PDA

View Full Version : Flyer Design

domain311
12-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Just wanted to see if anyone had any good experiences with a design company that they could recommend flyers. I have a friend in another service industry that will be sending out our stuff in his mailings...and they will be sending them out over the next several months. So I need to get something asap. I will also be doing postcards in the early and late spring but for now I will get started with these. I know companies like vistaprint has templates and you can design your own...which I may end up using. But I am looking for something that can be designed for us.

Thanks

domain311
12-10-2010, 12:26 PM
Completely forgot about elance.com. We've used them for several things and is a great place to find someone for design work...from websites to postcards. I just figured more of these places that print and sell them would be more involved with the design.

walker-talker
12-10-2010, 05:35 PM
I can't recommend strongly enough to use www.designoutpost.com It's a forum that is full of designers that read exactly what you want in a design. Then different artist compete for your business. Rather than have one artist give you 4 or 5 designs, you might have 4 or 5 artist giving you multiple designs. There are minimums in pricing for different stuff. Like flyers might be $75, but you can bid more. Say you bid $150, well you're going to more designers competing for your business. The money is put up front before you start the project. If you don't like something from a particular designer, but he's on the right path, just tell him what you want and the changes will be made before you ok it.They do logos, postcards, flyers, stationary...etc. Once you make a decision, yu can always use that designer for future projects if you like.....or start a new project. I am not affiliated with the site, but I have done 1/2 dozen or so projects completed there.

domain311
12-10-2010, 05:40 PM
I can't recommend strongly enough to use www.designoutpost.com It's a forum that is full of designers that read exactly what you want in a design. Then different artist compete for your business. Rather than have one artist give you 4 or 5 designs, you might have 4 or 5 artist giving you multiple designs. There are minimums in pricing for different stuff. Like flyers might be $75, but you can bid more. Say you bid $150, well you're going to more designers competing for your business. The money is put up front before you start the project. If you don't like something from a particular designer, but he's on the right path, just tell him what you want and the changes will be made before you ok it.They do logos, postcards, flyers, stationary...etc. Once you make a decision, yu can always use that designer for future projects if you like.....or start a new project. I am not affiliated with the site, but I have done 1/2 dozen or so projects completed there.

Great, that sounds good and I will check it out, thanks. Elance is similar but not quite the same it sounds.

walker-talker
12-10-2010, 05:56 PM
I have a postcard and flyer on here that was designed from that site...I will look for them.

domain311
12-10-2010, 06:45 PM
I have a postcard and flyer on here that was designed from that site...I will look for them.

That would be great, thanks.

Stewartpsi
12-13-2010, 03:13 PM
I did mine with photoshop.

walker-talker
12-15-2010, 12:28 AM
ok, heres one i did about 5 years ago
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=92546

honeydopm
12-15-2010, 05:03 AM
Try thelogo-mat.com hes very reasonable and does great work. Tell him Jay sent you from Honey Do

cgaengineer
12-15-2010, 07:29 AM
Bob at Plan-itgraphics.com is really good.
Posted via Mobile Device

walker-talker
12-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Bob at Plan-itgraphics.com is really good.
Posted via Mobile Device

how much does bob charge for 2 sided postcards?

cgaengineer
12-15-2010, 10:22 AM
how much does bob charge for 2 sided postcards?

Not 100% sure but I know his prices are comparable to others, but his product is top notch. Email or call him...he is easy to get along with.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lefet
12-15-2010, 10:28 AM
I've used Bob @ planet-graphics. Was pleased with what he's done.

walker-talker
12-15-2010, 11:08 AM
I am sure Bob's a great guy and does excellent work, bu this prices are little higher than others. 5000 postcards are $125 higher than got print and design only is $50 higher than designoutpost. I'll save $425 on 15,000 using somebody else, but thanks.

cgaengineer
12-15-2010, 11:41 AM
I am sure Bob's a great guy and does excellent work, bu this prices are little higher than others. 5000 postcards are $125 higher than got print and design only is $50 higher than designoutpost. I'll save $425 on 15,000 using somebody else, but thanks.

Have you seen his work or are you just thinking everyone quality is the same?
Posted via Mobile Device

walker-talker
12-15-2010, 11:46 AM
I have seen his design work, but have not held anything in my hand.

cgaengineer
12-15-2010, 11:47 AM
I have seen his design work, but have not held anything in my hand.

Well there you go, until you do you cannot compare. Please ask him to send you some samples...I think you will be amazed.
Posted via Mobile Device

walker-talker
12-15-2010, 12:36 PM
I am sure I will do that, but have you seen what designoupost can do or what gotprint can do? I have not seen any stock for gotprint, but $125 difference for 5,000 postcards is a big difference and I doubt there is a big difference between the products. I will request samples from both suppliers and judge for myself though.

UpNorth
12-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Bob at plan-itgraphics may be a little higher than others. However... places like got print, design outpost do not specialize in our industry. Bob has his own lawn care company, he markets the same way we do. He has helped me figure out what wording or special offers work best. There are other companies such as Focal Point, or RND signs that, just like Bob, specialize in the lawn and landscape industry... but when you compare their prices to Plan-It, Bob is WAY under priced.

I have spent hours on the phone with Bob, every year I try something new and he and I come up with some very creative ideas. If you read his blog(i don't have the link but Plan-It Graphics does have a facebook page and it is on there) he really knows our industry well.

To me a saving of $125 doesn't seem like much when I know that my designer knows EXACTLY what I'm trying to sell.

Just something to consider.

cgaengineer
12-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Bob at plan-itgraphics may be a little higher than others. However... places like got print, design outpost do not specialize in our industry. Bob has his own lawn care company, he markets the same way we do. He has helped me figure out what wording or special offers work best. There are other companies such as Focal Point, or RND signs that, just like Bob, specialize in the lawn and landscape industry... but when you compare their prices to Plan-It, Bob is WAY under priced.

I have spent hours on the phone with Bob, every year I try something new and he and I come up with some very creative ideas. If you read his blog(i don't have the link but Plan-It Graphics does have a facebook page and it is on there) he really knows our industry well.

To me a saving of $125 doesn't seem like much when I know that my designer knows EXACTLY what I'm trying to sell.

Just something to consider.

And Bob is a small timer...mom and pop shop. When you feel and look at one of his cards you will really like them. I have put his cards in the weather for over 2 weeks and they were still holding together.
Posted via Mobile Device

walker-talker
12-15-2010, 02:01 PM

Just something to consider.You make some valid points. I understand that probably most of the time we are not actually selling lawn care, we sell what ever the targeted market wants. Could be relaxation, might be trust...just depends. Just a correction, I would be saving $375 and not $125. I plan on sending out 15,000 in the spring. I will give Bob another look-see before I pull the trigger.

Lefet
12-15-2010, 02:31 PM
You make some valid points. I understand that probably most of the time we are not actually selling lawn care, we sell what ever the targeted market wants. Could be relaxation, might be trust...just depends. Just a correction, I would be saving $375 and not $125. I plan on sending out 15,000 in the spring. I will give Bob another look-see before I pull the trigger.

Kudos to you. It's great when mature minded people get together and offer opinons/ideas and not just have pissing contests. It would be great to know what you end up with and maybe a sneak preview?

domain311
12-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Well, here is what I have so far...two sided flyer...thoughts please?

walker-talker
12-15-2010, 04:20 PM
The actual pics look great, but I think the overall appearance is a little busy for my taste. There are left brained people and right brained people in this world and the ratio is about 50/50. The left brained people are attracted to pretty designs and such. The right brained people are more into facts and numbers. Coming up with a good balance of both is what you should strive for. The bottom 3rd looks great. I don't really think you have overall too much text, maybe just a bit much. On the front I think you have too many pictures. You need some "unbusy" space on there. Looks like your "call to action" is "20% off first service". This is good, but probably should stand out a little more. Your CALL TO ACTION needs to be seen. You could make the call to action to visit your website, then you wouldnt have to list all your services. You could hold a contest on your website and tell the people getting the flyer to punch in a code on the flyer. The code could be the same number on all the flyers. They go to your website and enter the code where they win the 20% off their first service. Think outside the box.

cgaengineer
12-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Well, here is what I have so far...two sided flyer...thoughts please?

I agree...way too busy.

The code idea is great until your neighbor compares flyers...busted! Busted for lying and have not made one sale.
Posted via Mobile Device

domain311
12-15-2010, 05:20 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

walker-talker
12-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Who lied? Where's the lie?

cgaengineer
12-15-2010, 05:24 PM
Who lied? Where's the lie?

Having the same numbers on the flyer...I just don't think its a great idea...its deception in my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lefet
12-15-2010, 05:32 PM
I don't get it.

domain311
12-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Thanks for your thoughts. I was thinking it may be too busy also and that the 20% off line did not stick out enough. I will try to have him address that.

As far as the part about lying though? Not sure what you mean so please let me know. We used some wording from a flyer I saw on Vista print and built from there....But everything on there, including that, is true and we back it 100% otherwise I wouldn't put it on there. All of the photos are also ours. So please elaborate, I am open to other ideas for the wording as marketing ideas are not really my strong point.
Posted via Mobile Device

domain311
12-15-2010, 05:35 PM
Having the same numbers on the flyer...I just don't think its a great idea...its deception in my opinion.
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't understand...what same numbers?
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
12-15-2010, 05:36 PM
I was talking about the codes walker posted about...he said make it a contest where you win 20% off...he said make all codes the same. No big deal really...
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
12-15-2010, 05:38 PM
"You could make the call to action to visit your website, then you wouldnt have to list all your services. You could hold a contest on your website and tell the people getting the flyer to punch in a code on the flyer. The code could be the same number on all the flyers. They go to your website and enter the code where they win the 20% off their first service. Think outside the box."
Posted via Mobile Device

domain311
12-15-2010, 05:39 PM
I was talking about the codes walker posted about...he said make it a contest where you win 20% off...he said make all codes the same. No big deal really...
Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah just got that as I read back.
Posted via Mobile Device

walker-talker
12-15-2010, 05:40 PM
Well, then he can print different codes and have each code a seperate prize, some better than others. Still, I doubt he is going to take the time to make sure 2 neighbors are not going to get a flyer with the same code. No more than McDonalds is hoping two cutomers in row get the same prize playing monoply. Last week I received a postcard from a car dealership with a scratch off ticket. Beside the scratch off it had a picture of 3 diamonds, 2 diamonds and 1 diamond. Beside the 2 & 3 diamonds it said "winner". Beside the 1 diamond, it said loser. Do you think anybody scratched off one that only had 1 diamond...my guess is no. Mine had 3 diamonds and for a nanosecond, I felt like a winner. Did everybody win...probably. Did I feel deceived, no. I actually think it's a clever marketing stratedgy. Do I plan on using something like that, yes. See, there's another idea...put scratch offs on your flyer. Everybody loves them.

domain311
12-15-2010, 05:44 PM
Do you guys I shouldn't list some items and just direct to site? Less pics? Less wording? All the above? I like it overall with the pics but also think its a bit busy. Not sure the best way to rectify. Appreciate the feedback.
Posted via Mobile Device

walker-talker
12-15-2010, 07:52 PM
Hoe many of these flyers going out, just curious?

domain311
12-15-2010, 08:06 PM
Hoe many of these flyers going out, just curious?
A friend in another service industry has about 1500 clients so that's what this is primarily for. He will be sticking these in with his paperwork...for free. So its great in my opinion as my cost to do this is very low. I will have about another 1k because the printing was so cheap to get that many more...not sure what to do with those so open to suggestions.

Also plan on doing some postcards direct mailing in the spring.

domain311
12-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Here it is again, with some simple revisions...what do you guys think of this one? Any better? I know the red is simple but it is more catching. And although I like the hydrangea pic in the other one, I think I like this one better overall with more lawn.

rnd
12-17-2010, 01:35 PM
Visit rndsigns.com to see hundres of exclusive layouts of door hangers, fliers, stuffers, brochures

custom printing at a very economical price - view current promotions on our products

Our free marketing materials is free to download

TheBetterDoorhanger
12-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Hi there - I don't want to intrude on your forum but I know one of the main things I hear from my customers with advertising is the desire to find a cost effective way to keep the ad in view of the customer... or even just keep it on the door until they get home if you are distributing door hangers. Just wanted a moment of your time to tell you about our products that help keep your advertisement (door hanger, post card, flyer etc) on the door, off the lawn & in view on your customers fridge. Our Band-It feature is specifically designed easily & securely attach your door hanger to EVERY door. The Stick-It feature even allows them to bring your ad inside and hang it on the fridge like they would a magnet - but without the cost! We have a great start up special on our innovative Door Hanger Band-It Stick-It products and even offer free design services if you mention this forum post! ~ Thanks for your time & Happy Holidays, Robin robin@adeasprinting.com

SEARCH Lawnsite for Adeas Printing & see what other members are saying about us and our products. TELL CUSTOMER SERVICE YOU READ ABOUT US ON A LAWNSITE FORUM & RECEIVE FREE CUSTOM DESIGN!!
www.AdeasPrinting.com
866 - 778-4254
stickit@adeasprinting.com

rnd
12-21-2010, 11:27 AM
View our website to see our stuffer ideas, fits perfectly in a #9 or #10 envelope - we specialize in custom printing to the green industry.

View rndsigns.com to see our current marketing packages with great discounts

Hundreds of ideas to choose from

poolboy
01-01-2011, 09:56 PM
I've used designoutpost.com for several print designs and couldn't be more happy. In fact, I have 2 on going projects now listed there.

You cannot beat gotprint.com's pricing, either. We've used them several times and will do again once the new print design is complete.