PDA

View Full Version : Strapped for cash in the winter

hairbearxx
12-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Here it is winter time and I'm needing to make money from here until the spraying season starts again in late February (hopefully late February). Does anybody have any suggestions on making cash in the winter? How do you save up for the winter time, and is there a way to collect unemployment if I am the sole owner?

Landscape Poet
12-14-2010, 05:30 PM
Here it is winter time and I'm needing to make money from here until the spraying season starts again in late February (hopefully late February). Does anybody have any suggestions on making cash in the winter? How do you save up for the winter time, and is there a way to collect unemployment if I am the sole owner?

Not sure about IN but I doubt that you can collect unemployment if you are self employed.

There are ways to make money in the winter up there or going into it, is there a reason that you are not plowing? How about Christmas light installs? Leaf clean ups etc. Did you not do any of these?

sjessen
12-14-2010, 07:21 PM

Consider taking a part time or full time job during the winter to tide you over until spring.

FLAhaulboy
12-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Go post a free ad on Craigs List under the Services section-"Labor/Move" & post a hauling away debris ad or a ad in the "wanted" section offering to pick up scrape metal for free. Scrape prices are at an all time high again. You can make good $ hauling away people's debris...yard debris, appliances, lumber, etc. I resell a lot of items I haul away, on Craigs. Plus, I give them my landscaping biz card & get quite a few bush trimming jobs later on.

walker-talker
12-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Sure you can collect unemployment insurance, as long as you paid in on yourself....kinda self defeating though.

UPS usually hires seasonal help and pays well. Loading trucks and also tagging along with drivers to help speed deliveries.

LB1234
12-14-2010, 10:10 PM
How do you save up for the winter time?

Is this a trick question?:dizzy:

You need to bill for your time in your season to cover your off season expenses.

walker-talker
12-14-2010, 10:56 PM
must create a budget and then stick to it

Jerry and Sons
12-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Sell your body!:drinkup:

JB1
12-15-2010, 02:44 PM
Go deliver pizza's.

domain311
12-15-2010, 02:54 PM
We do contracts early on with a 15% deposit. Not really for the winter, but has helped substantially for when we start back up again with payroll, etc...best thing I ever did. We send those out in January. The contracts are not binding where the customer would have to keep our services for an entire year or even a month. It clearly states they can discontinue services at any time if dissatisfied. Its more of an overall agreement of what both parties expect of each other and for us to collect a deposit so we can start the work.

If out of money now with only just recently stopping, sounds like may be a good idea to better budget the income. When does your season end or when did you work up until?

hairbearxx
12-15-2010, 02:58 PM
I've thought about doing Christmas light installs, as well as leaf removal. Have you done this type of winter work? How do you charge for it? Does it hold you over until March, when your lawn work usually starts?

hairbearxx
12-15-2010, 03:04 PM
Domain 311, I stopped my fertilizations about 2 weeks ago. I thought I had a winter job, but it fell through. Not much to do from now til about March, here in central Indiana. I do send out prepay letters, and I do make a good little bit on that, but I like to spend that money on taxes and fertilizer for the year. Are there any hints on how to budget money through the year for the winter?

sjessen
12-15-2010, 03:13 PM
Domain 311, I stopped my fertilizations about 2 weeks ago. I thought I had a winter job, but it fell through. Not much to do from now til about March, here in central Indiana. I do send out prepay letters, and I do make a good little bit on that, but I like to spend that money on taxes and fertilizer for the year. Are there any hints on how to budget money through the year for the winter?

Here are a few thoughts.

1. Put your self on a monthly budget for personal expenses rather than spending what is left in the business account at the end of the month.
2. Build up a cash reserve large enough to cover personal and business expenses during the off season.
3. Track sales/expenses/profits through the year to see if your numbers are on track.

Roger
12-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Most software financial management programs (e.g. QuickBooks, Quicken) provide the budget function. You ask "how to budget." Use the program you are using for your business, or get something simpler, to develop the budget. The program will tell you what your cash reserves are at any time through the year, including Winter.

It sounds like you've been in business for a few years. Therefore, you should know pretty well the income stream, as well as the expenses. With that information, you should know how much personal income will flow from the business.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-19-2010, 11:48 AM
Consider taking a part time or full time job during the winter to tide you over until spring.

Thats what I do, part time job until next April:)
No plowing for me...what a nightmare.

hairbearxx
12-19-2010, 02:10 PM
DA Quality Lawn, I'm trying right now to find a part time job. I'm looking through the want ads and going to employment agencies. Nothing yet. Where do you go to get a part time job?

topsites
12-19-2010, 02:26 PM

Yeah, you got to spend less than you bring in, and not to be a wise guy but
it's called saving your money which falls under living below your means, all of
that unfortunately is what they mean when they speak of budgets...

If it makes you feel any better I had to learn that one, too,
I cried the poor man winter blues for my first how many years
until one day I had it down.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-20-2010, 12:32 AM
DA Quality Lawn, I'm trying right now to find a part time job. I'm looking through the want ads and going to employment agencies. Nothing yet. Where do you go to get a part time job?

I work for my local small town grocery store in the product dept, just a couple times a week for a little startup income for next season and to keep from going nuts sitting at home staring outside in the cold and snow.

Helps that I also mow and app the store's lawn in the green season. Yes, there is a reason I work for them....a little W2 income now equals more 1099 income later.

CircleC
12-21-2010, 12:11 PM
If your spraying, why are you not spraying Dormant Oil. You just stopped doing ferts 2 weeks ago...keep it rolling with D.O's. You can spray anytime as long as the air temp isnt below freezing and the material has time to dry. Material is cheap and you can make good cash. Also can start up again like Mid-Jan depending on wheather temps.

chadslawncare
12-24-2010, 08:15 PM

I am not sure if Camby is in northern IN, put here in NE Ohio, I plow snow in the winter for extra money.