PDA

View Full Version : Crack weed management

aaronb2006
12-09-2010, 05:58 PM
New to the forum and have a question. I have a commercial facility that has large parking lots with lots of cracks and, of course, crack weeds. I am tired of using man hours spraying and grinding from March until November. Has anyone here applied Sahara, Mojave, Pramitol, or any other bare-ground herbicide to parking lot cracks to control them? If so, had any problems killing turf or trees/shrubs near curb edges? I could still use it away from bed and turf edges if there's a problem killing desirable plants. Any experiences are greatly appreciated. Thanks! :waving:

mx315
12-09-2010, 07:01 PM
We use Sahara for gravel parking lots and fence lines. Last round gave us 9 months of kill. It will kill anything it gets next to, including trees. We killed a popcorn tree a few rounds back by spraying under it... which wasn't an issue since they are pest trees in FL.

grass4gas
12-09-2010, 08:23 PM
And here I thought it was something completely different he was talking about:laugh:

grassman177
12-09-2010, 09:28 PM
i was thinking of using something like this or a basic soil sterilant for our gravel storage lot.

it is not near anything so kill is not an issue with non target

any suggestions for this type of treament?

MarcSmith
12-09-2010, 09:36 PM
aaron, have you though about chasing out the cracks and having a company come in a seal the cracks? Solve the problem rather treating the symptoms.

my only concern would be run-off from the hard surface after a rain and what it may do to a retention area and such... maybe nothing if it was a hard enough rain and diluted the chems...

JDUtah
12-09-2010, 10:09 PM
aaron, have you though about chasing out the cracks and having a company come in a seal the cracks? Solve the problem rather treating the symptoms.

my only concern would be run-off from the hard surface after a rain and what it may do to a retention area and such... maybe nothing if it was a hard enough rain and diluted the chems...

Agreed. Not to mention that by sealing it, you are avoiding any erosion problems which could save you/them big bucks in the long haul.

aaronb2006
12-10-2010, 08:28 AM
Agreed that would be the ideal solution but it isn't my parking lot to seal. What is truly needed is a re-paving anyhow. Also agreed that chemical runoff is a potential problem. I intend to keep it well away from islands and edges of the lot, which still leaves me with a lot of space I can use it on. The label leads me to believe that this chemical stays put once worked into the ground by rain; has anyone experienced problems with it moving from the application area via rain/irrigation and killing non-target plants? Most of the areas I'm thinking of applying it are at least 30' from anything else. I guess what I was looking for was anyone who has any experience using these chemicals this way.

Thanks again!

JB1
12-10-2010, 09:01 AM
we use sahara on a lot for weeds coming up in cracks, have not had the first problem, works good.

MarcSmith
12-10-2010, 09:57 AM
i've seen karmex move but it was on a hillside.

I think with proper application you bee fine...

If it's not your lot to seal, then why are the weeds your problem?

Did you bid the parking lot weed control as part of the grounds maintenance and now are just trying to save labor costs?

Find an asphalt sealer and get him to price sealing, filling and repainting, mark the price up 20-30% and submit it as a extra... maybe you can make some money on it..

Snowy66
12-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Be carefull with Sahara! I have customers that want season long plant control on some vacant lots. Before I used this product on their lots, I tried it on an area of my gravel driveway that has weeds growing on it. I mixed it at a very low rate and just used a light application with a gallon hand sprayer and the runoff killed an area about ten feet long and 3 feet wide next to the drive. No way I'd use this stuff anywhere near anything important.

grassmasterswilson
12-10-2010, 01:34 PM
i use sureguard. it is very expensive up front. comes in a 5 pound container, but you only use about 1 teaspoon per gallon. i keep it mixed in my backpack for spot spraying beds and cracks. seems my control was around 4-6 months depending on how heavy you put it down.

Buck_wheat
12-12-2010, 10:51 AM
I'm in zone 9/10. Weeds are usually always a problem. Have tried Sahara, works great on large tracks like unpaved parking areas & roadways. Saharah can cause run off problems & leeching so I don't use it near residential turf grasses and ornamentals. (It's also great for drive by waterballoon drops on scab and leech lawns :D... disclaimer; doing so would be considered vandalism & malicious mischief :nono:)

For sidewalk & driveway cracks I use Glyco & Sureguard... you can even use a little scythe in the mix for a quick burn down.

For the beds, You can use Glyco and Pendulum Aquacap... the Auquacap is cheaper to use than Sureguard, is stained so you know where you sprayed and doesn't smell like a refinery like the regular Pendulum.

Have had really good success with using both Sureguard or Aguacap methods.

R&S Lawn Care
12-12-2010, 11:07 AM
I agree, gly + Pre. You can also spray this around the base of tree trunks without damage. I spray a 3' ring around all my trees to avoid mower or weedeater damage. Plus, it saves me a lot of time not having to weed eat around them. Another benefit is soil applied insecticide for trees is not taken up by the grass roots. One treatment lasts me all year.

cdqat1432
12-12-2010, 03:26 PM
You could also try glyphosphate mixed with Surflan. No need to worry about the orange staining as sunlight will diminish that. One nice thing is that it will not move and it should last at least four months. Surflan is not expensive either.

americanlawn
12-12-2010, 05:22 PM
I figured the same thing. :laugh::laugh:

I agree with folks like Buck_wheat. The safest bet is to use Roundup & a preemergent. All soil sterilents have too many liabilities.

We used Sahara in the past. Now I only use it on bad debt customers. :laugh:

And here I thought it was something completely different he was talking about:laugh:

Tim Smith
12-12-2010, 08:22 PM
LOL crack weeds
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
12-13-2010, 03:31 AM
Yo

When are the unwashed masses going to understand a little non staining Pre Emerge mixed in with all Glyo application is the economic way to go. If you watch closely, you will notice you are spraying the same spots all the time. By using a Pre emerge you extend the control time and have less labor as well as a happy customer.

fl-landscapes
12-13-2010, 03:03 PM
Yo

When are the unwashed masses going to understand a little non staining Pre Emerge mixed in with all Glyo application is the economic way to go. If you watch closely, you will notice you are spraying the same spots all the time. By using a Pre emerge you extend the control time and have less labor as well as a happy customer.

Holy crap 2:30 am....what are you doing up do late, shoveling coal into the furnace??? Its cold outside!!

Ric
12-13-2010, 03:56 PM
Holy crap 2:30 am....what are you doing up do late, shoveling coal into the furnace??? Its cold outside!!

Fl Land

I am not the type to report every fact of my daily life on the Internet like some people. But since you ask I have a case of the Flu and my day and night are upside down as I try and get past the Flu. I think I am sleeping 14 hours a day but not at one time.

fl-landscapes
12-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Fl Land

I am not the type to report every fact of my daily life on the Internet like some people. But since you ask I have a case of the Flu and my day and night are upside down as I try and get past the Flu. I think I am sleeping 14 hours a day but not at one time.

I was just cracking a joke. Hope you get better

RigglePLC
12-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Ric,
I hope you feel better--and soon!