PDA

View Full Version : Bobcat or Cat

Steeley
12-15-2010, 07:18 AM
Im looking at buying a Skid steer with tracks cant make up my mind, Bobcat 630 or 257b series 3 Cat? Going to use it for snow removal in the winter and landscape jobs in the other months. Please HELP with any info.
Thanks

Patriot Services
12-15-2010, 10:04 AM
I read a post somewhere else on here recently. Tracks don't seem to work well in the snow. Poster had a bobcat and was looking for better tires. Maybe plowsite would have more info for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Landscape Poet
12-15-2010, 10:17 AM
I read a post somewhere else on here recently. Tracks don't seem to work well in the snow. Poster had a bobcat and was looking for better tires. Maybe plowsite would have more info for you.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is accurate to my understanding...the tracks do not compress and compact the soil as much with tires though.

jasontimm
12-15-2010, 10:19 PM
i run a Bobcat T300 in the snow, works great, i've found that opinions very on track vs wheel, but i along with many think the tracks are as good if not better in snow, you just have to know what you are doing, as far as cat vs Bobcat, Cat costs a lot more money to fix if there is any problems, but they are nice machines. If you should demo both and see what you think,,,good luck!

wmslc
12-15-2010, 11:17 PM
I recently purchased a 257b, 3-4 months ago, and have used it for both landscaping and snow plowing (both limited). The tracks are very worn (40% remaining) and still do surprisingly well in snow, which was unexpected.

As far as landscaping, I can see how the tracks will outperform any tire machine on grass/soil.

As far as snow plowing, I can see why the tracks are not as productive as tire machines, but tracks seem to suit my needs. This past week I used my 2005 257b to push all the HEAVY snow it could fit in an 8ft box. Not flawlessly, but it got the job done. Hope this helps!

Lbilawncare
12-17-2010, 02:33 AM
Cat tracks are much better in snow than Bobcat. Both are very nice machines. I recommend a machine with pilot controls. I have a 246B wheeled machine and it is great in the snow, but I wouldn't prefer it for grading. It all depends on what you are planning as far as landscaping goes.

JShe8918
01-07-2011, 12:41 AM
Alright you need to make some decisions as to what is more important to you. A caterpillar has a smoother ride due to the chassis having a suspension. However this hinders its grading capabilities. The bobcat has no suspension on the chassis so it can grade far more easily. The t650 and t630 are both awesome machines the vertical lift on the t650 makes it much better for just 2000 more than the t630. The 650 starts out at about 49k. The Bobcat used to have better undercariage protection than the Cat did. But the new cat 259b3 has a superb undercarriage compared to previous models. I say demo them both. I have a cat dealer located here in town but when i decide to buy one i imagine i will go with the t650 even though the dealer is 2 hours away just because it seems like an awesome machine. Hope this helps. By tommorrow evening i will have my quotes from both the cat and bobcat dealer hopefully to do some more comparing!

loupiscopolandscaping
01-14-2011, 06:10 PM
i hear from ppl with many diff skid steers that cat is the way to go just expensive...i have a prime mover skid steer..small machine, lifts around 1,300lbs...good for that i need it for