PDA

View Full Version : Iron does it really make a diff?

1grnlwn
08-27-2002, 09:14 AM
I have done a test to see if the chelated iron I have been putting in my liquid weed and feed, really makes a difference. Put coron on half of front and coron and iron on other half. It has been about two weeks and i can't tell the difference. Has anyone else done this test? Could the greening be seen only if the turf is starved for N? Should iron be used instead of fert too see the difference. Or should I save some $$$ and ditch the iron. Got Proof?

Mark

KenH
08-27-2002, 03:27 PM
In my experience, using Iron on a healthy, green lawn will yield little noticeable results. The only times I have seen improvements were when the lawn was anemic to begin with.

Runner
08-27-2002, 09:46 PM
I agree with Ken to a certain extent. If the soil is rich in N, then the Iron will yield less noticeable results. How much water has been put to it since it was done? The 2 week mark is about when you should really start noticing, if it has had adequate water.

lawnstudent
08-27-2002, 10:07 PM
1grnlwn,

I have tested chelated iron (w/o fert) on my own lawn and do see a remarkable difference. I also have tested the pH of my lawn and know that I have an alkaline soil (high pH). Alkaline soils are known to create iron deficiences in turf and benefit from the application of iron. I also know that iron apps do not last a long time. I've seen a difference for no more than a week on my lawn with iron.

Acidic or low pH soils do not typically create iron deficiences in turf. I think you will see much less of an impact from an iron app on low pH soils.

jim

lawnstudent
08-27-2002, 10:14 PM
1grnlwn,

P.S.

when I app iron on to my lawn the green up is immediate! I can see and my neighbors have commented on the difference the next day. Chelated iron apps should never take two weeks to take affect. I probably should never say never here. There are probably conditions where it could take some time, but I have never seen an iron app take two weeks to affect my lawn. I am scheduled to app my lawn this next weeked with Trimec and chelated iron. I'll report back on the time to green-up next week.

jim

KirbysLawn
08-28-2002, 12:40 AM
What rate did you apply the iron? How many ounces/gallon or K?

lawnstudent
08-28-2002, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by KirbysLawn
What rate did you apply the iron? How many ounces/gallon or K?

Kirby,

is your question directed and 1grnlwn or me?

jim

KirbysLawn
08-28-2002, 09:15 AM
Sorry, it was for 1grnlwn.

Rob Spread & Spray
08-30-2002, 07:37 AM
What about using a fert with iron in it? Would this not be enough iron to help you out? Our ferts often contain 2% iron.