PDA

View Full Version : LED's ??

addictedtolandscaping
12-11-2010, 08:21 AM
Finally started closing work this year, lots of c-9.

However my issue is this, as I mentioned in another thread, I have some homes with a lot of c-9 up. One house because they have no other circuits available, I am pulling 12.8 amps through one outlet, told her point blank it is really high, and that she needs to consider LED next season.

Hear is my situation though, I am here a lot as we all know, I don't really see a consistent regard for LED. I am looking for C-9 retro's that present similar to incan. I recently put an order in with LPG for some mini's, however 9 days later and a whole lot of bs, UPS still hasn't delivered, lost the project now so, emailed the salesman this am and canceled the order. They had the wrong address to being with, advised them of the correct one when I placed the order, they changed the billing but obviously not the shipping. Also called AMEX and explained the situation to them as well. Project is gone, so no need for the item.

So I guess the point of this, who has the best retro's??

wurkn with amish
12-11-2010, 11:43 AM
I buy mine from Brite Ideas or Light Energy Designs---- Brite Ideas are 3 LEDs in the retro, Where I think Light Energy Designs is 5

David Gretzmier
12-11-2010, 08:45 PM
retro LED c9's are all over the place in as far as brightness not just overall brightness but more important, viewing angle. many 5 led or 5 diode retros look awesome, even brighter than incan when you are staring down the tip of the bulb. but stand it up and look at the side of the bulb and it can be very dim, the worst being 25-35% as bright as incan. there are some I have seen this year that are almost the same both ways, and they are the faceted 5 diodes. I have some s11 led bulbs that go in c-9 sockets that have 8 leds per bulb, and they are BRIGHT. probably close to a 10 watt c-9, but when viewed straight on they stand out very well in a bright parking lot for a commercial retail job like walmart or target.

The tough pill on LED's is the longevity. I have driven around this year more than average, checking out my competition, and the local Christmas Decor franchise uses the heck out of LED retrofits on ridges, rooflines, windows, doorways, garages, sidewalks, driveways, toilet seats, well, you get the idea. but I see LED bulbs out constantly. every house has at least one, and usually 2 or 3 out. almost all of my properties are incan, except maybe 10, and I usually have a bulb out here and there too. so the main reason to use them is for saving electricity, not because they necessarily last longer. every led bulb we tested over the last 7 years has been terrible, the exception being the ones last year and this year. They are about the same as incan now, but of course, 5-10 times as expensive.

not all LED retro's save that much electricity either. I got 1200, c-7, 3 diode from Orman this year for a huge tree project. they had the new clear plastic, warm white, elevated leds and were very bright, and probably were closer to bright white than warm white color. The bulb was very directional and really only made sense on a tree where it would create a twinkle effect. They were labeled .43 watts on the bag and base of bulb, but 1100 of them were over 20 amps at 120 volts. or 2400 watts, or about 2 plus watts each. regular c-7s pull 5 watts. just because they say they only pull x, and they are new, does not make them true or good. about 5 were bad right out of the box. better than most incan boxes of 1000, but time will tell.