PDA

View Full Version : I feel Granny is getting ripped off...

Willofalltrades
12-09-2010, 12:28 AM
(Background info) I'm no longer in the landscape scene. I chose to sell my equipment and enlist in the Air Force. I'm stationed in Phoenix Arizona as an F-16 crew chief. My grandma lives in Cleveland Ohio. She has a nice condo in Auburn Lakes. Her property is managed by a property management company. Every year they raise the homeowner fee which covers trash, landscaping, snow plowing etc... Well her yearly fee for all this is around $12,000.
Naturally, since I was in the business for myself and worked for a very large company in the area, I know that full service is expensive. Here is the kicker, they are cutting services left and right yet still raising the HOA fee. When it comes down to it she is paying $12,000 a year for snowplowing, cutting grass, OCCASIONALLY trimming the bushes (I went on leave last year and they were a train wreck), and trash collection. They used to cover decks but the year her deck was due to be replaced, they cut that service. I know the landscape company that is taking care of the maintenance and plowing (it rhymes with stickman lol); they were the lowest bidder on the property by $60,000! Yet, the service is complete crap (huge piles of snow in front of the garage door, sidewalk snow shoveled into a fresh plowed drive and left to sit, bushes never trimmed, flowerbeds with nothing but dirt, flower beds havenít been edged in years, tire marks from mowers everywhere, etc...). My grandma has been trying to sell the condo for the last 5 years. Every time she gets someone interested all they do is look at the HOA fee and laugh. This property management company is going to bankrupt my grandma. I donít know how to go about it. What are your thoughts on this topic? Am I being irrational?

FLAhaulboy
12-09-2010, 01:09 AM
I'd say look into filing a consumer fraud complaint with the State or County. Of course, it would depend on what the HOA rules say.

Too bad you can't slip the F 16 pilot a $100 bucks and let him take care of the problem!

:laugh:

Willofalltrades
12-10-2010, 06:19 AM
believe me i bet the pilot of my jet would! lol

but seriously... i'm working on getting papers as we speak... i will not let a 89 year old get robbed

lawnman_scott
12-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Who hires the property management company? And how do you go about replacing them? I guess that is the best place to start.

clydebusa
12-11-2010, 06:13 PM
Sounds like the taxes I have to pay!

Tim Johnson
12-14-2010, 11:35 AM
If your grandma is really paying $1000 a month for service she said have everything covered plus more. Most condo fees are in the 250 to 450 a month range. Call the president of the assocation and tell him about it.

Gmgbo
12-14-2010, 05:19 PM
It seems all the condo assc. around me are raising fees and cutting services. I think the biggest problem is the property managers arent very well paid(depending on what kickbacks they get) so they dont really care.

The nicest condos around me that sell for 400k+ have fees of around $450.00 a month