PDA

View Full Version : Are their issues with Walkbehind boom Spraying?

DavidNJ
12-15-2010, 10:43 PM
Most boom sprayers seem to be mounted on the back or towed. However some, such as the Gregson-Clark Spreader-Mate and some ground powered units are walk-behind. TurfEx also has a front mounted ZTR sprayer.

http://www.gregsonclark.com/images_spdrmate/spreadermate-tn.jpghttp://www.walkoversprayers.com/media/productimages/65_product.jpghttp://www.superintendentmagazine.com/files/Image/SN/SN201006_26.jpg

Isn't there a problem walking or driving over fresh spray? Maybe worse if there is a marker dye in the spray?

If it is possible, I'm thinking the FIMCO ATV Deluxe sprayer with 3.8gpm pump, 25 gallon tank, and 10' boom with 7 TeeJet nozzles, and a hand boom with 15' hose could be adapted to the front of walkbehind floating deck mower.

http://www.sprayingequipmentsupply.com/spraying-equipment/images/atv25-71.jpg

DavidNJ
12-16-2010, 06:41 PM
Apparently the Fimco is $450 including shipping.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/415mmamurkL._SS400_.jpghttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51o2rkUFVTL._SS400_.jpg

ms lawnman
12-16-2010, 06:53 PM
I have the Gregson-Clark Spreader-Mate and it works great.

grassman177
12-16-2010, 07:08 PM
you have to wear rubber boots anyhow, your feet are going to get it on them no matter how hard you try not too if that is what you are worried about, but it is not harmful to the app to drive or walk through while doing it.

i would not try to modify that to a walk behind, you will end up with bad traction.

i know you are new and trying to figure out what machine is going to be the best for budget and productivity and ease.

tell us more about your mix of potential lawns to spray, and maybe we can help more.

if they are small, then push ones woudl be ok, but you will get tired, i would way rather use a hose and tank truck than push all day i can tell you that, unless your lawns are very small etc.,

i have seen the atv mounted version of the one you have pics of, and it is great for large areas, but not very easy to use on anything of medium size and smaller.

DavidNJ
12-16-2010, 09:09 PM
Why would it have a traction issue more so than any of the other walkbehinds? with over 400# on the drive wheels and moving at 3mph, I would imagine traction wouldn't be an issue.

The boom folds, with the center section, containing 3 nozzles, should spray the width of the mower while fitting into the same space. The 15' hose could be used in tighter spaces. The unit should easily fit on a platform above the front floating deck frame.

The unit would be used to spray pre-emergent, post-emergent, pesticides, fungicides, and possibly some nutrient amendments. It would also transport the system to various plantings for applicaton with the hand sprayer, where it had sufficent range. My guess is a hose extension may be added for that.

I'm thinking it may be possible to make a U-shaped bracket that held the boom behind the operator; there isn't much weight involved.

grassman177
12-16-2010, 10:35 PM
i would think the rear wheels would get less traction with the weight of water up front. which also could be too much for the hydros etc depending on the mower.

also, although convenient and cheap, take account that the fert and everything WILL absolutely prematurely wear out many components on the mower , unless of course somehow you rig the bracket behind you with it which seems cumbersome at best

DavidNJ
12-17-2010, 12:21 AM
The mower is a Exmark Turf Tracer 60 with a Kohler 23hp engine. Most power in a mower goes to the blades, when spraying, especially with a spray width more than double the mower width, it would only be spraying.

The shipping weight of the unit is 102lb, although it says the item weight is 40lb. 25 gallons weights 200#. The mower deck weighs 400lb. The frame is not only made to support the mower deck, but to deal with the load of it banging into things. Worst case, the mower deck could be detached (pretty easy to do, 4 pins, one belt, tip the mower back and slide the deck forward on the anti-scalp rollers). Either way, weight shouldn't be an issue.

bcomstock15
05-27-2011, 09:57 PM
DavidNJ , i've been thinking of doing the same thing. i want a sulky on mine too :) have you come up with anything yet? i'd love to see some pics if you have. Thanks.

DavidNJ
05-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Well...I've got the mower and I have the FIMCO ATV sprayer...but I haven't put the two together yet.

So far, I put the sprayer on a hand pulled cart. First battery powered; then, when that turned out to not last long enough, I added a 800w generator to the cart. The sprayer works very well, as you would expect with 7 non-drip TeeJet nozzles. I did some Roundup, and the kill line looked like it was done by a surveyor.

I'll try the combo in a week or so for a herbicide treatment. Pictures then.

bcomstock15
05-27-2011, 11:13 PM
Cool, sounds like that would be a heavy cart! IMO the traction, if anything, would get better with more weight, as long as its not out in front of the front wheels. With a full 25 gal tank your adding about 200lb + the equipment right? should be ok, i have JD walk behinds and they are built like tanks. Is your walk behind electric start? or will you need to add a battery or something to it? My JD GS75 has a battery already so i think i can hook it up to that.

DavidNJ
05-27-2011, 11:21 PM
The Turf Tracer 60" is an 800# 23hp walk behind. I doubt pull start would work with the 750cc Kohler V-twin.

The cart pulls ok, but uneven terrain can be a bigger issue and maintaining walking speed, especially with hills. However, if you think about my equipment--walk behind mower, walk behind dingo (actually, walk backwards a lot), walk behind aerator (always walking backwards), push spreader--you may see a theme. At least I don't try to carry it! But then there is the 4gal backpack electric sprayer I picked up at Harbor Freight, the Echo 770 blower, and the upcoming Maruyama 30cc multi-tool.

cuttin-to-the-Max
05-28-2011, 12:00 AM
Its just going to be heavy...I know a Gallon is 10 pounds so add that to all your hardware and your looking At least 70 pounds!

I made a small sprayer but i didnt want to mount it to my mower but i also wanted to be able to pull it with my golf cart or atv
so i just made a nice wagon/ cart that i can pull with my ZTR
THen my sprayer is mounted to a Skid like platform that i can just drop in and strap it down.

Look on here! There are many guys with mounted sprayers

DavidNJ
05-28-2011, 12:08 AM
The deck is 400#. If you run a leaf catcher, loaded that can be 70-100#, and hanging off one side rather than distributed across the frame. The mower is strong enough to handle different terrain and bang into stuff (within reason) and not break. The full tank, with 200# of water plus the 100# assembly shouldn't be a problem.

avguy
05-28-2011, 08:27 AM
Which Teejet nozzles did you get?

DavidNJ
05-28-2011, 03:22 PM
It came with yellow 8002s, which should be around .21gpm per nozzle at 45psi indicated on the gauge.

Nozzles catalog sheet: http://www.teejet.com/media/b7092bea-69ee-4391-9532-d9ee338d9972-CAT50-US_LoRes_p039.pdf

Sprayer manual: http://www.fimcoindustries.com/images/manuals/ATV-25-71(FM690).pdf

greendoctor
05-28-2011, 04:35 PM
I would switch those for the AI11002 nozzles. Regular nozzles drift badly and the 80 degree tips are the worst because you have to hold them so high to get the proper pattern overlap. An AI110 can be held 16" off the ground at a 20" spacing on the boom. I know this because I am in an extremely windy area. It is usually blowing 5-10 MPH and 20 with gusts becomes a no spray day.

My typical spray rig is a 3 nozzle 40" hand held boom. I do not walk backwards. Aside from a little spray materials on my chemical resistant boots, there are no problems associated with my walking through the area I sprayed. Walking through a sprayed area also does not affect weed control either. Of course, my mixes are formulated with the correct surfactants and additives. I expect every droplet to cling and then spread. It is not like droplets of dew on the weeds after I have sprayed.

DavidNJ
05-28-2011, 05:55 PM
That is using two factors, drop size (the AI11002 has about 3x the average drop diameter as the TP8002) and spray angle (110° vs. 80°) to reduce wind sensitivity by increasing drop mass and reducing spray height respectively.

The TeeJet catalog lists the AI (Air Induction) nozzles for use between rows of crops. It indicates the bigger drops are better for systemic applications and the finer drops are better for contact application.

Fimco probably chose the TP8002 for a combination of versatility and cost.

Do you use the AI11002 for contact pesticides and foliar fertilizers?

TeeJet catalog download page: http://www.teejet.com/english/home/literature/catalogs/catalog-51.aspx

greendoctor
05-28-2011, 06:08 PM
I use AI1103-11008 dependent on application volume and wind conditions. It is hard to blow the spray pattern on an AI11008. I do use these nozzles for contact products and foliar nutrients. My spray equipment has the capacity to operate anywhere from 25-100+ PSI. For foliar nutrients, I operate the correct size tip to put down 1-2 Gallons per 1000 at over 50 PSI.

greendoctor
05-28-2011, 06:10 PM
There are also 2 AI nozzles, one is for broadcast on a boom and the other is for drop nozzles in between rows of crops. I use the one intended for broadcast application.

bmac1996acc
05-30-2011, 03:13 PM
Its just going to be heavy...I know a Gallon is 10 pounds so add that to all your hardware and your looking At least 70 pounds!

I made a small sprayer but i didnt want to mount it to my mower but i also wanted to be able to pull it with my golf cart or atv
so i just made a nice wagon/ cart that i can pull with my ZTR
THen my sprayer is mounted to a Skid like platform that i can just drop in and strap it down.

Look on here! There are many guys with mounted sprayers

A gallon of what? A gallon of water is 8.34lbs.

bcomstock15
05-31-2011, 01:33 AM
what about a walker boom sprayer attachment? 25 gal.. looks decent, do you think this would mount to a WB? anyone use a walker sprayer before? http://www.walkermowers.com/attachments/boom-sprayer.php

bcomstock15
05-31-2011, 01:48 AM
they look to be available for bad boy mowers as well.. although they look the exact same :P probably one made by fimco.

DavidNJ
05-31-2011, 01:51 AM
That is very similar to the FIMCO ATV sprayer. Of course, walker has the mount for their unit. The mount seems to be a fairly simple structure that lies over the front most part of the floating deck frame. I am planning to just use a pieces of plywood, use the u-bolts to mount the unit to the plywood and tie downs to hold the plywood to the floating deck frame.

The Walker also has a curtain to keep spray off the mower, and of course, the operating is riding so he isn't walking through the sprayed area. However, the mower's tires are going through it.

bcomstock15
05-31-2011, 02:48 PM
sounds cool david, can't wait to see it.

bcomstock15
06-11-2011, 06:44 PM
Hey David, any news on your WB spray rig?

DavidNJ
06-14-2011, 01:48 AM
I have it together...had to make some design changes. Hopefully I'll get to try it tomorrow.

bcomstock15
06-16-2011, 10:23 PM
I just took my walkbehind in to a FIMCO dealer here and priced out a 25 gal. sprayer on the front of a JD GS75, which is a 48" deck, 17 HP, belt drive walk behind. i'll take the deck off which will save some weight. it should work great, and only about $600 CDN. does that price seem decent?

vencops
06-16-2011, 10:30 PM
Which Fimco?

If it's not the ATV-25-71, I think that's high.

bcomstock15
06-16-2011, 10:33 PM
hmm, no its the one with the smaller boom, the ATV-25-700. what do you figure its worth?

DavidNJ
06-16-2011, 11:56 PM
ATV-25-71, I got it on e-bay for just over $400.

I was planning on taking pictures this evening, but was only seeing 20psi. Checked the electrics...no apparent problem. Re-read the manual, saw the valve on the inlet, took a look, there is a screen filter there. That was a screen filter covered with grass. I guess I had some grass on my arms when I filled the tank.

I have 2 2x4s going across the front caster arms for a base. Squared off 3" wide U-bolts hold the 2x4s to the caster arms. The bolt tops face up to clear the casters and the top of the threads needed to be cut off to clear the tank.

Another short pair pair of 2x4s (about 11" long) are bolted to the bottom of the assembly and rest on the other 2x4s. .Two ratcheting tie downs hold the tank to the base. That provides an option for removing the tank or tipping it to drain fully.

The boom mount is reversed so it is up rather than down. The nozzle outlet is 19" off the ground. The 15' hose is shorter than I'd like; the areas I have to use the hose can be more than 15' away. As a stream it seem to shoot a good 25+', adequate for most trees.

So far I've been lazy with the power cord, running it over the air filter, around the choke knob (which left the on/off switch right at my finger tips) and the down between the handlebars and the engine to the top of the battery.

The extra weight on nose has made traction a bit more of an issue. On a walkbehind, an 800# walkbehind, traction is generally not an issue. However, with the extra 70# on the nose, actually part of it in front of the nose, it becomes a bit of an issue. I've needed to be more conscious of the relative wheel speeds. However, the Exmark's bullhorn handlebars and controls make that control fairly easy.

The 10 foot boom is really nifty...it handles large areas fairly quickly. I have two valves to turn off the side 2 nozzles on each of the left and right side extensions but haven't installed then yet. The boom is designed to hang off the back of an ATV; on the front of the mower it is reversed. That means the extension don't bend back if they hit something. You need to be careful not to bang the arms into trees, fences, etc. The 10 foot boom is wide enough that it wouldn't be practical on a smaller lot.

Pictures to follow...maybe even a quick video. For $410 or so plus maybe $40 is wood, bolts, and tiedowns, this is pretty nifty.

vencops
06-17-2011, 08:23 AM
^^I have the same unit (25-71). $479.99, new/delivered from Agri-Supply.

It's mounted on my ATV. I'm getting 60+psi, now that I figured it out. I broke the wand that comes with it on day 1. I'm kinda glad I did. I replaced it with a really nice unit.....got rid of the 15' section and added a 25' section. Great move.

I admire the OP's ingenuity. I'm anxious to see if he can get it calibrated. Good luck. I hope it works out. And, I hope you'll continue to post how it's progressing.

bcomstock15
06-26-2011, 02:50 PM
DavidNJ, any pictures or videos yet? im anxious to see how this is working. Have you gotten much use out of it yet? where is the boom positioned? in front of the casters or some how between the casters/frame? Thanks!

DavidNJ
07-03-2011, 10:54 PM
I keep forgetting the camera, snapped these quickly with the cell phone..they all came out a bit blurry. I wasn't spraying at the time.

The first shows the boom extended. The second shows the view from the controls where you can how the pressure is clear from the operators position. Also not the on/off switch is laying on the console.

Fimco has a wireless power remote, which I have, but ended up not using in this application, it easily plugs into the power cable.

vencops
07-04-2011, 11:08 AM
What's the height of your nozzles from the ground? Any issues with that?

What have you sprayed, so far? Results? I'm more interested in your coverage and your calibration than anything else.

BEST (I have the same unit on my ATV) height I can get, without some mods., is 21".

bcomstock15
07-04-2011, 10:44 PM
Why would you want the height different from the recommended 18"? Pics look good, i put mine together as well, definitely a bit harder to maneuver but usable, it'd be nice to transfer some of the weight to the back wheels.

vencops
07-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Why would you want the height different from the recommended 18"?

"I" don't. The 21" is as low as mine will go (sans mods). And, this is mounted on my ATV.

bcomstock15
07-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Heres some pics of my rig ( http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=355692 2nd page), what do you guys think? what problems might i have? what recommendations might you have? thanks!

turfsmart
01-25-2012, 03:15 PM
Tank mnts to the 2x4, & the 2x4 to the frame?. Looks great!
I have a 15gal Fimco boomles ATVunit & a 48" Turf Tracer17hpKaw My only problem is the power source for the pump... Its a pull start. Did you consider using a rider instead?
How did you make out with the calibration?
TS

Savannah Dan
09-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Awesome! Thanks for posting