PDA

View Full Version : Ride On Carrier on a Dodge Dakota

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-17-2010, 01:08 AM
Guys,

I am interested in picking up a carrier for my PG for use next season.
My primary truck is a 2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4.
Would my truck handle a ride on carrier ok?

Only other payload would be some bags of fert (less than 10 at a time) and a few 5 gallon jugs of water for refill. No tank, no skid.

I could always add some leaf springs if need be. I do have the heavy tow package on this vehicle.

Thx

grass4gas
12-17-2010, 06:07 AM
What size truck? 1/2, 3/4 ton?

I have a 3/4 ton chevy 2500hd p/u that I use "occasionaly" with the carrier for my p/g and it handles it fine. You would have no problem with this size truck. My main truck is a 3500 chevy flat bed.

A 1500 1/4 ton p/u will sit to low when loaded with rack and p/g. I would look into airbags instead of leaf springs. The airbags give you flexibility by being able to deflate them for a more comfortable ride when your just riding around in it.

I had them on my chevy 1500 when I had it. Lifted the back end up plenty for towing a trailer, or the rack and p/g. I had no problems with them for the 5 years I had them on the truck

garydale
12-17-2010, 08:59 AM
Next time you get to your supplier have them set a pallet or half pallet of fert on the truck. That will show you a lot.
I started with a 1500 chevy. After one season we went to a 2500 HD. then we put two extra leaf springs on it to get close to what we needed.

A overloaded truck will be very hard on brakes.

Rayholio
12-17-2010, 12:40 PM
you will need some additional leafs put in the springs at least. I just sold my '99 dakota this morning.. and it was my 1st app vehicle.

I put 5000 lb springs on it.. and with a pallet of fert and a push spreader on board it was scary as hell to drive.. nose high, and squirrely... I doubt that you could put any ride-on that far back from the back wheels and expect good results with that vehicle.

The #1 problem I had was brakes. the brakes were WAAAAAY under sized to be stopping any weight. I would go thru them very quickly. I would suggest that if you have to take a ride on with you, get a small tilt trailer, and have a brake axle put on it, then wire your truck with a trailer brake controller. I pulled mine like that a few times, and it worked out great. well.. as great as could be expected considering those trucks were never meant to do any REAL work.

also consider a tranny cooler.

MarcSmith
12-17-2010, 01:05 PM
* Maximum towing capacity: 7000 lbs.
* Maximum payload: 1720 lbs.

10 bags of fert= 500lbs
15 gallons of water = 100lbs(more or less)
Driver= 200 lbs
PG= 700 lbs

so the math says you can do it and not be overloaded
700lbs of "tongue weight" won't be fun but doable.

Just remember springs don't increase your max payload they only make you truck squat less

rcreech
12-17-2010, 01:33 PM
To me....

We use Chevy 2500's and the truck we have with a rack "squats" really bad and it is a full size pickup.

I don't see how a Dodge Dakota could even come close to working by the time you put any amount of water and fert on the truck.

With all that weight no the back of the truck it just naturally makes the truck squat.

I remember leaving in the morning with 120 gallons of water, 30-40 bags of fert and a PG hanging off the back and thinking....so this is what it feels like to sit in a spaceship!

The truck didn't steer good either! :)

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-17-2010, 02:07 PM
Good info guys. Now, I won't be carrying more than 15-20 gals of water and 10 bags of fert, besides myself and the PG/rack so maybe that makes a difference?

If still not, I will just keep loading the PG on a trailer with fert in the truck bed.
Just looking for something less cumbersome.

RigglePLC
12-17-2010, 02:56 PM
Of course you need the maximum size trailer hitch, 500 lbs tongue weight or something like that. Of course you could do what I did from time to time. Carry the fert in the front seat to help balance the load.

azjojo99
12-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Maybe put on rack on the front of the truck to carry the fert, that would counter balance the PG hanging off the back!

I think it would be too much for a Dakota to handle. It makes a 2500 pickup sit down.

CHARLES CUE
12-17-2010, 08:59 PM
I don't think your truck will handle it. Look for a trailer or a bigger truck.

Just remember that rack hangs off the back 3 ft and it will drag the ground going up a hill off a flat road. The lower the rack is to the ground the more it will drag.

Charles Cue

gregory
12-17-2010, 09:12 PM
i agree with charles that truck is like 1/4ton trk. yea you can add springs to make it sit level but it still has 1/4ton brakes and i am sure those will wear out fast with that weight.

Service 1st Lawn Care
12-17-2010, 11:40 PM
Your truck is a 2006, you could probably use a new TAX right off about now. Go buy a real truck.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-18-2010, 12:12 AM
Your truck is a 2006, you could probably use a new TAX right off about now. Go buy a real truck.

Not appreciated.

I just bought this truck. With cash.
Its what I wanted, I did not want a full sized behemoth truck that would not even fit in my garage.

Not buying another truck guys, sorry. If I have to haul trailer with a PG I will. The Dakota is PLENTY of truck to do that. Heck, my Ford Escape pulled around a PG on a trailer for a year before I got the truck, and it had no problems either.

NattyLawn
12-18-2010, 09:35 AM
Not appreciated.

Its what I wanted, I did not want a full sized behemoth truck that would not even fit in my garage.

Not buying another truck guys, sorry. If I have to haul trailer with a PG I will. The Dakota is PLENTY of truck to do that. Heck, my Ford Escape pulled around a PG on a trailer for a year before I got the truck, and it had no problems either.

I'd say your options are to stick with the trailer or use ramps and put the PG in the bed. With 10 bags of fert and some 5 gallon containers it may be tight.

Another option would be a one ton van and you could ramp the PG in the side or back doors.

turfcobob
12-18-2010, 11:06 AM
Guys,

I am interested in picking up a carrier for my PG for use next season.
My primary truck is a 2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4.
Would my truck handle a ride on carrier ok?

Only other payload would be some bags of fert (less than 10 at a time) and a few 5 gallon jugs of water for refill. No tank, no skid.

I could always add some leaf springs if need be. I do have the heavy tow package on this vehicle.

Thx

I would not try it on a Dakota. When you put 500 plus pounds that far behind the rear axle you are really overloading the truck. Steering is going to be marginal and there will be damage to your vehicle. I have seen half ton units that have been damaged by carriers on the rear. 3/4 heavies and one tons are the answer to this kind of hauling. You would be better served with a nice trailer you can pick up for the same money. Then use your Dakota for a Nurse Truck to feed the applicator.

rcreech
12-18-2010, 11:40 AM
I would not try it on a Dakota. When you put 500 plus pounds that far behind the rear axle you are really overloading the truck. Steering is going to be marginal and there will be damage to your vehicle. I have seen half ton units that have been damaged by carriers on the rear. 3/4 heavies and one tons are the answer to this kind of hauling. You would be better served with a nice trailer you can pick up for the same money. Then use your Dakota for a Nurse Truck to feed the applicator.

I second that motion!

I just don't see how you can carry a machine on a rack like that.

It is a lot of weight to be hanging off a truck...especially a small one.

JMO

grass4gas
12-18-2010, 12:30 PM
What is the Dakota? Is it similar to the ford ranger in size and engine? I mean are we talking 6 or 8 cylinder? GVW on a 6 banger would not be enough no matter what.

As I stated in my first reply, I had a 1500 chevy with a 305 motor. I installed the airbag system, which raised the ass end up way high. With the rack and p/g there was no problem with it dragging. Loaded the fert and water jugs up against the cab and off I went. I had no issues with this set up.

IMO airbags are the way to go. My 2500hd squats when I trailer, so the airbags will level out the back end. When I'm done, I can let the air out and the truck rides like stock. With leaf springs, your stuck with a much harder ride unless you remove them.

I don't know the GVW on a dakota so he may be out of luck no matter what he tries.

CHARLES CUE
12-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Not appreciated.

Sounds like you got a small garage!

Real nice you got cash to buy your truck.

May be one of these days when you got lots of work you will need a behemoth truck. With room to spare

My behemoth 3/4 ton chevy is not that much bigger than your just hauls more.:weightlifter:

Good luck with your hauling :dancing:

Charles Cue

djagusch
12-18-2010, 08:55 PM
Well the rear gvw is 3600lbs. I would bring it to a scale full of fuel, measure the total weight, front axle and then the rear axle. Then you know for that vehicle how much it can hold (3600 - weight measured with rear axle on the scale). You might not even be able to put a full pallet of fert in back to stock at home.

Its good you paid with cash but my guess the truck is a short term solution to your business. Long term you will end up min a half ton and most likely larger than that. Pulling trailers with mowers on that truck will wear it out pretty fast even if you drive like an old lady. Just not made to do it everyday. Might of been better off taking a small loan on a larger truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

americanlawn
12-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Hi DA -- I pretty much agree with others. Dodge did their homework when they made the 2006 Dakota -- most automotive sites give it a "five star" rating, so I'd take good care of her and keep it a long time. Therefore I would not add extra springs or use a carrier rack that could cause damage to it or depreciate its value. (You got one heck of a deal....just check NADA).

Questions:

Will the PG fit between the 'wheel wells' of your Dakota truck bed?

Is your Dakota a regular cab/extended cab/quad cab? If it's an extended or quad cab, you might have room to carry bags of fert & jugs of herbicide (especially if you are able to "remove seats"). Then you could use "ramps" to load & unload it on & off the bed of your truck. But if it's a regular cab, you might have to "pull a trailer" :cry:.........(I bite my lip regarding "trailer haulin'" and most folks know what I think of that idea) :laugh::laugh::laugh:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-18-2010, 10:28 PM
Well the rear gvw is 3600lbs. I would bring it to a scale full of fuel, measure the total weight, front axle and then the rear axle. Then you know for that vehicle how much it can hold (3600 - weight measured with rear axle on the scale). You might not even be able to put a full pallet of fert in back to stock at home.

Its good you paid with cash but my guess the truck is a short term solution to your business. Long term you will end up min a half ton and most likely larger than that. Pulling trailers with mowers on that truck will wear it out pretty fast even if you drive like an old lady. Just not made to do it everyday. Might of been better off taking a small loan on a larger truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

I pretty much get the drift guys...thanks.
Will likely stick to pulling trailer with fert and water jugs in the truck bed. Unless the PG fits in the bed....still, probably won't do that.

I pulled mower trailer with an Escape for 3 seasons before I got this truck.
No issues, even with a 6 cyl in that. The Dakota is a 1/2 ton truck with a light V8. I am not concerned in the least pulling mower trailer around. Its got more than enough for that.

ted putnam
12-18-2010, 11:36 PM
Hi DA -- I pretty much agree with others. Dodge did their homework when they made the 2006 Dakota -- most automotive sites give it a "five star" rating, so I'd take good care of her and keep it a long time. Therefore I would not add extra springs or use a carrier rack that could cause damage to it or depreciate its value. (You got one heck of a deal....just check NADA).

Questions:

Will the PG fit between the 'wheel wells' of your Dakota truck bed?

Is your Dakota a regular cab/extended cab/quad cab? If it's an extended or quad cab, you might have room to carry bags of fert & jugs of herbicide (especially if you are able to "remove seats"). Then you could use "ramps" to load & unload it on & off the bed of your truck. But if it's a regular cab, you might have to "pull a trailer" :cry:.........(I bite my lip regarding "trailer haulin'" and most folks know what I think of that idea) :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hauling jugs of herbicide in the cab of the truck????:nono:
The last highlighted part of your post sums it up for me.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-19-2010, 11:35 AM
[/B]

Hauling jugs of herbicide in the cab of the truck????:nono:
The last highlighted part of your post sums it up for me.

I didn't say I do that. Larry mentioned that....

djagusch
12-19-2010, 03:13 PM
I pretty much get the drift guys...thanks.
Will likely stick to pulling trailer with fert and water jugs in the truck bed. Unless the PG fits in the bed....still, probably won't do that.

I pulled mower trailer with an Escape for 3 seasons before I got this truck.
No issues, even with a 6 cyl in that. The Dakota is a 1/2 ton truck with a light V8. I am not concerned in the least pulling mower trailer around. Its got more than enough for that.

I just said the best way to go about finding what you can carry.

As for the dakota wearing out I would worry about brakes more than anything. I would invest in trailer brakes before the season starts. It would save a lot of wear on the truck. My 6x12 trailer I put brakes on even and is much easier to stop. It will run $500 or so to get brakes and the contoller.
Posted via Mobile Device

ted putnam
12-19-2010, 04:54 PM
I didn't say I do that. Larry mentioned that....

I realized that was not your idea. I just couldn't believe(or maybe I could:hammerhead:) that Larry would suggest that. I have carried jugs of herbicide in the cab of my truck before but only when transporting NEW jugs from the distributor to my shop. NEVER jugs that have already been opened. That's just asking for disaster.:dizzy:

americanlawn
12-20-2010, 06:30 PM
I realize that carrying pesticides in an enclosed cab is frowned upon. What I had in mind was:

1) haul the PG in the back of the truck (if it fits between the wheel wells)

2) then put 2 1/2 gallon jugs of pre-mixed herbicide in all four corners of the truck bed where you have empty space

3) carry bags of fert in the cab

NOTE: If you don't have enough room for the herbicide jugs, you can put "concentrate herbicide" in the windshield washer tank under the hood (requires extra hose). Then just borrow water from homeowners as needed to refill.
During winter time, make sure to triple rinse the windshield washer tank before refilling with Jack Daniels.......... I know them Minnesota guys. :laugh::laugh:

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Thats how you carry your concentrate Larry?
In the windshield washer tanks? Efficient......very efficient:)

Also, again, I am not concerned about my 1/2 ton Dakota with a V8 pulling a small 5x8 trailer with equipment. If my Escape can handle it for 3 years, a Dakota certainly can. Wasn't what I asked.

Triton37
12-21-2010, 03:16 PM
Definately make sure you have at least 8 ply or 10 ply tires. No matter how many leaf springs you will need strong side walls due to a 300lb ramp and a 500+ rideon leveraging on the back of your truck's tires as you bounce across pot holes and dirt roads.

Mudly
12-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Definately make sure you have at least 8 ply or 10 ply tires. No matter how many leaf springs you will need strong side walls due to a 300lb ramp and a 500+ rideon leveraging on the back of your truck's tires as you bounce across pot holes and dirt roads.

for heavy maint days i pull a 18ft trialer with 2 60" buntons a 52" cc a lawnboy and all my handhelds with no trailer breaks all day long with a 02 ford exploder. I have been doing this for 3 seasons. the only repair i have made was a water pump some 100k miles ago.
yes i call it a ford exploder. (inside joke)
and before anyone asks i would rather uses the exploder than the 350 dump for economical purposes in this situation.
i dont know much about dodge tow capabilities but if my exploder can do it i would assume the same from a dakoda

GreenI.A.
12-21-2010, 07:59 PM
seems you already have your answer, but I'll still add my 2 cents. We tried a pg carrior on a 4x4 dakota, once the pg was loaded the end set only 8" or so off the ground. The issue is that it makes the truck real springy. just moving the truck in the parking lot at 10mph was enough to make the back bounce enough so that the carior hit the ground. Picture you and 3 friends jumping up and down on the bumper, now multiply that by the leverage of the PG thats hanging 3 1/2 ft further back.

Definetly go with a small trailor for your fert and PG. you can carry alot more than in the bed with alot less wear and tear.

Lux Lawn
01-18-2011, 09:22 PM
I just bought my first used PG, I was planning on using a Chevy 1500 and a rack to carry. Now I am planning on using my Chevy 2500, with a rack 20-50 gallons of water plus my bags of fert. I think I would rather have the carrier then a small trailer.

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-08-2011, 11:37 AM
I was just confirming the specs on my Dakota.
Max payload of 1300 lbs.
Max tongue weight of 1200 lbs with the tow package I have on it.

Now, if you load it with a 150-200 lb carry rack, 550 lbs or so for a loaded PG (I would not plan to have loaded full of fert when transporting), you get 750 lbs or so on the back end. Plus have to add in fert bags, water, etc.
So yes, pushing the capacity, if you carry too much extra water/fert etc.

CHARLES CUE
02-08-2011, 07:17 PM
I was just confirming the specs on my Dakota.
Max payload of 1300 lbs.
Max tongue weight of 1200 lbs with the tow package I have on it.

Now, if you load it with a 150-200 lb carry rack, 550 lbs or so for a loaded PG (I would not plan to have loaded full of fert when transporting), you get 750 lbs or so on the back end. Plus have to add in fert bags, water, etc.
So yes, pushing the capacity, if you carry too much extra water/fert etc.

Hay DA why keep wondering . Why dont you load your permageen in back of the truck with the tail gate down. With as much of the weight on the tail gate as you can. Put some weight in the bed to equal the weight of your fet and water. Than go to the back of the truck stick a board in your trailer hitch so it stick out 3 ft and measure how far it is off the ground. just remember 500 lbs hanging 3 ft off the back is different than 500lbs over the axle.

Charles Cue

GreenI.A.
02-08-2011, 07:47 PM
Hay DA why keep wondering . Why dont you load your permageen in back of the truck with the tail gate down. With as much of the weight on the tail gate as you can. Put some weight in the bed to equal the weight of your fet and water. Than go to the back of the truck stick a board in your trailer hitch so it stick out 3 ft and measure how far it is off the ground. just remember 500 lbs hanging 3 ft off the back is different than 500lbs over the axle.

Charles Cue

the biggest thing is to remember that the carrier will bounce a good amount when you hit bumps and are pulling in and out of driveways. When I worked for a distributor we tried a carrier in a customers 4 wheel drive dekota, it sat off the ground fine but hit the ground when pulling in and out of the parking lot. he decided to go with a small trailer from home depot/lowes as all he needed it for was the pg

CHARLES CUE
02-08-2011, 08:01 PM
the biggest thing is to remember that the carrier will bounce a good amount when you hit bumps and are pulling in and out of driveways. When I worked for a distributor we tried a carrier in a customers 4 wheel drive dekota, it sat off the ground fine but hit the ground when pulling in and out of the parking lot. he decided to go with a small trailer from home depot/lowes as all he needed it for was the pg

Yep i know what you mean i have one on a 3/4 ton chevy and the right corner of the carrier drags on those places. That carrier hangs out about 5ft or more behind the rear wheel. My truck does not bounce my carrier is a good ways off the ground but when you pull in to a drive that goes up and the road i was on was going down hill the carries drags. But like larry has said when welding on the tubs on the trailer hitch turn them up about 15 degs. on 90%of my lawn i could use a trailer on the other 10 % no way.

Charles Cue

DA Quality Lawn & YS
02-09-2011, 11:55 AM
charles - good thought I may just do that. Not for a while though...below 0 here I'm not going outside to mess around until this bitter cold passes.

I actually am in the process of buying a carrier - so I can try it first hand. Best thing is, if I find it hangs too low with the PG on it and some fert in the truck, my brother will buy it off my hands and use it himself. So my liability is zero:)

CHARLES CUE
02-09-2011, 08:11 PM
charles - good thought I may just do that. Not for a while though...below 0 here I'm not going outside to mess around until this bitter cold passes.

I actually am in the process of buying a carrier - so I can try it first hand. Best thing is, if I find it hangs too low with the PG on it and some fert in the truck, my brother will buy it off my hands and use it himself. So my liability is zero:)

Well good for you hope it works out for you.

May be some air bags to hold it up.

Charles Cue