PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a CDL?

spudman 2
12-08-2010, 07:04 PM
Hi. I am starting a lawn care company in the spring and was wondering if I need a CDL. I will have a F250 and a bobcat trailer that I thought would work to put a ZTR on. Thanks for the help.

zabmasonry
12-08-2010, 07:20 PM
generally I'd say, if you need to ask the answer is probably yes.

4 seasons lawn&land
12-08-2010, 07:34 PM
no. That would have to be a pretty huge trailer to need a cdl with an F250

zabmasonry
12-08-2010, 07:42 PM
I'd agree, Of all the "do I need a cdl" threads i've seen this has to be the most pointless. learn how to use search, there are dozens of these threads, usually with some good drama.

4 seasons lawn&land
12-08-2010, 07:52 PM
no biggy. If everyone used the search for every question there would be no more lawn site.

knox gsl
12-08-2010, 10:45 PM
If the gross weight of the trailer is over 10,000lbs then you will need a CDL.

Brad Ent
12-09-2010, 07:56 AM
What State are you operating in??

Duffster
12-09-2010, 08:15 AM
Hi. I am starting a lawn care company in the spring and was wondering if I need a CDL. I will have a F250 and a bobcat trailer that I thought would work to put a ZTR on. Thanks for the help.

Not unless the GVWR of the trailer is over 17-18k or so.

If the gross weight of the trailer is over 10,000lbs then you will need a CDL.

Negative. Common misconception on here.

What State are you operating in??

Doesn't matter unless he is from CA.

JB1
12-09-2010, 08:17 AM
i love these threads, so much misinformation.

gasracer
12-09-2010, 09:09 AM
I would contact the DMV for the "RIGHT" information.

Duffster
12-09-2010, 09:37 AM
i love these threads, so much misinformation.

Care to point any out?

Brad Ent
12-09-2010, 09:58 AM
duffster,
CT has adopted their own set of guidlines that are more stringent than FMV CDL standards. Regulations for CT can be accessed via CT Motor Transport Website.

You've got to do your homework and know the requirements for the State(s)you plan to operate in.

Duffster
12-09-2010, 10:01 AM
duffster,
CT has adopted their own set of guidlines that are more stringent than FMV CDL standards. Regulations for CT can be accessed via CT Motor Transport Website.

You've got to do your homework and know the requirements for the State(s)you plan to operate in.

Prove it.

CDL requirements do not vary between states. (except CA) Even if they did it doesn't matter what another states requirements are because once to go interstate you fall under the federal standard.

4 seasons lawn&land
12-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Prove it.

CDL requirements do not vary between states. (except CA) Even if they did it doesn't matter what another states requirements are because once to go interstate you fall under the federal standard.

your still wrong

gasracer
12-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Prove it.

I don't travel more than 25 miles out from my house I don't care what other states do. Unless he is on a border state town then it only matters what state he has it registered in.
In Tn. It is over 26,000 GWR that requires a CDL.That means I can drive a 26ft. box truck on my regular D.L. A Isuzu landscape truck is only 12,000-14,000 GWR. so no problem.

Duffster
12-09-2010, 10:25 AM
your still wrong

Where? .......

MarcSmith
12-09-2010, 11:52 AM
First. We are all Commercial Drivers if we drive a 1/2 pickup truck or f550... you are driving a vehicle for a commercial enterprise.

weight/combo weight of our vehicles and trailers is what determines if we need a CDL endorsement. which is pretty much across the board for all states based on federal guidelines.

Now some states are making harder for commercial drivers who are below the CDL requirements. In that if you have a truck trailer combo less than the states magic number you may need a Dr Card, record checks, first aid kids, fire extinguisers, Pretrip inspection log, safety triangles and so on...So basically everything a CDL driver needs, just no endorsement.

thats why this question is so hard to answer with out knowing where you are located...

and in all honesty we all have good intentions here, but the only people you should be trusting for the proper answer is your States DMV office

4 seasons lawn&land
12-09-2010, 08:38 PM
your still wrong

correction. Dufster is right! The laws are written the same for all states! Or at least the several i just looked up. Ive heard of guys getting in trouble for towing little trailers with large, near limit trucks because they were over 26 and you should be able to do so everywhere!

CLARK LAWN
12-10-2010, 09:45 AM
correction. Dufster is right! The laws are written the same for all states! Or at least the several i just looked up. Ive heard of guys getting in trouble for towing little trailers with large, near limit trucks because they were over 26 and you should be able to do so everywhere!

if they got in trouble it is because the officer doesnt know the law. you can drive a 25950# truck and pull a 9900# trailer with a regular license and be perfectly legal. even if it has air brakes.

gasracer
12-10-2010, 09:58 AM
if they got in trouble it is because the officer doesnt know the law. you can drive a 25950# truck and pull a 9900# trailer with a regular license and be perfectly legal. even if it has air brakes.

The Air breaks I would have to question.

From what I have read some states are starting to require you to have all the safety equipment and a medical card for anything over say 10,000 but don't require the CDL endorsement.

Duffster
12-10-2010, 10:25 AM
The Air breaks I would have to question.

From what I have read some states are starting to require you to have all the safety equipment and a medical card for anything over say 10,000 but don't require the CDL endorsement.

Air brakes make no difference.

gasracer
12-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Air brakes make no difference.

I know when you do get the CDL you have different test for air or manual brakes.
Example: Our church buss is a diesel shuttle buss with manual brakes. When all the youth leaders took the test there endorsement is for "non air brakes" .

CLARK LAWN
12-10-2010, 10:38 AM
yes if it is a CDL vehicle then it matters but if under it doesnt.

Duffster
12-10-2010, 12:20 PM
I know when you do get the CDL you have different test for air or manual brakes.
Example: Our church buss is a diesel shuttle buss with manual brakes. When all the youth leaders took the test there endorsement is for "non air brakes" .

An endorsement for non air brakes?

That is a new one.:rolleyes:

WorldsStrongestLandscaper
12-10-2010, 12:36 PM
Ok I just got pulled over the other day in Thomaston CT on RT 8. Here is what I was told by the trroper that issued me the ticket! My 04 Ford F-350 Dump's GVRW is 12500 my trailer's GVRW is 14000. Soooo 26500 total GVRW. 500lbs over the limit. I needed a CDL. If I Use my 03 Ford Crew F-350 to pull the same exact trailer with a GVRW of 9500 (total 23500) I am fine! No Ticket! If I can get the DMV to change the GVRW on the trailer to like say 13499 then it'll be ok to pull it with the Dump! Wierd right? If any person operates a vehicle with airbrakes then on their lisence it must have the endorsement. I think you must pass the CDL test to get the endorsement for the airbrakes,but I'm not too sure on the airbrakes! BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL
Posted via Mobile Device

SimonCX
12-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Call or visit your local state police barracks they will tell you everything you need to know because there the ones enforcing it in your state. A trooper will careless what someone on lawnsite said about the cdl law.

Duffster
12-10-2010, 01:21 PM
If any person operates a vehicle with airbrakes then on their lisence it must have the endorsement. I think you must pass the CDL test to get the endorsement for the airbrakes,but I'm not too sure on the airbrakes! BIG STEVE B CT STRENGTH WSL

There is no such thing as an "air brake endorsement". Nor do air brakes require a CDL.

MarcSmith
12-10-2010, 01:33 PM
in VA we have an air brake restriction on CDL in that if you have a CDL you can be restricted to non air brake vehicles...

SimonCX
12-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Sorry but in nj and pa there is a air brake endorsement and if you take a truck without them to the test you will have restriction "L" on your license meaning you have a cdl but you aren't allowed to drive a truck with air brakes. Like I said before call the state police they will tell you everything you need to know.

gasracer
12-10-2010, 01:37 PM
There is no such thing as an "air brake endorsement". Nor do air brakes require a CDL.

Maybe not where you life but there is here.
One of our youth leaders was taking his physical for the CDL and they found his sugar levels were so high they rushed him to the E.R. He now wears a pump. He didn't even know it.

Duffster
12-10-2010, 01:38 PM
Sorry but in nj and pa there is a air brake endorsement and if you take a truck without them to the test you will have restriction "L" on your license meaning you have a cdl but you aren't allowed to drive a truck with air brakes. Like I said before call the state police they will tell you everything you need to know.

You just contradicted yourself. :rolleyes:

What letter represents this "air brake endorsement"? :rolleyes:

Duffster
12-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Maybe not where you life but there is here.

Live?

It is the same EVERYWHERE.

Do yourself a favor and look it up. Come back and tell us what letter represents this "air brake endorsement".

gasracer
12-10-2010, 01:46 PM
The one for Tn is "P" for non air brakes.

gasracer
12-10-2010, 01:53 PM
Code L: Vehicle without air brakes That is from the DMV site.

Duffster
12-10-2010, 01:53 PM
The one for Tn is "P" for non air brakes.

"P" is for PASSENGER. :hammerhead:

http://www.state.tn.us/safety/driverlicense/EndorsementTable.pdf

Notice air brake isn't on there.

Duffster
12-10-2010, 01:54 PM
Code L: Vehicle without air brakes That is from the DMV site.

So it is not an endorsement is it?

gasracer
12-10-2010, 01:57 PM
So it is not an endorsement is it?

Doesn't matter it is still marked.

Duffster
12-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Doesn't matter it is still marked.

OK. :laugh:

Anybody else find it odd that the ones that know the least about a subject are the quickest to offer "advice".

MarcSmith
12-10-2010, 02:05 PM
CDL RESTRICTIONS
Class Restrictions
J You may only operate a school/activity bus. You may not operate any other type of commercial motor vehicle.
K You may not operate a vehicle with air brakes. If you plan to operate a vehicle with air brakes, you must take the air brakes knowledge test. You also must take the road test in a vehicle equipped with air brakes.
L You may not operate a commercial motor vehicle outside of Virginia.
M Operation of a passenger bus restricted to a Class B passenger vehicle.
N Operation of a passenger bus restricted to a Class C passenger vehicle.
Y You must wear corrective lenses when operating a commercial motor vehicle.

gasracer
12-10-2010, 02:06 PM
We all only know so much. He should contact the DMV for the information. The Air brake/non air brake does exist code or endorsement it's still there so I have made my point..

CLARK LAWN
12-10-2010, 02:15 PM
We all only know so much. He should contact the DMV for the information. The Air brake/non air brake does exist code or endorsement it's still there so I have made my point..

you havent made any point. there is no such thing as an air brake endorsement.

if you are sure there is post a link to prove it.

CLARK LAWN
12-10-2010, 02:18 PM
CDL RESTRICTIONS
Class Restrictions
J You may only operate a school/activity bus. You may not operate any other type of commercial motor vehicle.
K You may not operate a vehicle with air brakes. If you plan to operate a vehicle with air brakes, you must take the air brakes knowledge test. You also must take the road test in a vehicle equipped with air brakes.
L You may not operate a commercial motor vehicle outside of Virginia.
M Operation of a passenger bus restricted to a Class B passenger vehicle.
N Operation of a passenger bus restricted to a Class C passenger vehicle.
Y You must wear corrective lenses when operating a commercial motor vehicle.

you might want to recheck those, unless they are different in DC.

gasracer
12-10-2010, 02:21 PM
Halfway down the page under restrictions.

http://www.dmv.org/tn-tennessee/cdl-faqs.php

I am not here to argue about this. Peace out.....

MarcSmith
12-10-2010, 02:25 PM
I live in VA and Work in DC

those are the VA Restrictions in VA copied from the DMV website.

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/citizen/drivers/cdl_class.asp

from code 1313.3 DC DMV

1313.3 The following restrictions shall be displayed on a driver’s license to specify
special conditions under which a driver may operate a motor vehicle:
(a) Must wear glasses or contact lenses;
(b) May not operate a vehicle with air brakes;
(c) May not operate vehicles for compensation prior to age eighteen (18);
(d) Must be accompanied by driver who is authorized to operate class of
vehicle being driven;
(e) May not operate Class “A,” “B” or “C” vehicles in interstate commerce;
(f) Valid only when presented with official document noting special driving
conditions; and
(g) Valid only when presented with a valid medical card; and
(h) May not operate tractors and semi-trailers.

MarcSmith
12-10-2010, 02:28 PM
you havent made any point. there is no such thing as an air brake endorsement.

if you are sure there is post a link to prove it.

correct there is no air brake ENDORSEMENT, only an air brake RESTRICTION

zabmasonry
12-10-2010, 02:34 PM
like I said, these threads usually create quite the argument. Perhaps the moderators can make a sticky that just says, Call your local DMV

CLARK LAWN
12-10-2010, 03:05 PM
I live in VA and Work in DC

those are the VA Restrictions in VA copied from the DMV website.

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/webdoc/citizen/drivers/cdl_class.asp

from code 1313.3 DC DMV

1313.3 The following restrictions shall be displayed on a driver’s license to specify
special conditions under which a driver may operate a motor vehicle:
(a) Must wear glasses or contact lenses;
(b) May not operate a vehicle with air brakes;
(c) May not operate vehicles for compensation prior to age eighteen (18);
(d) Must be accompanied by driver who is authorized to operate class of
vehicle being driven;
(e) May not operate Class “A,” “B” or “C” vehicles in interstate commerce;
(f) Valid only when presented with official document noting special driving
conditions; and
(g) Valid only when presented with a valid medical card; and
(h) May not operate tractors and semi-trailers.

WOW! Virginia restriction and different codes than just aboutevery other state.

CLARK LAWN
12-10-2010, 03:08 PM
like I said, these threads usually create quite the argument. Perhaps the moderators can make a sticky that just says, Call your local DMV

or learn how to follow one of the many flow charts that are on here. maybe get a fifth grade education so u can read and understand what is posted from state web sites.

MarcSmith
12-10-2010, 04:46 PM
clark

I would fathom that many states have various forms of restrictions. whether it be air brakes, glasses, daytime driving only, school busses only, ect.

Iwoudl also fathom thatr many people need a CDL Lic, , for driving a van (people cargo), school bus, transport chems, ect, where they do not need an air brakes since the vehicle is not equipped. So they take the CDL test with out the Air brakes. so they get a CDL with a restriction.

In effect a CDL is a regular Drivers liscence with a commercial endorsement. much like you can get a motrocycle endorsement on the DL.

in my above post the Code 1313 is cut and pasted from the DC DMV website with the link to the VA website above it. both have similar "restrictions" just different codes for them. just like the endorsements codes differ from state to state.

CLARK LAWN
12-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Marc i mean like in almost every other state i have looked at "L" is air brake restriction and "K" is intrastate. i know a few people that have a classA CDL with the air brake restriction. they took the test in a 33K dump with juice brakes pulling a 12K trailer with electric brakes.

knox gsl
12-10-2010, 11:30 PM
As per the OP's first post you will need a CDL to pull a trailer over 10K in the US with exceptions being RV's and farm use equipment. Commercial trailers over 10K and trucks over 26k need a CDL if your using it to move material, goods or equipment in exchange for money.

I'm not a lawer or DOT officer so please check with your local DMV.

On the back of my license it has endorsements only no restrictions.
P-passenger >15 including driver.
T-Double/Triple Trailer
N-Tanker >1000 gallons

This is a class A Combination vehicals >26000 lbs GCVW

I have a section open for restrictions but there are none listed. I do how ever know that I'm not alowed to operate a school bus with students on board with out a special course from the TN DOT.

CLARK LAWN
12-10-2010, 11:35 PM
As per the OP's first post you will need a CDL to pull a trailer over 10K in the US with exceptions being RV's and farm use equipment. Commercial trailers over 10K and trucks over 26k need a CDL if your using it to move material, goods or equipment in exchange for money.

T-Double/Triple Trailer
N-Tanker >1000 gallons

I have a section open for restrictions but there are none listed. I do how ever know that I'm not alowed to operate a school bus with students on board with out a special course from the TN DOT.
WRONG!!!

post EXACTLY what is on your license for a class a

Duffster
12-10-2010, 11:38 PM

T-Double/Triple Trailer
N-Tanker >1000 gallons

You obviously can't read either.

Why don't you C & P where it say you need a CDL to tow over 10k. :hammerhead:

CLARK LAWN
12-10-2010, 11:46 PM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=317106&highlight=cdl+flow+chart&page=3

go to post #26and look at the flow chart. it will show that you dont need one.

knox gsl
12-10-2010, 11:59 PM
WRONG!!!

post EXACTLY what is on your license for a class a

That's what is listed on my license card. Class A with P,T, and N endorsements and no restrictions. I'm not sure how I could be wrong about what I'm reading off the plastic card that has been in my wallet for years.

Ok I went down stairs and got my most current copy of the Commercial Driver License Manuel. (2009)
It states that you need a CDL to pull a trailer over 10K only if the manufactors GCVW of the the tow vehical and trailer exceed 26K. That means that if you're pulling a 10K trailer with a F250 no cdl but if pulling it with a F650 you will need a CDL

4 seasons lawn&land
12-11-2010, 09:56 AM
That's what is listed on my license card. Class A with P,T, and N endorsements and no restrictions. I'm not sure how I could be wrong about what I'm reading off the plastic card that has been in my wallet for years.

Ok I went down stairs and got my most current copy of the Commercial Driver License Manuel. (2009)
It states that you need a CDL to pull a trailer over 10K only if the manufactors GCVW of the the tow vehical and trailer exceed 26K. That means that if you're pulling a 10K trailer with a F250 no cdl but if pulling it with a F650 you will need a CDL

Now thats not really what it says is it? Post the exact sentence. You can tow a 10k trlr with a 26k truck for a GC total of 36k, no CDL

Duffster
12-11-2010, 02:13 PM
Now thats not really what it says is it? Post the exact sentence. You can tow a 10k trlr with a 26k truck for a GC total of 36k, no CDL

That is pretty much what it should say.

What do you think it says?

4 seasons lawn&land
12-11-2010, 04:09 PM
That is pretty much what it should say.

What do you think it says?

Thats what it says. What I posted.

newjerseylandscaping
12-11-2010, 07:00 PM
I agee if there was a serch before you post only policy there would be no lawn site, also not every thing is right for every person, one situation may be diffrent than another.

newjerseylandscaping
12-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Im preatty sure the restrictions section is like if you need glases, thats whats on my license anyway.

MDLawn
12-15-2010, 02:31 PM
As per NYSDMV website

I'm also not here to argue just posting what I have found. Its seems the magic number is any over 26k (single vehicle or combo) needs CDL. In new york there are 3 classes to cdl A,B,C.

1.1 - Commercial Motor Vehicles (CMV)
You must have a Commercial Driver License (CDL) to operate any of the following CMVs:

Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more.

A trailer with a GVWR of more than 10,000 pounds if the gross combination weight rating
(GCWR) is 26,001 pounds or more.

A vehicle designed to transport 15 or more passengers (excluding the driver) or a vehicle
defined as a bus under Article 19-A, Section 509-a of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law (VTL).

Any size vehicle that is used in the transportation of any material that requires hazardous
materials placards or any quantity of a material listed as a select agent or toxin in 42 CFR 73.
Federal regulations through the Department of Homeland Security require a background check
and fingerprinting for the Hazardous Materials endorsement.

EXEMPTIONS
Drivers of the following vehicles that otherwise meet the definition of a CMV are exempt from the
CDL requirement:
A vehicle owned and controlled by a farmer that has a GVWR of more than 26,000 lbs and is
used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm products within 150 miles of the farm

A vehicle primarily designed for purposes other than the transportation of persons or property
(commonly referred to as Special Purpose Commercial) with a GVWR of 26,000 lbs or less or,
if the GVWR is more than 26,000 lbs, not able to be operated at normal highway speeds

Fire and police vehicles engaged in emergency operations in New York State

Military vehicles or combination of vehicles operated by members of the armed forces

Personal vehicles (including rental vehicles up to 26,000 lbs GVWR) when operated strictly and
exclusively to transport personal possessions or family members for non-commercial purposes

For more NYS info - http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/broch/cdl/cdl10sec01.pdf

newjerseylandscaping
12-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Looks intresting,

Valk
12-15-2010, 05:46 PM
Dang. After reading straight through all this...I NEED a beer. :hammerhead: :drinkup: