PDA

View Full Version : exterior building lighting motion sensors

Ziob
12-13-2010, 08:03 AM
just curious if anyone knows anything about the exterior building lighting that have screw in motion sensors in them....they usually run the expensive vapor bulbs that are high pressure. I'm working on some landscape lighting on a property and these lights don't work the owner wants them repaired...inside seems fine they are getting power, put new bulb in them can the motion sensors go bad or burn out and need replacement...they look like a oil filter.

thanks

Pro-Scapes
12-13-2010, 08:20 AM
Its hard to determine what your saying by your post.

I think by motion sensor you are talking about the twist lock photocell on top of the HPS or MH fixture ? If so indeed these can go back. Even tho you have voltage in the fixture you can also have a bad ballast in these types of fixture. We replace alot of them on service jobs especially commercial sites.

You also need to ensure your using the right lamp for the ballast/fixture it is being installed in. Mercury vapor.... metal halide and high pressure sodium are all different. I have also never seen these lights on motion sensors because they require a strike before they turn on.

With that said if you obviously are not an electrician and not qualified to be servicing the 120v lighting. Team up with a good electrician in your area and sub out the work

Ziob
12-13-2010, 08:47 AM
maybe that is it but it is motion sensored you walk out the door and it kicks on.

Pro-Scapes
12-13-2010, 11:18 PM
you need pictures. Your descriptions are not covering it for me.

Ziob
12-15-2010, 10:08 AM
i figured out the problem the moron who replaced the burnt out high pressure sodium bulb put in a 150watt replacement that requires an s55 ballast...........the fixture uses 70watt and s62 ballast bulbs.........150watt bulb won't even light up completely wrong bulb for the fixture and here we are thinking everythings broken or the motion sensor is shot.

pays to just do crap yourself sometimes