PDA

View Full Version : favorite grassy weed control

klsgc
12-13-2010, 09:03 PM
Whats your favorite grassy weed control for cool season grasses. We mainly deal with sedge and crabgrass. In the past I have used q4 in a hand can with good sucess. This summer was very hot, hotter than normal. In talking to some guys in the area, it seems we have all burned the occasional lawn in spots by spot spraying with a backpack. I was using 3oz/gal, and I even cut that in half later in the summer, and calibrated. I was still noticing some burn getting only 1.5-2oz. of concentrate per k. This product has made me somewhat nervous because of the high salt content. I am thinking about trying solitaire next year. Does anyone have any experience with the safety of that? Does it settle out? I would like to leave it in the aux tank on my z overnight. Am I going to have to drain and clear the lines with water? Input please.

RigglePLC
12-13-2010, 10:14 PM
KLS,
Its 13 degrees at my house--no crab or nutsedge in sight.

cgaengineer
12-13-2010, 10:36 PM
KLS,
Its 13 degrees at my house--no crab or nutsedge in sight.

A little warmer here but still no grassy weeds...we have a few months yet.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
12-14-2010, 12:20 AM
i think we all know that, but he is doing research man, give some slack.

i use q4 so i cant help

cgaengineer
12-14-2010, 12:21 AM
I use MSMA, but will have to find another product when I use my supply. I also use Image for nutsedge.
Posted via Mobile Device

klsgc
12-14-2010, 01:17 PM
Hey grassman, do you spot out of a backpack with it, or run it out of your z. how many k/ gallon do you use it at? Do you get any burn?

grass4gas
12-14-2010, 05:48 PM
I use MSMA, but will have to find another product when I use my supply. I also use Image for nutsedge.
Posted via Mobile Device

I too used MSMA this year @ 1oz/k...no burn to speak of during the hot dry summer.

I was given some samples of the "old" Q4...IMO it "SUCKED". Guess that is why they came out with a new version.

Don't have any experience with Solitare, but a contractor friend of mine did use some this year and was not happy with it.

I used T Zone for the first time this year...seemed to work pretty good on the broadleaf weeds. It obliterated the nutgrass. The label says that it suppresses nutgrass so we'll what happens next year.

klsgc
12-14-2010, 06:13 PM
grass4gass, what made it suck? Not enough quinclorac for a good crab kill? Did you have some burning?

Landscape Poet
12-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Asulox is what I use on my lawn.

grass4gas
12-14-2010, 07:40 PM
grass4gass, what made it suck? Not enough quinclorac for a good crab kill? Did you have some burning?

Exactly. No burning, but was very slow to work. Broadleaf control was non existant.

cgaengineer
12-14-2010, 07:50 PM
I used MSMA for a blanket app...temps in 90's, a couple days later temps 100 and above. Since the heat and the MSMA slowed the growth of the bermuda the homeowner though the deck of her mower was set wrong, she dropped it down from previous week until it started cutting...the next week the entire lawn was brown. You could clearly see the mower marks where she started with the deck even lower. A fert app and some water and the lawn was back green in 2 weeks.
Posted via Mobile Device

byHISgrace
12-14-2010, 11:00 PM

Must be your private yard. You'd be a fool to post that on a public forum if you did this for a living. Nothing like a surprise visit from a state inspector.

Landscape Poet
12-14-2010, 11:05 PM
Must be your private yard. You'd be a fool to post that on a public forum if you did this for a living. Nothing like a surprise visit from a state inspector.

Yes - my own lawn - as I stated.

Florida Gardener
12-15-2010, 08:42 AM
Will asulox kill Bermuda?
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
12-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Will asulox kill Bermuda?
Posted via Mobile Device

Diamond

Asulox was taken off the Horticulture market over 10 years ago. The Florida Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control sent out Memorandums two years after Asulox was taken off the Horticulture side, stating left over horticulture labelled Asulox could no longer be used on horticulture turf. They back up that memorandum by making a few examples by pulling Certifications of those caught using Asulox.

BTW Asulox is still Labeled for Agriculture and Corn & Sugar Farmers are still buying it by the train car load.

Of course in your case to apply a Illegal product would be no big deal since you aren't Certified to apply on Turf Grass.

PS I am not going to answer your question about whether Asulox will kill Bermuda. The reason being I don't feel right training Illegals to steal business from those who paid their dues and are Legal. If I am wrong, PM me your name and JF License number so I can verify it.

Florida Gardener
12-15-2010, 09:52 AM
Well, of course you come on your high horse and assume I am applying anything illegally. You can't apply it either so there is no big secret as to wether it will kill Bermuda or not.
Posted via Mobile Device

Florida Gardener
12-15-2010, 09:54 AM
Also, why do you find the need to ALWAYS give your broken record speech about you not training illegals and people stealing business from you??
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
12-15-2010, 11:02 AM
Also, why do you find the need to ALWAYS give your broken record speech about you not training illegals and people stealing business from you??
Posted via Mobile Device

Diamond

Why are you always asking about Turf Pesticides when in fact you are not legally able to apply pesticides to Turf??????

Are You that scum that steals??? In some cultures they actually Cut Off the Right hand and Left Foot of a thief so they can't even use a crutch easily. If you apply illegally then you are Breaking not only State Law, But one of the oldest laws set down by man and his gods from every religion. Thou Shout not Steal.

Ric
12-15-2010, 11:06 AM

Micheal

Using Asulox on your own lawn is still illegal. It is not labelled for horticulture and Homeowner are just a responsable as CPO for following the label. You could be fined big time.

Landscape Poet
12-15-2010, 11:24 AM
Micheal

Using Asulox on your own lawn is still illegal. It is not labelled for horticulture and Homeowner are just a responsable as CPO for following the label. You could be fined big time.

Was not aware of that Ric - there is a place here that still sells it and did not state that. I was told it was the only effect thing to control crabgrass in my lawn, so I purchased it roughly two years ago. It does seem to do a good job on it - although it does take a couple weeks for it to really yellow out and die.

Are they able to sell it to home owners because their bottles still have residential lawns listed on the label? In that case following the rule the label is the law still applies corrrect? Not sure if they just have a old stash they have been selling and I have not looked at it since I purchased mine.

Diamond - I am not aware if it kills bermuda or not as I did have a little outbreak of bermuda in my lawn but I just sprayed it with RU prior to replacing the sod.

Florida Gardener
12-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Diamond

Why are you always asking about Turf Pesticides when in fact you are not legally able to apply pesticides to Turf??????

Are You that scum that steals??? In some cultures they actually Cut Off the Right hand and Left Foot of a thief so they can't even use a crutch easily. If you apply illegally then you are Breaking not only State Law, But one of the oldest laws set down by man and his gods from every religion. Thou Shout not Steal.
No Mr President, I am not scum. I asked a very simple question that either a yes no or somewhere in the middle response and I get your same tired lecture. I just wanted to know if it killed bermuda, that is all. If you don't want to answer, don't respond.
Posted via Mobile Device

abrightday
12-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Diamond

Asulox was taken off the Horticulture market over 10 years ago. The Florida Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control sent out Memorandums two years after Asulox was taken off the Horticulture side, stating left over horticulture labelled Asulox could no longer be used on horticulture turf. They back up that memorandum by making a few examples by pulling Certifications of those caught using Asulox.

BTW Asulox is still Labeled for Agriculture and Corn & Sugar Farmers are still buying it by the train car load.

Of course in your case to apply a Illegal product would be no big deal since you aren't Certified to apply on Turf Grass.

PS I am not going to answer your question about whether Asulox will kill Bermuda. The reason being I don't feel right training Illegals to steal business from those who paid their dues and are Legal. If I am wrong, PM me your name and JF License number so I can verify it.

I believe asulox is still able to be used on commercial properties for ornamental bed weed,grass controls,,and sod farms.:rolleyes:

Ric
12-15-2010, 12:54 PM
No Mr President, I am not scum. I asked a very simple question that either a yes no or somewhere in the middle response and I get your same tired lecture. I just wanted to know if it killed bermuda, that is all. If you don't want to answer, don't respond.
Posted via Mobile Device

Mr Criminal

You ask way too many questions about things that should not concern you as an unlicensed pesticide applicator. If you were a Licensed Applicator you would already know WHERE to to find the answer to your question.

Here are some famous Quotes by John Wayne. I am sure you will find one that fits you well.

http://thinkexist.com/quotes/john_wayne/

Florida Gardener
12-15-2010, 01:00 PM
Get a life or go work for the state bc it seems like you get a lot of fulfillment in life by trying to police everyone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
12-15-2010, 02:50 PM
I believe asulox is still able to be used on commercial properties for ornamental bed weed,grass controls,,and sod farms.:rolleyes:

Abrightday

I am posting a link to Statues and Rules of Florida that deal with Pesticides. Please note there are different rules for Horticultural Pesticides (Chapter 482) and Agriculture Pesticides (Chapter 487).

http://www.flaes.org/statutesandrules.html

Sod Farms and Golf Course fall under Chapter 487 or Agriculture and can use different pesticides than Horticulture.

My bad! I assumed I was posting to professionals who knew the differents between Agriculture and Horticulture.

Diamond

I am only protecting my certification that I worked hard for. It really burns my butt to think with your limited knowledge you can missapply and give the Tree Hugger more fuel to ban the Tools of my Legal and Certified profession. Therefore I have made a suggested to the people at this phone number 954 467 4631 that you have a wonderful attitude regarding our State Laws.

cgaengineer
12-15-2010, 03:14 PM
Diamond, there are cheaper, better and legal controls for crabgrass. If you hurry you can pickup a few gallons of MSMA before they stop selling it.
Posted via Mobile Device

fl-landscapes
12-15-2010, 03:24 PM
Diamond, there are cheaper, better and legal controls for crabgrass. If you hurry you can pickup a few gallons of MSMA before they stop selling it.
Posted via Mobile Device

hes in fl, mostly st augustine which would be fried! Not any msma on any lesco shelves here anymore.

klsgc
12-15-2010, 05:31 PM
anyone have any input in reguards to my questions? otherwise I think this thread is done.

cgaengineer
12-15-2010, 05:33 PM
hes in fl, mostly st augustine which would be fried! Not any msma on any lesco shelves here anymore.

That's right...no MSMA on SA...SA is tricky. I can still get 2.5 gallon jugs of MSMA here.
Posted via Mobile Device

fl-landscapes
12-15-2010, 06:58 PM
I too used MSMA this year @ 1oz/k...no burn to speak of during the hot dry summer.

I was given some samples of the "old" Q4...IMO it "SUCKED". Guess that is why they came out with a new version.

Don't have any experience with Solitare, but a contractor friend of mine did use some this year and was not happy with it.

I used T Zone for the first time this year...seemed to work pretty good on the broadleaf weeds. It obliterated the nutgrass. The label says that it suppresses nutgrass so we'll what happens next year.

isnt this your answer?

byHISgrace
12-15-2010, 07:27 PM
That's right...no MSMA on SA...SA is tricky. I can still get 2.5 gallon jugs of MSMA here.
Posted via Mobile Device

Better read those labels carefully! The MSMA for use on residential turf stopped being sold Dec. 31, 2009. The stuff you can buy now is labeled for use on roadsides, golf courses and other non-residential properties.

I support RIC in his attitudes towards those doing pest control work illegally. We as licensed operators are held to certain standards that protect the environment. I feel that Dursban was taken off the market due to illegal operators and the big-box stores selling to homeowners who won't read the labels and mis-apply perfectly safe and effective pesticides.

I have licenses in FL and TN, one thing I love about TN is that we have to have our charter(license) numbers on every truck and trailer. Really makes it easy for the state inspectors to recognize those that shouldn't be doing pest control. It use to really tick me off when I would get audited by the state inspector every other year and then I would see the illegal operators running around doing who knows what and not being held accountable for what they were doing.

Matt

grass4gas
12-15-2010, 10:23 PM
isnt this your answer?

I don't know if it will be a "complete" kill including the nutlets or not. The areas that I did with this product were heavily infested. So next year, I hope I will see a big difference in the amount that sprouts...time will tell.

grass4gas
12-15-2010, 10:28 PM
Better read those labels carefully! The MSMA for use on residential turf stopped being sold Dec. 31, 2009. The stuff you can buy now is labeled for use on roadsides, golf courses and other non-residential properties.

I was told by my rep from Agrium that you can still by MSMA through the end of 2010. If you have any of the old product that is labeled for residential turf, you can continue to use it until it is gone.

I bought 15 gallons this past spring.

cgaengineer
12-15-2010, 10:45 PM
I was told by my rep from Agrium that you can still by MSMA through the end of 2010. If you have any of the old product that is labeled for residential turf, you can continue to use it until it is gone.

I bought 15 gallons this past spring.

This is correct.
Posted via Mobile Device

abrightday
12-16-2010, 09:04 AM
Abrightday

I am posting a link to Statues and Rules of Florida that deal with Pesticides. Please note there are different rules for Horticultural Pesticides (Chapter 482) and Agriculture Pesticides (Chapter 487).

http://www.flaes.org/statutesandrules.html

Sod Farms and Golf Course fall under Chapter 487 or Agriculture and can use different pesticides than Horticulture.

My bad! I assumed I was posting to professionals who knew the differents between Agriculture and Horticulture.

Diamond

I am only protecting my certification that I worked hard for. It really burns my butt to think with your limited knowledge you can missapply and give the Tree Hugger more fuel to ban the Tools of my Legal and Certified profession. Therefore I have made a suggested to the people at this phone number 954 467 4631 that you have a wonderful attitude regarding our State Laws.

What's the differents??? Hey Ric, commercial ornamental bed weed control is not agriculture,,anyway, you have a nice bright day anyway,, I sure don't want to get on your bad side,,,I agree with you,,if your not licensed you have no business applying pesticides of any form. :nono:

Ric
12-16-2010, 09:58 AM

I support RIC in his attitudes towards those doing pest control work illegally. We as licensed operators are held to certain standards that protect the environment. I feel that Dursban was taken off the market due to illegal operators and the big-box stores selling to homeowners who won't read the labels and mis-apply perfectly safe and effective pesticides.

I have licenses in FL and TN, one thing I love about TN is that we have to have our charter(license) numbers on every truck and trailer. Really makes it easy for the state inspectors to recognize those that shouldn't be doing pest control. It use to really tick me off when I would get audited by the state inspector every other year and then I would see the illegal operators running around doing who knows what and not being held accountable for what they were doing.

Matt

Matt

I thank you for the support you have shown. I fully expected to be chastised for dropping a dime. But as everyone can read it was series of post over a period of time that finally made me so mad I snapped and dropped a Dime. This is something I normally would not do.

You also touch upon the Dual Standard here in Florida that others have brought up. We as CPO are held to one standard while illegals are held to a different and much harder burden of proof. Other Certification such as roofer and builders etc have a better or stronger enforcement of illegals.

CAN"T BEAT THEM? THEN JOINT THEM.

I have studied Florida Law Chapters 482 and 5E-14 as well as Chapter 487 because I am licensed under all those statues. By studying the statues I have learned not only what I can do legally, But also the LOOP HOLES of what can be done EXTRALEGAL. Therefore I will start a thread to find out if anyone is interested in a SEMINAR ON HOW TO BEAT THE FLORIDA PESTICIDE STATUES. Bureaucratic system moves so slow that I will die of old age before those loop holes can be closed. My 1st amendment rights will keep me legal of course. I will only tell people how to beat the system.

Ric
12-16-2010, 10:06 AM
What's the differents??? Hey Ric, commercial ornamental bed weed control is not agriculture,,anyway, you have a nice bright day anyway,, I sure don't want to get on your bad side,,,I agree with you,,if your not licensed you have no business applying pesticides of any form. :nono:

Abrightday

I had not read a Asulox label in a while so I took the time and read it. IMHO I believe the term Commercial Ornamental Beds refers to nursery growers and not a Commercial building in the center of town. I recently had an inspection by the BEPC and I have a jug of Asulox in my chemical room. Had I not had Chapter 487 Agriculture Licensing also I might of been in big trouble.

Florida Gardener
12-16-2010, 10:14 AM
Not doing anything illegal here. I have my limited license and that is all I do, limited stuff. I will show the state inspector next week my license, backpack sprayer(which is all I have), and my invoices from the past 3 years that I haven't been doing anything illegal. I have made posts here asking questions regarding stuff I SHOULDN'T be doing, but I don't do them. I ask a simple question and someone calls the state on me. No problem, again, I have nothing to hide here.

Landscape Poet
12-16-2010, 11:50 AM
I have studied Florida Law Chapters 482 and 5E-14 as well as Chapter 487 because I am licensed under all those statues. By studying the statues I have learned not only what I can do legally, But also the LOOP HOLES of what can be done EXTRALEGAL. Therefore I will start a thread to find out if anyone is interested in a SEMINAR ON HOW TO BEAT THE FLORIDA PESTICIDE STATUES. Bureaucratic system moves so slow that I will die of old age before those loop holes can be closed. My 1st amendment rights will keep me legal of course. I will only tell people how to beat the system.

Ric,

Why would you do this? Although I do not always agree with your approach towards people, I do agree with the ideas that you are supporting when you do get onto them. If someone has went through the process of getting a license, they should be able to get compensated for it. Yet after all these years of jumping down peoples throats here on LS you are going to now think about showing the same type of people you have been getting on to - how to get around the very subject that gets you so worked up? You are a very confusing person to understand.:dizzy::dizzy:

Florida Gardener
12-16-2010, 12:32 PM
It's called a hypocrite michael
Posted via Mobile Device

Ric
12-16-2010, 12:40 PM
Ric,

Why would you do this? Although I do not always agree with your approach towards people, I do agree with the ideas that you are supporting when you do get onto them. If someone has went through the process of getting a license, they should be able to get compensated for it. Yet after all these years of jumping down peoples throats here on LS you are going to now think about showing the same type of people you have been getting on to - how to get around the very subject that gets you so worked up? You are a very confusing person to understand.:dizzy::dizzy:

Micheal

There is a Guy in my county who has a Termite, Structural, and L&O Commercial Pesticide License for almost two years now because of Loops Holes in the law. He can continue this forever under the present laws. He has been a spray tech for about 8 years now, but never passed the first test of which he has taken several times. He lowballs a Bait & Switch organic service and the State can't touch him. Just South of me is a Rent-A-License company that you could buy into for $ 2,500 and a big piece of your action. BTW Your competitor can buy in right next to you also. So no set territory. The Dade/Broward area is known both as Little Havana and the Home of Rent-a-license. Go to FLAES.ORG and read the Disciplinary reports or fines for Rent-a-license and realize they are not catching 1/100 of the illegals. The Pesticide Law has no teeth. IF I CAN'T BEAT THEM, WHY NOT JOIN THEM.

$ 1,000 Cash gets you a one day of private lessons on Loop Holes in Florida Pesticide Law. I guarantee with in 60 days after taking the one day lesson you could qualify for a Pesticide Certification and be legally applying pesticides. Apply by PM with your E mail and Phone Number. Tutition is per person and can not be split between two people on the same day.

Method to my madness??? Well if I make enough waves the State will be forced to change the law and put Teeth in it. Of course the Bureaucratic system moves so slow that I might not see those changes in my life time given my age. But I might just make a differences and leave a mark on this earth that says I was here. A Negative approach to make a postive impact.

Landscape Poet
12-16-2010, 01:10 PM
Micheal

There is a Guy in my county who has a Termite, Structural, and L&O Commercial Pesticide License for almost two years now because of Loops Holes in the law. He can continue this forever under the present laws. He has been a spray tech for about 8 years now, but never passed the first test of which he has taken several times. He lowballs a Bait & Switch organic service and the State can't touch him. Just South of me is a Rent-A-License company that you could buy into for $ 2,500 and a big piece of your action. BTW Your competitor can buy in right next to you also. So no set territory. The Dade/Broward area is known both as Little Havana and the Home of Rent-a-license. Go to FLAES.ORG and read the Disciplinary reports or fines for Rent-a-license and realize they are not catching 1/100 of the illegals. The Pesticide Law has no teeth. IF I CAN'T BEAT THEM, WHY NOT JOIN THEM.

$ 1,000 Cash gets you a one day of private lessons on Loop Holes in Florida Pesticide Law. I guarantee with in 60 days after taking the one day lesson you could qualify for a Pesticide Certification and be legally applying pesticides. Apply by PM with your E mail and Phone Number. Tutition is per person and can not be split between two people on the same day.

Method to my madness??? Well if I make enough waves the State will be forced to change the law and put Teeth in it. Of course the Bureaucratic system moves so slow that I might not see those changes in my life time given my age. But I might just make a differences and leave a mark on this earth that says I was here. A Negative approach to make a postive impact.

Wow - did not know it was such a problem down in your area Ric. The illegals that I speak of are local lawn guys who are applying product to folks lawns. I have never seen a person who is actually passing themselves off as a Pest Control Company in a truck or using that as their main source of income, that is just wild.
As far as the "illegals" here - the customer gets what they pay for. I have had people not sign up for my maint. service because I would not apply for them. They went with another company who apparently would. This year with the resistance to Bifen , it is needless to say that many of these same people lost at least decent size sections of their lawns.
I have gained over 5 decent accounts because of this type of operations - and even after these people have lost their lawn and are paying me to replace it, they still struggle with me not applying and struggle even more with the price they are going to have to pay with the PCO that I recommend on lawns. People are simply amazing sometimes.
Then there a the legal companies like true green....I have watched them lose sections of some of my clients lawns this year - at least 7 that I can think of for sure.....and these people do not fire them because they are cheaper than the others......at what cost is what I always ask.....sometimes it gets the gears of change in motion...but most of the time it just continues.

I hope you do accomplish what you want by doing this Ric - but with the amount of accounts I provide maint. for I do not see how I could find the time to provide a quality service to clients even if I was interested. I will continue to take my extension courses and learning as much as I can, and will one day get a license so I can provide this service.
Also Ric - can you give me some more information on the online turf grass class you suggested though University of Georgia? With our current freezes here I have a feeling that I am going to have some extra time on my hands. You said it was roughly $400 which seems more than fair if it is a informative class.
Is this (http://www.georgiacenter.uga.edu/ppd/courses/turfgrass-management/principles-turfgrass-management)the class?

What do you know about his one?
http://www.earnmydegree.com/online-education/online-degrees/the-university-of-georgia/sports-turf-and-lawn-management-52.html

To those that choose to take advantage of Ric's offer...hope you know what you are doing...because you could potentially mess up our aquifers, do harm to our wildlife and to us, and of course I am sure you will find it to offer your services in manner which provides quality for your clients, while being competitive with others. S

fl-landscapes
12-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Wow - did not know it was such a problem down in your area Ric. The illegals that I speak of are local lawn guys who are applying product to folks lawns. I have never seen a person who is actually passing themselves off as a Pest Control Company in a truck or using that as their main source of income, that is just wild.
As far as the "illegals" here - the customer gets what they pay for. I have had people not sign up for my maint. service because I would not apply for them. They went with another company who apparently would. This year with the resistance to Bifen , it is needless to say that many of these same people lost at least decent size sections of their lawns.
I have gained over 5 decent accounts because of this type of operations - and even after these people have lost their lawn and are paying me to replace it, they still struggle with me not applying and struggle even more with the price they are going to have to pay with the PCO that I recommend on lawns. People are simply amazing sometimes.
Then there a the legal companies like true green....I have watched them lose sections of some of my clients lawns this year - at least 7 that I can think of for sure.....and these people do not fire them because they are cheaper than the others......at what cost is what I always ask.....sometimes it gets the gears of change in motion...but most of the time it just continues.

I hope you do accomplish what you want by doing this Ric - but with the amount of accounts I provide maint. for I do not see how I could find the time to provide a quality service to clients even if I was interested. I will continue to take my extension courses and learning as much as I can, and will one day get a license so I can provide this service.
Also Ric - can you give me some more information on the online turf grass class you suggested though University of Georgia? With our current freezes here I have a feeling that I am going to have some extra time on my hands. You said it was roughly $400 which seems more than fair if it is a informative class.
Is this (http://www.georgiacenter.uga.edu/ppd/courses/turfgrass-management/principles-turfgrass-management)the class?

What do you know about his one?
http://www.earnmydegree.com/online-education/online-degrees/the-university-of-georgia/sports-turf-and-lawn-management-52.html

To those that choose to take advantage of Ric's offer...hope you know what you are doing...because you could potentially mess up our aquifers, do harm to our wildlife and to us, and of course I am sure you will find it to offer your services in manner which provides quality for your clients, while being competitive with others. S

yup, thats the class. its very informative and a lot work

Landscape Poet
12-16-2010, 02:09 PM
yup, thats the class. its very informative and a lot work

Cool thanks FL - do you know about the other one I listed? It appears that University of GA offers at least 4 courses in Turf.

LINK (http://www.uniguru.com/studyabroad/all/us-usa/university-studies/us-usa/university-georgia-independent-distance-learning/gardening-courses/d/144553/211/se.2/s/1/programs.html)

Think I will try the one you mentioned first and if I find it useful move on to the others. I need something like these programs that allow you to work at your own pace, and from what I have read these allow you twelve months to complete the course with a extension for a very reasonable fee also.

Have you guys did any of the rest? Anyone?

fl-landscapes
12-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Cool thanks FL - do you know about the other one I listed? It appears that University of GA offers at least 4 courses in Turf.

LINK (http://www.uniguru.com/studyabroad/all/us-usa/university-studies/us-usa/university-georgia-independent-distance-learning/gardening-courses/d/144553/211/se.2/s/1/programs.html)

Think I will try the one you mentioned first and if I find it useful move on to the others. I need something like these programs that allow you to work at your own pace, and from what I have read these allow you twelve months to complete the course with a extension for a very reasonable fee also.

Have you guys did any of the rest? Anyone?

Im sure they are all very informative. I would start with the one your looking at. It starts slow for someone with any experience but gets very involved, very specific and loads of info, tons of self tests. I read each section took the test and read again re-test and repeat until I ace each one. I (and likely you) could probably get a passing grade without doing the heavy studying, but I want to know as much as possible about the field I am in. This is just one of many things I use to educate myself, many many books on my shelf that I have read and skim through from time to time. If you want a really great read try "handbook of integrated pest management for turf and ornamentals" by Anne R Leslie its is not landscape for dummies and a fairly complex read, but it is an awesome resource.

Landscape Poet
12-16-2010, 02:31 PM
Im sure they are all very informative. I would start with the one your looking at. It starts slow for someone with any experience but gets very involved, very specific and loads of info, tons of self tests. I read each section took the test and read again re-test and repeat until I ace each one. I (and likely you) could probably get a passing grade without doing the heavy studying, but I want to know as much as possible about the field I am in. This is just one of many things I use to educate myself, many many books on my shelf that I have read and skim through from time to time. If you want a really great read try "handbook of integrated pest management for turf and ornamentals" by Anne R Leslie its is not landscape for dummies and a fairly complex read, but it is an awesome resource.

Cool, thanks, I am filling out the registration forms now for the course. You said you are taking the test over and over? Is there a extra charge for that or are you allow to retest as many times as you want? I thought it stated something about a retesting fee but maybe that was just the extension fee if needed?

Landscape Poet
12-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Done - just received my confirmation email. Thanks for the input FL

fl-landscapes
12-16-2010, 02:40 PM
Cool, thanks, I am filling out the registration forms now for the course. You said you are taking the test over and over? Is there a extra charge for that or are you allow to retest as many times as you want? I thought it stated something about a retesting fee but maybe that was just the extension fee if needed?

no, I assure you I would pass the real test even if I didnt study the guide. I am talking about the self tests with the course. I read a section then took the test at the end of each section, re read and re took the test, and repeated until I aced each section. They are practice tests. Im anal about not just getting a certificate but learning and retaining as much as possible.

fl-landscapes
12-16-2010, 02:41 PM
Done - just received my confirmation email. Thanks for the input FL

no problem. I would highly recommend while your in the swing of things to get on amazon and by the book I mentioned

Landscape Poet
12-16-2010, 02:45 PM
no problem. I would highly recommend while your in the swing of things to get on amazon and by the book I mentioned

Will do - thanks again

Landscape Poet
12-16-2010, 02:48 PM
Im anal about not just getting a certificate but learning and retaining as much as possible.

We have that in common for sure then, I go to the same extension courses over and over just because it seems like I can always pick up something new. Excited about this - it is going to be a long winter here and this will keep me going. When I called they said everything is delivered to your door? No internet is needed...should be interesting ...not what I thought a modern day distance education course would be.

Ric
12-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Yo

I am going to stick my $.02 in here and say KUDOS to both of you. You might want to exchange contact information so you can bound questions off of each other. I am willing to help in any way I can because it will bring up subjects I have not studied in a long time. I am not promising quick answers because you might catch me with something I have never heard of. But I will try and Help if I can.

I was in my mid 50's when I started back college. I was in my 60's by the time I got my degree. So if I can do it, you youngsters can do it. Remember you only get out of it, what you put into it. So go for knowledge and not the grade.

BTW I am serious about Giving Pesticide law Loop Hole training. The more I think about it the better I feel about using a negative to cause a positive reaction. This information can be very profitable to the right person with the desire big enough to do it.

gregory
12-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Ric you should do that. i will get mine next year.....

abrightday
12-16-2010, 07:58 PM
All of this stuff about getting around the laws,,,Good luck with that,,I'll come see you all in jail,,I get the state notices of all the fines handed out,,and I have known of people who have been put in prison for going against the law. There maybe many getting away with it,,but there are those being caught. If I know of of someone doing pest control without a license,,well the state gets a call,,so good luck with all that crap. Anyone who thinks they can get away with it,,maybe,,maybe not,,,

Ric
12-17-2010, 02:16 AM
All of this stuff about getting around the laws,,,Good luck with that,,I'll come see you all in jail,,I get the state notices of all the fines handed out,,and I have known of people who have been put in prison for going against the law. There maybe many getting away with it,,but there are those being caught. If I know of of someone doing pest control without a license,,well the state gets a call,,so good luck with all that crap. Anyone who thinks they can get away with it,,maybe,,maybe not,,,

Abrightday

In a Perfect World, you are 100% correct. Man is created Equal. But some Men are more Equal than others. I am afraid you are very Naive to think our Laws are written fairly or that loop hole don't exist. Look at the taxes paid by very rich and big corporation compared to the average little guy. Please read the following link, I am not the only one posting how poor our state pesticide enforcement is.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3824469&postcount=19

It would Blow your mind how quick I could get a Full Book Commercial Pesticide License for Joe Blow fresh out of the Ghetto with no experience. How long they keep that license would depend on doing good work and not having any complaints. Like I said in an above post there is a Guy in my area who has been licensed just over a Year & Half and he hasn't had a CPO working for his company. He is a low life Bait & switch Low Baller and as much as he bugs the devil out of me the State can't do a thing because he is working one of many Loop Holes. If enough people work those Loop Holes the State will have to change the statues and close those Loop Holes.

Ric
12-17-2010, 02:21 AM
Ric you should do that. i will get mine next year.....

Karl

As a Homeowner you only want to be able to purchase RUP product legally and use them on your own yard. I already told you how easy that is.

gregory
12-17-2010, 04:31 PM
yes you have and i have been contact with the local guy and have to do two things are they both are very easy to do.........and should not be a problem.....but if it wasnt for you pointing it out i would've never known........tks

abrightday
12-17-2010, 07:48 PM
And your proud of that,,well buddy you just went down a notch in my opinion,,but then that's just my opinion,,

Ric
12-17-2010, 08:43 PM
And your proud of that,,well buddy you just went down a notch in my opinion,,but then that's just my opinion,,

Abrightday

Hey I am cool.

The reason I am cool is because I really don't care want you or anyone thinks. I live up to my expectation, Not Yours.

gregory
12-17-2010, 10:06 PM

you referring to what ric has done for me ? you dont know me and have no idea what i know or can and cant do. i see licensed guys here all the time ask questions i know and i see the same guys that have no idea of what there doing but thats makes what they do ok bc they got a license and i dont soo that must mean i dont know what i am doing......

abrightday
12-18-2010, 02:26 PM
I'm referring to circumventing the law. If you have the proper licensing or not. If you don't you should not be treating another person's lawn for money. It takes a lot of time and money to set up a legal pest control business, those who try and go around the laws should be turned in. That's what I'm saying. Also those who help others circumvent the law, also should be turned in, fined, jailed whatever is needed.

Ric
12-18-2010, 06:12 PM
I'm referring to circumventing the law. If you have the proper licensing or not. If you don't you should not be treating another person's lawn for money. It takes a lot of time and money to set up a legal pest control business, those who try and go around the laws should be turned in. That's what I'm saying. Also those who help others circumvent the law, also should be turned in, fined, jailed whatever is needed.

A dark night

1st amendment of the bill of rights is freedom of speech. If our Lawyers and politicians can use loops holes then why not me???? But you must not be very Bright since you are totally missing my point about Loop Holes.

gregory
12-18-2010, 06:24 PM
ric has done nothing illegal all he did was show me how i could get a license to buy products that are rup. the only turf i treat is mine. but there are some products i can not buy b/c i dont have a license. i will say i know ric pretty well if he didnt think highly of me he would have not pointed out what he did for me to be able to buy rup products.....

Ric
12-18-2010, 08:09 PM
ric has done nothing illegal all he did was show me how i could get a license to buy products that are rup. the only turf i treat is mine. but there are some products i can not buy b/c i dont have a license. i will say i know ric pretty well if he didnt think highly of me he would have not pointed out what he did for me to be able to buy rup products.....

A dark night

HELLO!!! Gregory is a homeowner who not only is a active member of what is suppose to be a ""Professional"" Forum. He has used the search feature to read a ton of older posts and now answers question for those who claim to be certified. He even purchased a a Z Sprayer Jr just to do his own property. I have been to home and his yard is Beautiful. I have no problems teaching Gregory loop Holes in the Law.

abrightday
12-19-2010, 08:19 PM
A dark night

1st amendment of the bill of rights is freedom of speech. If our Lawyers and politicians can use loops holes then why not me???? But you must not be very Bright since you are totally missing my point about Loop Holes.

You have your opinion,,I have mine,,,I haven't missed your point on loop holes,,sshheeesss you guys just go and jump in your loop holes,, whatever,, so now it's ok to yell fire in a burning building...go ahead become just like them! dark night indeed,,

abrightday
12-19-2010, 08:23 PM

As for this guy,, i said if your making money on un- licensed treatments,, HELLO Boy what a couple of bean heads,,go jump in your loopholes,,nooses are loop holes,,,NA NA NA,,,BLAH,,BLah blah,, I'm so outa here,,,:walking:

BShaffer
12-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Loopholes?!?! Doesnt matter where you are each state has its own. Here you are supposed to have a Landscape contractors license to buy wholesale plant material. They don't enforce it so every joe blow can get the same pricing as a trained licensed professional and then will can install for nothing, joe blow is not worried about paying insurance, etc. In this case spray or fert for cheaper. You can either fight them or joy them, thats the daily question we are all faced with in business. Ag label products have become the rage here. Last year I was approached about using an ag label Monument. Identical chemistry, except price per acre was $15 instead of $65. What do you do? Fight em or Join em? Tough decision.

Landscape Poet
12-23-2010, 10:46 AM

Just got my course materials from U.P.S late last night.....I am fighting the flu currently so I did not review to much. The one thing I did start in on before passing out for the night was the introduction FL. It states that when your take the monitored test - you just go to a local college. Did you have any trouble with that? I am assuming that since UCF is just 10 minutes away from me that they will offer such a program. Any idea on the cost?

Thanks,

Michael

Ric
12-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Just got my course materials from U.P.S late last night.....I am fighting the flu currently so I did not review to much. The one thing I did start in on before passing out for the night was the introduction FL. It states that when your take the monitored test - you just go to a local college. Did you have any trouble with that? I am assuming that since UCF is just 10 minutes away from me that they will offer such a program. Any idea on the cost?

Thanks,

Michael

Micheal

The good news is this course will not only help you be more professional, But if you ever qualify to take the CPO test is will help you pass.

The Bad News is it is only 3 Credit hours of the 20 credit hours of Hort needed with a degree to qualify to sit for the CPO test with only one year working under a CPO.

Landscape Poet
12-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Micheal

The good news is this course will not only help you be more professional, But if you ever qualify to take the CPO test is will help you pass.

The Bad News is it is only 3 Credit hours of the 20 credit hours of Hort needed with a degree to qualify to sit for the CPO test with only one year working under a CPO.

Correct,

However this is only 1 of four courses that they offer - they offer four that I know of so far in the distance learning program, they offer a advanced program of this as well as a principles of sports turfgrass and a advanced class of each too. It at lest gets me that much closer and combine it with the other four and I am well on my way.

That however is not my goal with it: My goal is to know even more than most of the guys that are our here doing what I do. I have found that my knowledge I have now allows me a competitive advantage already with many (simple things like knowing to scout for cinch bugs, the different types of fungus etc), so furthering it will only continue to allow me this competitive advantage. And of course upon completion this will go out a announcement of this will go in the old monthly newsletter to make sure they are aware.

When the time comes - I will most likely serve my time working for another under the company that I refer now - but I will have to see what the owner says about the non-compete, since I mow the owners lawn and use him for a source of info, I got a feeling something can be worked out, but that will come when the time is correct for me and my company. From what I have gotten so far - there are a lot of cost to prepare for to enter that market.

fl-landscapes
12-27-2010, 08:51 PM

Thanks,

Michael

call ucf and ask if they offer monitoring services, Im sure they do. Sorry for getting back so late I was away for christmas. Cost varies but they are pretty cheap, $60??