PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn Winter Weeds

jgoddard8409
12-10-2010, 09:40 PM
I have a couple of yards that have some bad patches of winter weeds.

Any info on winter spraying (Charlotte Area we get warm days occ).

Or just wait til spring......:sleeping:

Thanks for the info

daveyo
12-10-2010, 10:04 PM
I have a couple of yards that have some bad patches of winter weeds.

Any info on winter spraying (Charlotte Area we get warm days occ).

Or just wait til spring......:sleeping:

Thanks for the info

Depends on what type of winter weeds they are, is the weed going to proliferate before it dies back? I'm guessing definitely, that's what plants do, but that doesn't necessary mean you'll have to treat. Find out exactly what the weed is (if you don't already know) check to see whats the best management practice, then if you have to spray, spray at the exact proper time or you'll be wasting time and money not to mention other possible impacts.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-11-2010, 12:53 AM
Winter weeds?

I have some - if I can clear the 12" of snow off the right area, I can find them petrified:)

cgaengineer
12-11-2010, 09:58 AM
I sprayed one a couple weeks ago and although I got a great kill...another cropping of weeds came in and pissed on my parade.
Posted via Mobile Device

RigglePLC
12-11-2010, 11:08 PM
Snow here. I don't understand the Charlotte climate conditions--do you mean winter annuals? Broadleafs? Grassy? In what grass? TF? Bermuda? ST Aug? Zoysia? Is it overseeded?

Do you mean you forgot to spray in November? Unsuccessful treatment? New weeds came up from seed? Sprouted from roots or rhizomes?
Wild garlic? Henbit? Poa annua? Hairy cress? Chickweed?

Most weed sprays work only on the fast growing part of the weed--if its not growing--results will be very slow, if any.

cgaengineer
12-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Snow here. I don't understand the Charlotte climate conditions--do you mean winter annuals? Broadleafs? Grassy? In what grass? TF? Bermuda? ST Aug? Zoysia? Is it overseeded?

Do you mean you forgot to spray in November? Unsuccessful treatment? New weeds came up from seed? Sprouted from roots or rhizomes?
Wild garlic? Henbit? Poa annua? Hairy cress? Chickweed?

Most weed sprays work only on the fast growing part of the weed--if its not growing--results will be very slow, if any.

Man thats a lot of questions for a Saturday night.....

RigglePLC
12-12-2010, 02:55 PM
CGA,
Boredom set in and I couldn't see the point of hitting the sack at 10:08. LOL! So why were you up at 11:30?

CGA is that for Computer Graphic Animation? Culver Girls Academy? Corn Growers Association?

Esters are usually recommended for cool weather--myself I am not convinced. Perhaps Speedzone, or some Quicksilver(works in 24 hours)(best for small weeds) would suit the OP's purposes. Use max rate and lots of surfactant to increase the power.

I don't know much about Bermuda, but I have heard that, if it is fully dormant, Roundup is the way to go. You need local advice.

cgaengineer
12-13-2010, 07:52 AM
CGA,
Boredom set in and I couldn't see the point of hitting the sack at 10:08. LOL! So why were you up at 11:30?

CGA is that for Computer Graphic Animation? Culver Girls Academy? Corn Growers Association?

Esters are usually recommended for cool weather--myself I am not convinced. Perhaps Speedzone, or some Quicksilver(works in 24 hours)(best for small weeds) would suit the OP's purposes. Use max rate and lots of surfactant to increase the power.

I don't know much about Bermuda, but I have heard that, if it is fully dormant, Roundup is the way to go. You need local advice.

I had just left my neighbors house from a warm fire and a few drinks...

The C is for Chris...the GA is for Georgia.

Be careful spraying RU on what some folks consider dormant bermuda...I have yet to see this mythical state of bermuda around here...it may exist, but in all cases where I have heard or seen people using it, almost all resulted in dead circles come spring.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassmasterswilson
12-13-2010, 08:40 AM
you can spray winter weeds, but be aware that it may take weeks for the weeds to die. highs in the 30's have caused many plants to shut down and slow the absorption of AI.

Chilehead
12-13-2010, 12:23 PM
I had just left my neighbors house from a warm fire and a few drinks...

The C is for Chris...the GA is for Georgia.

Be careful spraying RU on what some folks consider dormant bermuda...I have yet to see this mythical state of bermuda around here...it may exist, but in all cases where I have heard or seen people using it, almost all resulted in dead circles come spring.
Posted via Mobile Device

Several years ago, I first heard about LCOs spraying glyphosate on dormant bermuda to kill off winter weeds. I decided that before I do this on my clients' lawns, I better test it-on my own. About 3 weeks after the bermuda turned brown, I sprayed a 4 x 4 foot patch. The weeds died in about 2 weeks, but the grass was not "completely" dormant. I noticed that the 1/2" of grass shoot closest to the ground had browned out within the patch, but not outside the patch. I sprayed a separate 4 x 4 patch towards the middle/end of January, at which time there was NO green shoot at all (those weeds also died out in time--mainly poa annua). Fast forward to late April........
The entire lawn came in fine, even the patch where I initially sprayed in December. That first test patch however took a little longer to fully green up, but by late May matched the rest of the lawn. I believe the key is to make sure the bermuda is absolutely dormant prior to an initial spray. Soil temps must be in the upper 30's or lower. This is just IMHO.

cgaengineer
12-13-2010, 12:33 PM
Several years ago, I first heard about LCOs spraying glyphosate on dormant bermuda to kill off winter weeds. I decided that before I do this on my clients' lawns, I better test it-on my own. About 3 weeks after the bermuda turned brown, I sprayed a 4 x 4 foot patch. The weeds died in about 2 weeks, but the grass was not "completely" dormant. I noticed that the 1/2" of grass shoot closest to the ground had browned out within the patch, but not outside the patch. I sprayed a separate 4 x 4 patch towards the middle/end of January, at which time there was NO green shoot at all (those weeds also died out in time--mainly poa annua). Fast forward to late April........
The entire lawn came in fine, even the patch where I initially sprayed in December. That first test patch however took a little longer to fully green up, but by late May matched the rest of the lawn. I believe the key is to make sure the bermuda is absolutely dormant prior to an initial spray. Soil temps must be in the upper 30's or lower. This is just IMHO.

Yes, brown bermuda doesn't always mean fully dormant bermuda!!! I myself have always seen green near ground, it is my understanding that you need 3 full days below freezing to get fully dormant bermuda.

That being said, what about a reduced rate of RU...1% mixture?
Posted via Mobile Device

Chilehead
12-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Yes, brown bermuda doesn't always mean fully dormant bermuda!!! I myself have always seen green near ground, it is my understanding that you need 3 full days below freezing to get fully dormant bermuda.

That being said, what about a reduced rate of RU...1% mixture?
Posted via Mobile Device

I can see where using a 1% mixture would be smart if the aim is to minimize turf damage. On the other hand, when temps are below freezing there isn't much uptake from the weedy plant, thus the glyphosate may very well break down before any substantial damage to the weed has taken place. I personally use a 1.5% mix rate on everything if temps are below 45 F, but also wont do so UNLESS the turf is fully dormant.
Let me ask you something......do you know of any products out there that increase absorbtion of herbicides when temps are below freezing? Surfactants are about all I can come up with.

cgaengineer
12-13-2010, 01:48 PM
Using oil based surfactants may help, but only to a certain point. Since the plant growth is slowed down so much due to the lower temps...absorption will be slow regarless.

I sprayed some LV400 Thursday and I will post back my results if you remind me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chilehead
12-13-2010, 01:51 PM
Using oil based surfactants may help, but only to a certain point. Since the plant growth is slowed down so much due to the lower temps...absorption will be slow regarless.

I sprayed some LV400 Thursday and I will post back my results if you remond me.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sure, I'll "remond" you , mon. I did not know you were Jamaican, mon. Cool, mon. Peace out, mon.:laugh:

cgaengineer
12-13-2010, 01:52 PM
Sure, I'll "remond" you , mon. I did not know you were Jamaican, mon. Cool, mon. Peace out, mon.:laugh:

Shut up...I just edited that right as you wrote this!
Posted via Mobile Device

Chilehead
12-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Shut up...I just edited that right as you wrote this!
Posted via Mobile Device

The Chile was a little to quick for you, huh? :laugh:

cgaengineer
12-13-2010, 02:09 PM
The Chile was a little to quick for you, huh? :laugh:

Yes, but you missed "regarless"!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

grassmasterswilson
12-13-2010, 02:11 PM
round 1 for me i usually spray the bermuda with gly(1.5 qt per acre i think) along with my spilt app of pre.

good thing about bermuda is that it will always come back.

Chilehead
12-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Yes, but you missed "regarless"!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Now that misspelled word was on purpose...:laugh:

cgaengineer
12-13-2010, 02:28 PM
round 1 for me i usually spray the bermuda with gly(1.5 qt per acre i think) along with my spilt app of pre.

good thing about bermuda is that it will always come back.

If you do a blanket app and its delayed 2 weeks it would be better than large patches being delayed I would assume.
Posted via Mobile Device

jimshack
12-13-2010, 06:28 PM
high rate of speedzone and simizine will take care of most winter weeds, but not at the temps we have right now...I'm not apt to try the roundup though I know alot of folks swear by it.

cgaengineer
12-13-2010, 06:36 PM
high rate of speedzone and simizine will take care of most winter weeds, but not at the temps we have right now...I'm not apt to try the roundup though I know alot of folks swear by it.

I'm scared of RU too...I just can't be comfortable spraying a non selective. I am also probably one of the most over cautious applicators ever!

Up until last week I have been using just a regular 3way along with Octane. Seems to work well until the temps dip below about 40°.
Posted via Mobile Device

Premier landscaping south
12-13-2010, 07:32 PM
I mix my tank at 1/3 of the normal rate for Round Up apps. in dormant bermuda. I mix 1/2 (.5) ounce of round up per gallon.

jgoddard8409
12-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Thanks for all the input gang, I shudda specified cool season grass..lol...I am the bermuda master..Full strength RU before march , unless there has been a real hard warm up. I usually start in Jan / Feb. & deffinately not until multiple hard freezes. I saw our community LCC spray in march and we had brown patches til May / June....taking over contract next year...LOL

ReddensLawnCare
01-11-2011, 12:38 AM
I know what you mean about the winter weeds, A LOT of my lawns that I just picked up look pretty ruff right now. The biggest problem we are facing in charlotte area is that we were not able to really get started on aerating until the start of october when we got our first rain since mid august. This delayed the length of time from germination to maturtity to four weeks rather than two if planted during the right time of year. The later you planted, the longer it took to mature. I have yards that I planted at the begging of November that I never mowed. Most of those are the ones with the weeds...BC you cannot spray most herbicides until the second mowing or you WILL screw up the young grass. Your best bet will be to wait until spring when things start popping out and hit them then. If you are able, and the yards look too rough, you can set your mower low and just knock the top of the weeds off. I hope that answers your questions, even though you customers wont like it much. They just have to understand that we cant control nature, no matter how much they want us too....