PDA

View Full Version : Attaching cable to trees

landlites
12-11-2010, 02:16 PM
John Deere Landscapes sells these Tree Clips. Quick and easy to use with a coated deck screw. Much better than staples, eyebolts, or zip ties. I bought a box of 100 for about $13 and change.

trailboss
12-11-2010, 02:34 PM
We have been using those for about a year - with a stainless square drive screw and really like them. They are a million times better than the staples and/or zip ties that we used to use. Thumbs Up

Rainman7
12-11-2010, 06:14 PM
I like em. Do you have a part# or name?

nikster78
12-11-2010, 08:01 PM
We stick with the T75 staple gun by Arrow. Its just so much quicker when repelling down a 30'-75' tree. This also allows us to schedule a routine maintenance and bulb changes about a year or so after the job has been completed. Certain customers may elect to purchase our annual maintenance plan which can include anything from the re attachment of wire in trees to bulb change outs. Something to fall back on when work is slow.

SmartWaterApps
02-05-2011, 10:46 PM
Those are really nice! I haven't seen them up in Canada, but I'll have to call around since they are standing your tests.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-06-2011, 09:08 AM
Nice to see new and innovative products coming to market. I will stay with the Arrow T59 Staple system though. In our relatively slow growing forests the staples stay attached to the outer bark layer and literally grow outwards with the tree. In most applications there is no need to re-wire and re-staple the tree. (installation into young, immature and fast growing species requires annual follow up.)

The Arrow T59 staple system is fast, effective, convenient, discreet and cost effective at about $0.04 each.

Tomwilllight
02-06-2011, 03:56 PM
This is interesting. I'll place an order today and report my reaction to the "tree clips." It's too bad the photo above is so out-of-focus. It's almost impossible to figure out what is going on.

Frankly, I find the use of staples questionable and much prefer SS screws because they can be easily backed out as need to accommodate the tree's growth. Mr. Solecki and I have discussed this on occasion and I know he's convinced that Canadian trees do much better with staples than the trees I've observed "south of the border".

I'm always interested in any advances in our efforts to installing lighting equipment on living surfaces that avoid irreparable & unnecessary damage to those plants.

Tom

drewguy
02-08-2011, 10:42 AM
I like em. Do you have a part# or name?

Wondering on this too--haven't been able to locate them online.

Tomwilllight
02-08-2011, 11:47 AM
No, I haven't found anything.

My google search first hit brought me back to this forum and the second took me to a JD web site for accessories. A search for Tree Clip there produced nothing.

I also e-mailed my local JD Distributor and have heard nothing... yet.

Does anyone have any additional information on these clips? Could it be they are test marketing them in Florida before releasing them nationwide?

Tom

Rotor_Tool
02-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Is this a screw mounted zip tie? I can't tell what the "clip" mechanism is from the pic.

drewguy
02-08-2011, 11:58 AM
I can't tell what holds the cable to the mount, but it appears to be a clip on one end for the cable and a screwhole connected by a yoke to it. You put the screw through the middle of the big plastic circle at the top.

Rotor_Tool
02-08-2011, 12:17 PM
I was thinking it was some kind of clip but couldn't tell for sure. If it is a zip tie with a screw mount, you can get those from U-Line dirt cheap.