PDA

View Full Version : 05 ford 6.0 questions

DBFlawn
12-13-2010, 05:44 PM
hey everyone, i have a 2005 ford 6.0, ive been doing a little bit of reading lately, more than i did before i bought it, and i keep reading things about egr problems? i dont fully understand what the problem is with them and i know theres a delete kit for them but what is the benifit? will the truck still pass emmissions with the delete kit? do i even need to take my truck to emissions? its a F550 is that matters at all.

i appreciate any help in advance

jkilov
12-13-2010, 06:52 PM
These engines are absolute junk. Specially early units like this 05 model, avoid like the plague.

Forget EGR, the whole fuel system was never perfected, injectors go bad all the time, cost an arm and a leg, fuel lines leak, pumps act up. The compound turbochargers fail in series and require the cab to be lifted off when replacing. Another weak point are the head gaskets and take 15hrs to replace when done by experts, forget diy.

Yes they are that bad, get something else... anything else.

SimonCX
12-13-2010, 07:18 PM
Egr and oil coolers are the major problems in these engines both can be fixed with better parts. Either delete the egr but then you have to get a tuner and will not pass emissions or get a bulletproof diesel egr it's designed to flow better and solves that problem without any tuners and still legal. You will have to flush the cooling system and change the coolant to a cat elc coolant or something similar, ford coolant isn't the best and clogs the egr causing blow headgaskets because of overheating. Oil coolers get clogged and send oil through the cooling system and out the degas bottle. My 05 had my oil cooler go at 67k because I waited too long and ended up with alot more work then if I did it before. In the 05's it's a good idea to change the oil drain pipe to a newer one that flows better and the improved hpop kit. The job isn't that bad just be prepared to spend the whole weekend to do the egr and oil cooler because there is alot to take apart and clean. If you go to bulletproof diesel they have alot of info and pics of the parts that fail and why.

DBFlawn
12-13-2010, 09:31 PM
These engines are absolute junk. Specially early units like this 05 model, avoid like the plague.

Forget EGR, the whole fuel system was never perfected, injectors go bad all the time, cost an arm and a leg, fuel lines leak, pumps act up. The compound turbochargers fail in series and require the cab to be lifted off when replacing. Another weak point are the head gaskets and take 15hrs to replace when done by experts, forget diy.

Ive already bought the truck and have had it for about a year and a half, im 100% satisfied with it had injectors done at 129k and now its for well over 155k on it and it runs great daily.

DBFlawn
12-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Egr and oil coolers are the major problems in these engines both can be fixed with better parts. Either delete the egr but then you have to get a tuner and will not pass emissions or get a bulletproof diesel egr it's designed to flow better and solves that problem without any tuners and still legal. You will have to flush the cooling system and change the coolant to a cat elc coolant or something similar, ford coolant isn't the best and clogs the egr causing blow headgaskets because of overheating. Oil coolers get clogged and send oil through the cooling system and out the degas bottle. My 05 had my oil cooler go at 67k because I waited too long and ended up with alot more work then if I did it before. In the 05's it's a good idea to change the oil drain pipe to a newer one that flows better and the improved hpop kit. The job isn't that bad just be prepared to spend the whole weekend to do the egr and oil cooler because there is alot to take apart and clean. If you go to bulletproof diesel they have alot of info and pics of the parts that fail and why.

Does this truck NEED to go to emissions? Ive taken it before, im just wondering if its required or not, i know people that take their pre 1995 cars for emissions even thought they dont have to go. And yeah i know about the injectors and head gaskets ive done them once on mine. Ive been pretty lucky id say with it since its got over 155k on it and pretty problem free. Ive read about the bullet proof stuff and their a deffinate consideration, do you know how much they run installed?

thanks alot guys i really appreciate it :waving:

SimonCX
12-13-2010, 11:06 PM
You have to check with dmv if it needs emissions, I know in nj my 1 ton diesel is self inspection but the 3/4 has to go to dmv because they go by gvw of the truck. Honestly I have no idea how much it would cost to install the bulletproof kit. I did it in 2 days but that was my first time and I changed out some extra stuff, my truck was also blowing oil out of the degas bottle so it had alittle more cleaning then if everything is ok. If I had to do it again I could probably get it done in one day so I couldn't image a mechinic taking more then 7-8 hrs. Once you look at the ford egr and bpd egr it's a very big difference in flow.

DBFlawn
12-13-2010, 11:30 PM
You have to check with dmv if it needs emissions, I know in nj my 1 ton diesel is self inspection but the 3/4 has to go to dmv because they go by gvw of the truck. Honestly I have no idea how much it would cost to install the bulletproof kit. I did it in 2 days but that was my first time and I changed out some extra stuff, my truck was also blowing oil out of the degas bottle so it had alittle more cleaning then if everything is ok. If I had to do it again I could probably get it done in one day so I couldn't image a mechinic taking more then 7-8 hrs. Once you look at the ford egr and bpd egr it's a very big difference in flow.

thanks for the help, seems like you know alot about the 6.0's. ill call my dmv when i get the chance next, if you dont mind me asking 1 more question, i know you said theres a flow difference, but do you feel a performance gain or is this just some good preventative maintenance?

SimonCX
12-14-2010, 02:08 PM
It doesn't really give you any preformance gains but the truck is running cooler with everything changed over. It just comes down to fixing something that is prone to breaking so you don't have to deal with it in the future. If bought another 6.0 it would the first thing I would change so it doesn't cause the mess I had in my truck.

bobcat_ron
12-14-2010, 02:40 PM
I ripped all the emissions and other drap out of my early '05 and it gets better fuel economy and better low end torque, no chip or programmer, just open dual pipes.
We don't need to pass emissions tests here for the big trucks, but it will come soon, so hopefully my truck will be a heap of scrap metal on the front of a Mack truck or sold to some rich white kid who dreams of being a big rig trucker.
I always yank around 20,000 pounds and my EGT's dropped 150 degreesF on the highway.
I do want to put a programmer on it next year though.

Gravel Rat
12-14-2010, 07:52 PM
I love how people just blatenly call the 6.0 a POS I have two of of them no major problems the one needed a turbo (under warranty) and the one I currently have needed a FICM.

You should check your regulations on emmissions before you go deleting the EGR cooler etc. You may pass without it but if they don't see it you will fail.

There is a upgraded aftermarket EGR cooler if you have emmissions testing.

Keep in mind emmissions testing or not it is ILLEGAL to remove the emissions control system.

DBFlawn
12-14-2010, 10:12 PM
It doesn't really give you any preformance gains but the truck is running cooler with everything changed over. It just comes down to fixing something that is prone to breaking so you don't have to deal with it in the future. If bought another 6.0 it would the first thing I would change so it doesn't cause the mess I had in my truck.

good info thanks a lot!

DBFlawn
12-14-2010, 10:14 PM
I ripped all the emissions and other drap out of my early '05 and it gets better fuel economy and better low end torque, no chip or programmer, just open dual pipes.
We don't need to pass emissions tests here for the big trucks, but it will come soon, so hopefully my truck will be a heap of scrap metal on the front of a Mack truck or sold to some rich white kid who dreams of being a big rig trucker.
I always yank around 20,000 pounds and my EGT's dropped 150 degreesF on the highway.
I do want to put a programmer on it next year though.

i believe you had a video on youtube about it right? sounded good! these motors are monsters!

DBFlawn
12-14-2010, 10:15 PM
I love how people just blatenly call the 6.0 a POS I have two of of them no major problems the one needed a turbo (under warranty) and the one I currently have needed a FICM.

You should check your regulations on emmissions before you go deleting the EGR cooler etc. You may pass without it but if they don't see it you will fail.

There is a upgraded aftermarket EGR cooler if you have emmissions testing.

Keep in mind emmissions testing or not it is ILLEGAL to remove the emissions control system.

for once ill have to agree with you on this, i live my truck and even after doing injectors once, illl keep it forever and wouldnt have a problem buying another

bobcat_ron
12-14-2010, 10:17 PM
i believe you had a video on youtube about it right? sounded good! these motors are monsters!

The smoker video I made a while back is a good one. :laugh:

DBFlawn
12-14-2010, 10:21 PM
The smoker video I made a while back is a good one. :laugh:

not sure if i saw that one, i remeber one of you when you went up a decent grade or on the highway maybe? it was a while ago so excuse me if im wrong lol

bobcat_ron
12-14-2010, 10:45 PM
not sure if i saw that one, i remeber one of you when you went up a decent grade or on the highway maybe? it was a while ago so excuse me if im wrong lol

Oh I remember that one, that's the one I need to put back up again, if I removed it, hell I can't remember, I hardly use that account anymore.

DBFlawn
12-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Oh I remember that one, that's the one I need to put back up again, if I removed it, hell I can't remember, I hardly use that account anymore.

yupp thats the one ha

DBFlawn
12-14-2010, 11:21 PM
another question, i read on the bullet proof website and theres great information, but i am unclear on one thing, is there a benieit of replacing just the upgraded egr cooler without doing the oil cooler? or would just doing th egr be pointless?

PonyExpress94
12-15-2010, 01:25 AM
another question, i read on the bullet proof website and theres great information, but i am unclear on one thing, is there a benieit of replacing just the upgraded egr cooler without doing the oil cooler? or would just doing th egr be pointless?

Really your best course of action is this...

If the truck is running okay, purchase a digital gauge display such as the Edge Insight CS or CTS. It plugs into the OBD II port under the dash and allows you to monitor engine parameters that the trucks Powertrain Control Module (PCM) sees. Watch your Engine Oil Temp(EOT) and Engine Coolant Temp(ECT) if you see a consistent temperature difference (also called delta) of more than 15* between those two temps you are most likely going to be replacing your oil cooler because it has clogged. You may have read this can be traced to the Ford Gold Coolant and the silicates contained in the coolant. More information on changing the Oil Cooler is availble on just about any Ford Truck Forum you can find on an internet search.

The Oil Cooler is typically the underlying reason that an EGR cooler fails. Once the Oil Cooler has plugged it doesn't supply the EGR cooler with coolant and the EGR cooler fails due to heat stress. So if your going to go in there and replace the EGR cooler definitely do the oil cooler if your temps are more than 15* apart.

As said earlier you will have to check with your local DMV to find out if your truck needs to comply with emission test rules. My guess would be that because of the trucks GVW it does not.

I'll agree that the 6.0 has shortcomings that were highlighted in the early years by fuel quality that lagged behind what the 6.0 was designed to burn and needed to run right and by an insufficient number of technicians that could properly diagnose the problems.

I personally love my 03 6.0 with 69,000 miles. The best thing you can do is change the oil every 3,000 miles, both fuel filters every 10,000 miles, clean the EGR valve every 25,000 miles, drain the frame mounted HFCM (on inside of frame under drivers seat) once a month into a clear container to check for water volume, use a good Cetane booster (Ford or Diesel Kleen) EVERY fill-up, only fill the truck at high volume stations, and try not to idle the truck any more than absolutely necessary.It's not an over the road class 8 truck so there is no benefit to constant idling.:nono:

Good luck and glad to hear you are enjoying your truck.:clapping: Don't let the naysayers get you down. Most debbie downers just jump on the bandwagon and the rest are looking for a pity party.:cry:

jwsland
12-18-2010, 07:14 AM
This one could go on forever! lol. I love the 6.0! So much that after my first one was totalled after an accident I bought my current one used with 108k on it. Great engine if you delete/upgrade the weak spots. The first one was making 500hp and had a full egr delete including arp headstuds. Eric at innovative diesel helped me get everything under control. After the weak spots were fixed the truck never ceased to amaze me. 125k of drag racing, daily towing and abuse, it was too much fun to drive :) My current 6.0 isn't fast but I'm slowly working on the weak spots I'm at about 128k now with no problems. I stand by the 6.0!

Check out powerstroke.org

EverestLandscape
01-22-2011, 09:07 PM
I just replace my EGR valve twice a year and they say its supposed to help because it doesn't get all gummed up and it helps prevent bigger problems. I get them on ebay, a genuine motorcraft part, for $40 and it takes about 10 minutes to do. I have 86k on my 6.0 and I tow a landscape trailer 4-5 days a week. (i run the motor pretty hard) The oil coolers also go on the 6.0's....an oil bypass kit will prevent this from happening. The powerstroke runs and operates entirly off of the oil so the cleaner and less broken down it is, the better and longer it will run. I run Rotella 15w 40 in the spring summer and fall and Rotella 5w 40 synthetic in the winter.

YellowDogSVC
01-23-2011, 09:09 PM

what do you base this on? 05 wasn't exactly an early unit. '03, '04 would be early. '05 would be a middle with 06 and 07 finishing off the series correct? I have an '08, completely different motor and it has the stacked turbos. I don't think my '05 did.

EverestLandscape
01-24-2011, 01:12 PM
what jkilov is talking about is the 2008-2010 6.4 powerstrokes not the 6.0 so don't worry. The 6.4 has the compund turbos and every other problem he is talking about. I have friends with 2003 and 4's with tons of issues...they fixed alot of them in 2005. The biggest things you can do to help the 6.0 is an oil bypass kit, cols air intake, and an exhaust. Excessive heat and EGT's are the #1 killer of the 6.0.

wtxkid
01-24-2011, 11:03 PM
I like the guys with one truck that have under 100k and want to talk them up. With all do respect that is not really enough time to work that truck hard enough to see what the real problems are. I will say from experience with over ten of those trucks, all f350 cc 4x4 6.0 mostly 2006 a few others, that with the right money in them, they are a good motor. Why in the world should a guy have to put 5000 on the low end into a truck to get it to run right. That said, we have 5 of them left all 2006 that I bought brand new and they all have EGR delete with no problems currently. Just put inectors into two of them right at 130k which seems to be a magic prob area for these trucks. We have had only two of them that were good trucks at 150k with not that much money in them. not saying any of you guys couldnt have good trucks bc I grew up farming and we ran all ford. Best trucks for beating up I think but the 6.0 and 6.4s that weve had required a lot of money in them to be good trucks. If I had one or two in your shoes, put the egr delete, arp studs, black onyx head gaskets, etc. and you prob have a great truck. Keep oil changed more regular bc the injectors in these count on it. Just my two cents after a lot of problems. Best advice, go to nprs if you can.

wtxkid
01-24-2011, 11:06 PM
Oh yeah, heard this earlier and want to confirm it. Absolutely do not try to do anything with the gaskets and studs yourself. Ive changed injectors and they werent too bad. Lifting cab is not that big of a deal but there are guys out there that are damn good with 6.0 and there will need to be for ten more years to come.

DQL10
01-25-2011, 12:54 AM
If left stock, leave stock until warranty goes out. Once it goes out, remove the EGR and muffler. Check out www.powerstroke.org for more information on these motors. They can be better than the 7.3L but it does require some work.

TimNNJ
02-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Hey guys..I bought a used f 350 6.0 about a month ago..I gotta good number on my trade so I went for it...checked all the carfax out..have a few friends with the same truck..they told me what to look out for...
I found oil leaking a tad underneath and brought it to a shop by my house..he said to bring it to ford because they will have to take the cab off to replace the rear engine seal I believe he said...should I replace anything else while it's in there?..I heard about the head gaskets and erg stuff..but anything I can do I want to do to save on labor...Just wanted to get your guys opinion...and it is about to hit 116000....thanks for looking

EverestLandscape
02-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Yes TimNNJ, do what ever you can while its accesible. Do the head gaskets, head studs, egr delete kit, clean and lube the turbo, the up pipe, the oil cooler, and the high pressure oil pump (H-POP). Doing all of these things are obivously on how much you want to spend but while its out and easy to get to it may not be a bad idea. The 6.0 motor is one of the most remarkable engines built, however the early 03/04's were rushed to market to match/beat the newer Duramax, and navistar didn't test it thoughrouly. So if you do those things you will have a really stout engine. Now added to all this if you have and intake, exhaust and most important...an oil bypass kit. The entire 6.0 motor works and funtions off of the oil so the cleaner it is the better/longer it will run. The stock filter is 20microns and the bypass filter is 1micron. Sorry to go off there but i just kept writing:laugh: Hope this help you and ask if you have any other questions

TimNNJ
02-03-2011, 07:18 PM
no way keep on writing..thanks for the input..I have an appt. on Tues to drop the truck off..I will give them a list of things I would like prices on too..besides whatever has to be fixed..

weed wacker 2
02-03-2011, 07:39 PM
My rear main on my 06 f250 has leaked since day one. It has been replaced twice. I have learned to live with it because its not gushing oil.