PDA

View Full Version : old school leaf vac?

wild willy
12-16-2010, 12:32 AM
hello gents:
I have the opportunity to get a deal on this beauty in disguise.It came out of the factory Sept. of 97, this thing is built like a tank. Surface rust, but no real wear and tear, impeller is in good shape and has 23 hp.I beleive it sat outside more than it was used.
The hose is toast but the unit runs well. Made by highway equipment(never heard of them) He's looking for 1200 but I believe the unit will be mine for under 1k. (and slip on a 6 bladed billy goat impeller)
I've never really asked for opinions on the forum , I listen/read alot and purchase accordingly.My heart was set on an 18 hp billy goat($4,500) but $$$$$ I can be swayed,especially if its my own elbow grease.The hose will set me back 12" @$35 ft or 10"@$22 ft.
deal or no deal???
Billy the leaf exterminator (lol)

Richard Martin
12-16-2010, 01:38 AM
They have a website but it's kinda useless. At $1200 it sounds like you found a great deal.

http://www.highwayequipment.com/Home/tabid/36/Default.aspx

yardmanlee
12-16-2010, 07:50 PM
looks like giant vac I use to have

grassman177
12-16-2010, 09:38 PM
i think it looks like a humk of crap, not meaning to be rude or anything. i would not pay more than aobut 3-4 hundred for it since it needs so much work, and i would not trust that engine to last very long either.

i would pass or go low on price

HicksGroundMgt
12-22-2010, 11:16 PM
looks like a giant vac piece. does it run? make sure that it runs for sure, seems like you got a true barn find!

Mr. Force™, Billy Goat Industries
12-23-2010, 09:29 AM
Highway was in the market for about 3 years. They ceased production of debris Loaders about 10 years ago. It's a knock off of a Giant-Vac and I was told they still have parts a few years back. The real concern I'd have is about the Wisconsin engine. That company is gone and I don't know if you can get parts for it. You might want to do a little review to see if another engine has the same hole pattern, and crank height if you have to replace the engine.

yardmanlee
12-23-2010, 09:31 AM
I would'nt pay more than 500$ for it

tailboardtech
12-23-2010, 09:48 PM
we have one at work looks like hell even worse than that one we use it every year starts right up and it sits outside all year. its a kohler not a Wisconsin engine, i think $1000 would be about right for it, they will suck anything that will fit through the hose and all the parts for it just call them up they will give you the common part numbers for bearings and such, we use a lot of there plows also