went to a turf class today. Part of the class was dealing with crabgrass apps. One of the topics was about doing split apps of crabgrass control. First app goes down at half rate and second app follows with another app of crabgrass control at half rate. I was wondering if anyone puts this into practice? I was also thinking that this would also save money. Thoughts?

I know there are guys on here that do. I have seen it around here before.
I have personally never done it, but have been advised to do it on a couple occasions by my supplier.

RABBITMAN11
12-08-2010, 12:10 AM
I know there are guys on here that do. I have seen it around here before.
I have personally never done it, but have been advised to do it on a couple occasions by my supplier.

According to purdue turf extension office, it has show great results over a single app.

lawnlandscape
12-08-2010, 12:12 AM
How many weeks after the first ap do they say you should do the second?

RABBITMAN11
12-08-2010, 12:17 AM
How many weeks after the first ap do they say you should do the second?
i believe 45 days.

RABBITMAN11
12-08-2010, 12:21 AM
My one concern is getting a good app at half rate. Seems like it is hard to get a even application at a low rate.

grassman177
12-08-2010, 01:59 AM
i dont know if you can split app barricade but i prefer the one app rate early. it does not need to be hanging around any longer than it does. i am super happy with results i get from it.
i used to use a split app of dimension and it did work pretty ok, but had to use it at max rates for very good control in a harher season. i use the one app rate of it on lawns i have to do some seeding on in spring or dormant. i usually get pretty good control by the second year(talking total lawn renovations on miracle lawns)

when i started i used pendi split app and had good results, but the staining is kinda rediculous. my tank is still yellow from 8 years ago when i happened to use the EC formula out of our hose

lawn king
12-08-2010, 07:09 AM
Lots of lco's do split apps. I do one app, always have, and dont seem to encounter the monster crabgrass problems i hear of here at lawn site?

grassmasterswilson
12-08-2010, 08:45 AM
i have done both. my first two rounds are 1/2 rate and 3-way mixed(i'm spraying both). apps are 6-8 weeks apart. gives good control until the middle of summer down here when it gets 95-100 degrees and no rain. fescue gets thin and weeds emerge. just about the time nutgrass comes!

if you are looking for a number. i've heard 10% longer and better control. all depends on the weather and how fast the pre breaks down in the soil.

lawnlandscape
12-08-2010, 10:12 AM
if you are looking for a number. i've heard 10% longer and better control. all depends on the weather and how fast the pre breaks down in the soil.

Ya, it going to be one of those things that varys greatly by year, just like it is with the control of a single ap anyway.

lawnrx
12-08-2010, 10:40 AM
I use to do split apps. It does work good. Its because when I was making my half rate I would always be adding alittle bit more than half, but not much more. and this was when I did liquid pre-emergant. Always had three-way in with it. great control. But we do 7 treatment here. Doing split apps helps you stay in that 7 treatment round. Now I have A Z-jr. And have had it for 4yrs. I have found A better way to do my apps and even better control. I have not used liquid pre-m in years. all granular now. I still do my 7 apps and feel good at the end of the day. I only do one pre-m round in the spring and one in the fall. I added other services in my round that makes my business better for my costumers here. And I keep it at the same price as a regular treatment.

cgaengineer
12-08-2010, 12:22 PM
i dont know if you can split app barricade but i prefer the one app rate early. it does not need to be hanging around any longer than it does. i am super happy with results i get from it.
i used to use a split app of dimension and it did work pretty ok, but had to use it at max rates for very good control in a harher season. i use the one app rate of it on lawns i have to do some seeding on in spring or dormant. i usually get pretty good control by the second year(talking total lawn renovations on miracle lawns)

when i started i used pendi split app and had good results, but the staining is kinda rediculous. my tank is still yellow from 8 years ago when i happened to use the EC formula out of our hose

You can split app barricade (I do it)...depending on the type of turf you can even apply it at a rate that gives you 12 months of control.

Right now I do 2 splits apps which offer 4 months of control...I will likely change this spring and add a thrid app that slightly overlaps my first spring app...crabgrass is one weed I want to prevent the most.
Posted via Mobile Device

grass4gas
12-08-2010, 05:21 PM
I use to do split apps on all my lawns at one time. I still do some split apps on problem lawns, but mostly I only do 1 app with barricade. The one's that do get split apps, get the first app down in march, then I am back in 6 weeks to do the second one. I use dimension for these.

I'm solo, so not a problem. If you have employees, then there is the possibility of problems emerging, unless "they" have been taking care of the lawn year after year.

It has also been mentioned about the possibility of root pruning occuring when doing split apps...don't know if this is a real problem or not.

This year, as most of us have seen, was a nightmare for crabgrass...even with the 2 apps of pre.

Let's hope for a more "Normal" year in 2011.