PDA

View Full Version : How Do You Control Spray Coverage on Turf?

DavidNJ
12-13-2010, 01:08 AM
There are all sorts of parts to this:

Coverage
Do you use foam dots at the end of the boom, a dye included in the spray, GPS tracking?

Speed Control
Some sort of speedometer, a GPS speedometer, spray rate coupled to wheel speed, a calibrated foot?

Nozzle Wear
Do you have a calibration device to test the nozzles?

System Flow
How do you calibrate the pressure to the flow and how do you regulate it?

Agitation
How do you ensure the mixture stays mixed?

DavidNJ
12-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Just bumping a little. I've noticed there are now lots GPS walking speedometers.

grassman177
12-15-2010, 10:31 PM
i used to rythem myself walking to music for when i drug a hose around, now it is gps on the zsprays which of course is easy.

DavidNJ
12-15-2010, 10:49 PM
How do you handle overlap? Nozzle wear? Calibration?

grassman177
12-16-2010, 01:33 AM
just watch spacing is all, and on a lot of lawns our stripes are perfect for following to spray and spread.

on large areas, especially with no stripes to follow, we have a foamer on the zspray max.

i am good at spacing very even from years of mowing and spreading.

calibration/ well, measure an area(junk lot, gravel etc) and then trial and error till you get it right on the money.ours have gps speedos and set bars once you get it right. best i can do, you have to figure out each machine. there is generally guidlines and such and then you tweek from there.

same principal using a personal gps to walk and hose spray.

avguy
12-16-2010, 08:17 AM
I use a pto driven boom sprayer on my 2 acre property. As Grassman said, trial & error. I went over my property maybe 3x or so with plain water paying attention to ground speed, psi & spray height. Pick up some Lesco Tracker or similar. Very inexpensive dye & will tell you exactly where you've been.

I stop after every 3rd or 4th pass, shut off the boom and let the pump agitate the mix again. The unit has a pressure gauge to regulate the psi.

DavidNJ
12-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Sidebar question: how do you handle odd areas. For example, in the Turfco picture below, showing the optional 12' boom on their sprayer, there is a 2-4' wide area that is not under the spray. How do you cover that area?

http://www.turfcodirect.com/webres/catalog/99_2_t3000-spreader-sprayer-spray-boom-l.jpg

avguy
12-23-2010, 11:22 AM
With a spray wand. My sprayer has a 12' boom as well as a wand with 15' of hose.