PDA

View Full Version : Organic Matter and Corn Meal

RRHAMMONS
12-15-2010, 10:15 PM
Can some tell me if aeration and ground corn meal will help to increase the amount of organic matter in heavy clay soil? What other benefits might be derived from using corn meal? Thanks.

Evolving
12-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Are you talking about corn gluten? If so, I think it helps keep and build organic matter in the soil by not not killing naturally occuring organisms in the soil like some patroleum based fertilizers can do. Also, at high rates corn gluten has been shown to be a weed (crabgrass) pre-emergent.

dishboy
12-16-2010, 09:51 AM
Can some tell me if aeration and ground corn meal will help to increase the amount of organic matter in heavy clay soil? What other benefits might be derived from using corn meal? Thanks.

Yes and corm meal has been reported to help with some disease control. I had a problem lawn with what I thought was "frogeye" and two apps @ 20lbs K cleared it up. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBG6wac4lss

Kiril
12-16-2010, 09:59 AM
Can some tell me if aeration and ground corn meal will help to increase the amount of organic matter in heavy clay soil?

Compost (top dressed) would be a far better product to use as it has a much better chance of getting into the core holes, and it provides the bulk necessary to actually build up your SOM in a reasonable amount of time for less material money.

starry night
12-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Most organic inputs will result in more soil organic matter eventually. You could throw your leftover supper table scraps or your clothes dryer lint on your lawn and it would eventually add some quantity of organic matter to your soil. And so would cornmeal. What you really want to do is broadcast compost after you aerate.

quackgrass
12-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Using corn meal is just stealing OM from the farmers field and putting it onto a lawn. The amount of energy wasted to accomplish that process could rival the amount used for producing mineral nitrogen. And then you have to factor in that the Farmer has to replace that missing O/M one way or another.

With compost you also spend energy, but waste O/M is added back into the nutrient cycle. Its more comparable to recycling than theft :)

Compostwerks LLC
12-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Compost (top dressed) would be a far better product to use as it has a much better chance of getting into the core holes, and it provides the bulk necessary to actually build up your SOM in a reasonable amount of time for less material money.

I'm in agreement with Kiril.

How much influence on organic matter percentage with CGM? At 20lbs. per 1,000? I don't think very much.

You also won't get the microbial benefits that you would using compost....let alone the soil structure and water retention benefits.

starry night
12-16-2010, 08:59 PM
I just noticed I posted shortly after Kiril this morning without seeing his post.
Didn't intend to be a parrot. Probably missed it because I am breaking in a new computer with Windows 7 and it has me cross-eyed.

Yes I know, Kiril, I should get Linux but I'm not smart enough to operate it, I'm sure.

JDUtah
12-16-2010, 09:46 PM
Fertilize with Ammonium Sulfate and let the plant add(grow) its own organic matter to the soil! :)

Kiril
12-17-2010, 09:51 AM
I just noticed I posted shortly after Kiril this morning without seeing his post.
Didn't intend to be a parrot. Probably missed it because I am breaking in a new computer with Windows 7 and it has me cross-eyed.

Yes I know, Kiril, I should get Linux but I'm not smart enough to operate it, I'm sure.

Your response is not incorrect, however if you want to increase your SOM then compost is by far the most efficient and effective way to do it.

Ubuntu is a version of linux that just about anyone can understand. You should download a live CD and check it out. It is a great distro for linux noobs.

starry night
12-17-2010, 09:58 AM

Ubuntu is a version of linux that just about anyone can understand. You should download a live CD and check it out. It is a great distro for linux noobs.

:laugh::laugh: I have to laugh sometimes at the what the eyes see.
I first read "a great distro for linux snobs." :laugh::laugh: