PDA

View Full Version : Duramax trucks

Springmeadows
12-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Anybody with a duramax been approached lately about selling your truck? I have had three guys wanting to buy my truck because "they are impossible to find with under 100,000 miles". Is this really true? I might sell the truck by the end of the year, if this is true.

I have had a year, that just don't pay the bills. So I am thinking of getting rid of the truck and some equipment to focus on something else.

mowerbrad
12-12-2010, 08:53 PM
To give you the perspective of someone who was shopping for trucks this past year, Duramax trucks (any diesel truck really) are going for a premium right now.

I found a 2004.5 duramax with over 220k, could have even been near 250k, it was going for $15000.

There are very few duramax trucks for sale out there with less than 100k on them, which means that any dmax with lower miles will go for quite a pretty penny.

Springmeadows
12-12-2010, 09:52 PM
I have an 2006 GMC Sierra crew cab deisel, 4 WD, with under 100,000 miles that I'm gonna sell. If I can get enough to buy a decent truck to work out of it, and buy my wife a decent car I'm gonna do it. I had the dealer which I bought it at call me and want me to come in and talk about selling the truck back to them. I said, "what?" Then two other guys stop me on the street and think about it.

mowerbrad
12-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Judging by the info you have given, that truck would be listed for probably over $30k....as long as its clean and everything works. If you sell it, you'd probably be best off selling it yourself and getting near $30k for it.

Evan528
12-12-2010, 11:41 PM
Any of the pre-emission diesel seem to be in very high demand right now. Blue value seems to mean nothing anymore when it comes to those diesels. Every where you look they are being listed for 5-$10,000 + over blue book value.

My 03 ram Cummins blue private party for about $17,000. I have seen trucks very similiar to ine with more miles listed for $25,000+.

I guess all the new diesels really do suck!

Petr51488
12-13-2010, 02:35 AM
I guess all the new diesels really do suck!

Not the new duramax's. I have an 08 and its a great performing truck.

Evan528
12-13-2010, 09:31 AM

Havent had any problems with the emisions equipment? What kind of driving do you do?

Springmeadows
12-13-2010, 09:55 AM
If I can find a decent work truck, my deisel is gonna be sold. After the couple of past years I've had, I cannot justify a truck that nice to work out of. I was thinking of an older truck with a utility bed on it that's 2WD. But we have 6" of snow on the ground and still snowing, my wife thinks I'm crazy for wanting rid of my truck.

DoetschOutdoor
12-13-2010, 11:06 AM
To people like Procut that wanna start arguments over why buy a diesel, this is exactly why. Diesels are always in demand and they hold their value very well. Try selling your gasser with 150k miles and see how bad they rape ya. Put your diesel on the market and watch your cell phone blow up, by people that actually have the money as well.

GravelyNut
12-13-2010, 10:25 PM
To people like Procut that wanna start arguments over why buy a diesel, this is exactly why. Diesels are always in demand and they hold their value very well. Try selling your gasser with 150k miles and see how bad they rape ya. Put your diesel on the market and watch your cell phone blow up, by people that actually have the money as well.

If it has an 8.1L Vortec you can expect to see the same percentage prices as a Diesel. Why? Because even for all the bad rap that those who don't have one give them, they hold their value just as well. $10K vs $15K for the DM still just matches the extra that was paid for the DM to start with.

DoetschOutdoor
12-13-2010, 10:38 PM
If it has an 8.1L Vortec you can expect to see the same percentage prices as a Diesel. Why? Because even for all the bad rap that those who don't have one give them, they hold their value just as well. $10K vs $15K for the DM still just matches the extra that was paid for the DM to start with.

The only people around here with the big blocks is because they couldnt afford or were too impatient to wait and find a diesel. Sure they have tons of pulling power but about 8 or 10mpg sucks real fast. Every single day, every single day, every single day there are diesel trucks on craigslist. 155,000 miles, 5 or 6 years old, truck still sells for 18 grand in ONE day and is gone the next day when I call about it. When I get bored sometimes Ill call the guys and ask them if they sold the trucks. 9 outta 10 times, truck is gone FAST. I did the comparison game for 4 months last winter bf. buying and even found a gas station with diesel for less than premium gasoline. If Im going to be making a payment on something, might as well be something that I enjoy and will hold its value, unlike gassers.

lawn king
12-13-2010, 11:11 PM

Same here i have an 2008 lmm 3500, awesome truck. 365 stock hp, 6 speed allison, 18 mpg highway. This truck hauls my 9000# machine/trailer like its not even there! as for snowplowing, unstoppable!!

rcslawncare
12-14-2010, 12:23 AM
The only people around here with the big blocks is because they couldnt afford or were too impatient to wait and find a diesel.

^^^
Kind of an ignorant statement... Some don't need or want a diesel, not because they can't afford a Diesel...

GravelyNut
12-14-2010, 01:41 AM
The only people around here with the big blocks is because they couldnt afford or were too impatient to wait and find a diesel. Sure they have tons of pulling power but about 8 or 10mpg sucks real fast. Every single day, every single day, every single day there are diesel trucks on craigslist. 155,000 miles, 5 or 6 years old, truck still sells for 18 grand in ONE day and is gone the next day when I call about it. When I get bored sometimes Ill call the guys and ask them if they sold the trucks. 9 outta 10 times, truck is gone FAST. I did the comparison game for 4 months last winter bf. buying and even found a gas station with diesel for less than premium gasoline. If Im going to be making a payment on something, might as well be something that I enjoy and will hold its value, unlike gassers.
Just the opposite was true of your first statement in my case. The dealer had a DM dually crewcab on the lot and had to find the 8.1 Ext cab for me. The DM would have cost me the list for the 8.1. The 8.1 went out the door for far less than list. If you run the numbers before buying, a DM and a 8.1's break even point is around 250K miles. Both engines are 250K rated also. But when you add maintenance costs and fuel prices in you don't break even until then.

lawn king
12-14-2010, 06:03 AM
The fact that you cant find used duramax in any numbers says it all! People like these trucks and the keep them! GM's got 10 years of Dmax legacy behind them now, they are awesome trucks!

Springmeadows
12-14-2010, 10:13 AM
I see all of your points about the Duramax trucks. I am tempted to sell it because I could probably get all my money back and then some when I sell it, but I know that I will never replace it. I will miss the truck, but I am trying to be realistic on the future of my business. With the last three or four years my business has declined and doesn't look good for next year either. I have seriously thought of selling all my equipment and trying something else. The truck is an essential part of any business, but there are cheaper ways to do the same thing.

DoetschOutdoor
12-14-2010, 11:02 AM
The only people around here with the big blocks is because they couldnt afford or were too impatient to wait and find a diesel.

^^^
Kind of an ignorant statement... Some don't need or want a diesel, not because they can't afford a Diesel...

Im not being ignorant or bashing those guys...but around here I can think of several people off the top of my head that traded their big blocks for diesels. At least 3 of them.

I cant compete in truck knowledge with ya GravelyNut bc you have had some badass trucks and Im sure you know your chit but do you really put the life of your truck at 250k? Sure the motor may be good for that much but what about all the other expensive parts that go on both gassers and diesels with high mileage and work use?

Petr51488
12-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Havent had any problems with the emisions equipment? What kind of driving do you do?

Nope, none at all. Mainly highway driving. I tow my 5th wheel camper maybe 10-15 times a year, both dump trailers when they need to be taken on longer trips etc. Overall great truck.

GravelyNut
12-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Im not being ignorant or bashing those guys...but around here I can think of several people off the top of my head that traded their big blocks for diesels. At least 3 of them.

I cant compete in truck knowledge with ya GravelyNut bc you have had some badass trucks and Im sure you know your chit but do you really put the life of your truck at 250k? Sure the motor may be good for that much but what about all the other expensive parts that go on both gassers and diesels with high mileage and work use?At 104 K the most expensive thing for me has been the plug change at 102K. Things that did fail did it while under warranty. And two replacement fenders due to accidents. :( Batteries get replaced on a three year basis which is on par with a friend needing two in his DM every couple years. As when I bought this truck I didn't plan on putting 4200 miles on it in a two week period, I had figured it would rot/rust out before it would get to the 250K. But that is what both engines were rated at when mine was built. No more 8.1s will force the change to the DM next time as the 6.0 just won't cut it. And under load the 6.0 gets the same mileage as the 8.1 with none of the grunt. The new 2011 DM is a powerhouse but they need to be run to get the money back on them with them pushing the $50K ranges. 9.5 years on my 2001 so it is coming due for replacement with something else for the Florida to Ohio trips soon.

meador56
12-14-2010, 11:31 PM
Just the opposite was true of your first statement in my case. The dealer had a DM dually crewcab on the lot and had to find the 8.1 Ext cab for me. The DM would have cost me the list for the 8.1. The 8.1 went out the door for far less than list. If you run the numbers before buying, a DM and a 8.1's break even point is around 250K miles. Both engines are 250K rated also. But when you add maintenance costs and fuel prices in you don't break even until then.

This is what I have what my math tells me also. AND if your diesel eats a set of injectors then breakeven may be 300k.

koster_irrigation
01-01-2011, 11:39 AM
I have an 07 3500 srw (single rear wheel) crew cab duramax service body
and an 09 3500 srw crew cab duramax service body

no plans on parting with either. great running trucks. the 07 has about 50k on it now, the 09 has 20k

im irrigation only, i used to have Vans now ive parted with those to these, love it