PDA

View Full Version : Need help 3000 Ford Tractor

webdrifter
08-26-2002, 11:25 PM
I've been looking for a good deal on a used tractor for months now, and thought i had finally found one, but now i'm not so sure. The tractor is a 1973 3000 Ford with a gas engine. The first problem is that it doesn't have any power when placed under a load. It will sit and idle just great and throttle up good, but when you hook a finishing mower to it or just simply go up a slight hill the tractor will bog down a lot, it will barley pull a finish mower on level ground in low 3 . Could new plugs be the answer or does this sound like a bigger problem ? My second question is about the steering. When i turn the wheels to the right or left the tractor just keeps going straight while plowing up my yard with the front tires. This is at all speeds including low 1 , and is much worse when trying to turn up hill. The wheels have weights on them so i feel the front end is plenty heavy besides like i said it plows up the yard a lot. Could I possibly have bad bearings in my front wheels ? Any help will be greatly appreciated..

parkmaster
08-27-2002, 11:18 AM
not a mechanic but used them at work.
you may want to check the cylinder comperssion.
also check the governer control
ag tires have a center rib that will tear up ground when turning
turf tires have diamond shape tread.
sounds like you have posi traction when locked will keep you
going straight making it hard to turn. usually a small pedal near
right rear axel.
if things don't work out take it to a Ford / New Holland dealer
and have them check it over for you.

webdrifter
08-27-2002, 10:53 PM
I've already found one of my turning problems. The front wheels had weights bolted to the insides of them around 100lbs on each wheel. It seems to turn better now that i've taken them off. I'll check the pos traction thing next.

Planter
08-27-2002, 11:09 PM
I need a bit more information. When you say it bogs down, are you saying that the engine idle slows and the engine bogs down or are you saying that the engine stays a speed and seems to run fine under load, but that the tractor loses power? I had a similar problem, the engine ran fine but under load I had not power to the wheels. It was the clutch and hydrostat transmission on mine.

webdrifter
08-27-2002, 11:27 PM
I can have the motor at full throttle and as I start up a hill in lets say 3rd gear low range the motor will start to slow down to the point that it almost dies. I clutch and go to low 1st and it's ok, but i'm then going at a snails pace :confused: . I'm going to get some new plugs and wires this weekend to see if it helps with the problem. I've got to get the brakes fixed also... It has no brakes at all... I just gave $3500 for the tractor so I expected a few problems. I'm just hoping the problems won't be big :D

Planter
08-28-2002, 01:54 AM
Sounds to me like a trip to the mechanic is in order. With a gas engine and those kind of problems is doesn't sound like a major problem, being as how the engine runs great with no load.

A good mechanic will likely have a solution. I can't help you, but at least it isn't the tranny or clutch which requires splitting the tractor ($$$$$).

parkmaster
08-30-2002, 12:01 AM
webdrifter

check the governer control sounds like it not kicking like it shoud
under a load

bb tractor
10-17-2002, 12:57 PM
shut off the motor disconect the linkage from governer to
carb place throttle in wide open position hold throtlle shaft in
carb in wide open position adjust the rod til it is a slip fit
reconect and try it under a load if it is not just right chage
adjustment 1/2 turn at a time both ways until it is right