PDA

View Full Version : options on handling fert in 55 gal drum..

ant
12-15-2010, 07:23 AM
one of my options is to get my fert delivered in drums. the cost difference between 2.5 gal x 2 and the price per gal is significant. i need to weight out my option's on handling the product in a timely mannor..
my plan is fill 2.5 gal jugs from the drums to fill my sprayer..

i was thinking about this http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/WESCO-Drum-Cradle-Dispenser-3JJP1?Pid=search
but i think somekind of drum pump would be better..

phasthound
12-15-2010, 08:06 AM
one of my options is to get my fert delivered in drums. the cost difference between 2.5 gal x 2 and the price per gal is significant. i need to weight out my option's on handling the product in a timely mannor..
my plan is fill 2.5 gal jugs from the drums to fill my sprayer..

i was thinking about this http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/WESCO-Drum-Cradle-Dispenser-3JJP1?Pid=search
but i think somekind of drum pump would be better..

Ant,
A drum cradle will work well for dispensing, easier to use than a pump.
In either case, you need to mix the material in the drum otherwise it will settle.
Check out http://www.drummates.com/indexflash.htm
He's a good friend in Hainesport.

fl-landscapes
12-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Ant,
In either case, you need to mix the material in the drum otherwise it will settle.

yup they work great. Screw a spicket in the threaded hole at the top and get it on a craddle, very efficient way to go. I use to work in the printing industry when I was younger and we used a lot of chemicals. They were all stored in a room on craddles with spickets and spill catch basins under them.

ted putnam
12-15-2010, 08:48 AM
I sprayed Micros early last year and purchased it in a 55 gal drum. I used a hand pump made by GPI to transfer the product to 2.5 gal jugs. It transfers 16 oz per pump. It worked great, faster than you might think and was fairly inexpensive. I think $50 or so. The only thing I never liked about cradles and spigots was the mess factor and the amount of space they take up when laid on their side, not to mention the possibility of a major leak while nobody's around.JMO

grassman177
12-15-2010, 09:00 AM
we also have done this and used a hand pump that was pretty fast, iforget the gpm of it though.

if you need the amount of fert, then buy it the cheapest way you can and bulk is a great way to save. get apump or a stand to lay it down and use a spigot

grass4gas
12-15-2010, 04:01 PM
So is your plan to spray fert out of your Z-Spray? Kinda defeats the purpose of the machine if you are doesn't it? JMO

RigglePLC
12-15-2010, 04:25 PM
I think the drum cradle is the better way to go. Of course you need a spigot and you need a drum bung wrench. You have to open the top opening a ,so as to let in some air. The drum cradle has a long handle which can be used to tip the drum over on its side. A chain over the drim is a nice addition. But remember that the drum weighs about 550 pounds and fert is more heavy--maybe in the neighborhood of 600. Difficult and dangerous to move. And the drums never drain completely. You may find yourself rasseling the almost empty drum to the top of the tank and tipping it up just to get the last gallon out. And you have a disposal problem with the used containers. You need to rinse them and we were charged 5 dollars to give them to a drum disposal company--to recycle and reuse.

However re the drum pumps--I have two I don't need--can be messy, especially when changing drums. They may lose their prime. The never get the last 3 gallons out.

Can you get your fert in a 200 gallon tote?

Ric
12-15-2010, 05:06 PM
Ant,

Slow Dog

I have never bought Fertilizer in a 30 or 55 gallon drum. I have purchased Roundup in 30 gallon drums. However you make an excellent point about keeping the product from settling to the bottom. Minor element like Fe, MG, and Zn etc are heavy metals that will fall out of solution. Even 2.5 gallon jugs of 12-0-0 Iron will have a 1/4 inch of Black gunk on the bottom.

Remember if you are going to deal will large volumes, then you need LARGE EQUIPMENT.

phasthound
12-15-2010, 05:55 PM
Slow Dog

I have never bought Fertilizer in a 30 or 55 gallon drum. I have purchased Roundup in 30 gallon drums. However you make an excellent point about keeping the product from settling to the bottom. Minor element like Fe, MG, and Zn etc are heavy metals that will fall out of solution. Even 2.5 gallon jugs of 12-0-0 Iron will have a 1/4 inch of Black gunk on the bottom.

Remember if you are going to deal will large volumes, then you need LARGE EQUIPMENT.

One company I was with bought 1000 gal of fert at a time delivered by tanker truck. We would circulate it occasionally, but it was amazing to see how much salt would settle out, cake at the bottom and never go back into solution.

My friend Dave manufactures a great mixing tool. http://www.drummates.com/Mix_PDF/Drum%20Mixers%20Shafts.pdf
Attach this to a 1/2" drill and it will thoroughly blend the contents in a drum or tote in no time. If anyone contact him about his products, let him know I sent you.

RigglePLC
12-15-2010, 06:12 PM
Another company I worked for had a 2000 gal tank for fertilizer. It was mounted up high on the second floor in the barn. We could fill our trucks by pulling under it and opening a valve on the hose. Naturally it weighed many tons--so he had to do some major major reinforcement. These days probably not legal because you probably need a secondary containment container or berm system. Also one time the fert batch was not exactly right--water was too cold. It crystalized and settled out in a major way. Fert company man came in and he had to climb inside and dissolve with canoe paddle and power washer. Yuck.

Ric
12-15-2010, 07:00 PM
I make no secret that I have a former TG/CL truck that I use to do L&O applications. I use a 200 gallon tank off an old skid spray and a 220 V swimming pool pump to mix my chemicals and pump to the truck. I have 4 ventura nozzles in the tank and get super agitation. Even then I get Undissolved solids in my tank.

grassman177
12-15-2010, 07:07 PM
it is ok to spray out of a zspray and not defeat the purpose!!????

we do one or two all liquid rounds a year, the others dry. how is that defeating the purpose? you have both capabilities for a reason!

grass4gas
12-15-2010, 09:16 PM
it is ok to spray out of a zspray and not defeat the purpose!!????

we do one or two all liquid rounds a year, the others dry. how is that defeating the purpose? you have both capabilities for a reason!

At what volume of finished spray solution per 1000 sq.ft. are you using? I don't do alot of liquid fert, and what little I do is out of a 200 gallon tank @ 2gal/k.

50 gallons on a Z at 2g/k is 25,000 square feet...not productive IMO

Can you do a L/V app with fert. like you can with W/C?

grassman177
12-15-2010, 09:34 PM
yes, no issues at all. of course the liquid fert should have precautions if it is not suitable for low volume apps.

we are running the same amount of fert through the zspray per K as we did the hose tanks, but instead of 2gal per k, we are using 1/2 gal per K and no issues whatsoever.

that is as low volume as i will go, but some here even go down to 1/4gal rate/

1/2 gal is productive

grass4gas
12-15-2010, 09:36 PM
Thanks. Good to know.

CHARLES CUE
12-16-2010, 11:12 AM
We bought fert in 275 mini bulks and than would drain it in to 55 gal drums.

From there i would use 12 volt sprayer pump to pump it into smaller containers. The pump i used would plug into my trailer plug. You could use a pump that ran on 120 v ac.

I did not like tipping the barrel on it side the spouts always leaked had to put a bucket under them.

The fert i used there was no settlement on the bottom of the drums. But after winter i would set them on there side and roll them around the floor. The CO i bought the fert from said when temps got below 40 deg the fert would separate. You need to mix it back up.

Just a thought ANT you are using Coron [spelling] fert. The label i read ! I thought it said the fert was only good for certain length of time ?

Charles Cue

ant
12-16-2010, 11:40 AM
after weighting it out the drum cradle is not for me! leaking is something i cant have. so i am back to the pump idea. as for settling i contacted the manufacture and they claim that settling is not a problem as long as the temps are not freezing.

RigglePLC
12-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Ant,
what fert product did you plan to use? If you used urea (without potash), at one pound per thousand sqft, and applied using water as a carrier at a half gallon per thousand sqft--you would need to dissolve 4.3 pounds of urea in each gallon of water in your ride-on tank. That is 77 lbs urea in your 18 gal tank. I am not sure that is possible. I would worry because that concentration is 8 times higher than we used in the old days at Trugreen. And we still burned a lot of lawns. The concentrated solution draws the moisture out of the leaf blade. You need a non-burning type of liquid fert.

grassman177
12-16-2010, 01:55 PM
i use coron and love it, it also acts like a sticker for weed controls which is nice so you dont have to add any of you use coron in your mix

ant
12-18-2010, 02:23 PM
http://www.harborfreight.com/12-gpm-air-operated-barrel-pump-93755.html

ted putnam
12-18-2010, 02:29 PM

Great idea except in the heading it says non-corrosive fluids.

Anything with salts in it such as fertilizers, 2,4-D, etcc.. is going to cause problems for you at some point.

CHARLES CUE
12-18-2010, 08:14 PM

You want to use air ?

All plastic drums i have used have pipe plugs on both barrel openings- remove the centers.

Put a air presure regulator on one And on the other run a piece of plastic water pipe to with in a inch of the bottom [ screwed to the bottom of the barrel cap ] screw in the big plug and put a shut off valve on top with a piece of hose. The air pressure will push out the fert. just add air slowly so you don't blow up the barrel. just enough pressure to push out the fert.

Charles Cue