PDA

View Full Version : ? about storing my Z

horty34
12-08-2010, 12:47 AM
Have a new Hustler Z, a demo unit with 18 total hours on it. dealer already performed winter maintenance(changed all fluids and filters). is there any problem with storing the mower outside under a cover? This is in central Indiana.

mowerconsultant
12-08-2010, 01:23 PM
If you can get all of the fuel out of it and remove the battery, make sure its covered up nice and tight, I don't see it being a issue, I would just have concerns with rodents making a home under the cover of the mower.

Pj

M & MD Lawn
12-08-2010, 02:09 PM
I personally wouldn't, I live in indianapolis, and it gets cold and rainy then it freezes and I agree with mowerconsultant that rodents could make a home or even chew at hoses and things, I would say maybe find a spot in the garage for it, before storing outside... thats me though

BEAR5614
12-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Based on my personal experience, the following works to keep rodents & squirrels from chewing on the wires and gas tanks.

Make sure you place several [at least 6] small aluminum tins [3" x 6"] of Moth Crystals around and on the machine. An inch or so in each tin should be sufficient. Also, [important] check the crystals each month that the machine is in storage - since they evaporate and have to be replenished.

Note that Moth Crystals are different from Moth Balls [different chemicals]. The Crystals keep rodents away, the Moth Balls don't. The Crystals are sold by grocery stores [eg. Giant, Acme].

Good luck,
Joe

mowerconsultant
12-14-2010, 10:28 AM
All of this is good advice.

dc33
12-22-2010, 08:20 PM
would Stabul surfice instead of draining the fuel?

mowerconsultant
01-04-2011, 02:32 PM
would Stabul surfice instead of draining the fuel?

It may be ok, I feel more comfortable with draining the fuel myself.

Imow4u2
01-17-2011, 06:56 PM
I keep my tanks topped off, as I start my machines every 3/4 weeks in the off season.. Change oil and sharp blades.. in the spring we check tire pressures and go cut grass...
Mine are stored in a dry unheated building, no mice allowed..