PDA

View Full Version : Dodge 1500 Cummins? Possible

Capemay Eagle
12-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Looks like Dodge may be the first to put a Diesel in a light duty truck. I would love to see this and may consider getting one. Hopefully if this happens the others may follow suit.

Article
http://www.autoblog.com/2010/12/07/chrysler-planning-ram-1500-diesel-and-hybrid-models/

mowerbrad
12-17-2010, 11:45 PM
GM was preparing to introduce a 4.5L duramax into their 1500 series Chevy and GMC a couple years ago, about the time that gas prices started to sky-rocket. They had them out in test trucks on the road but never actually offered that option to the public. I don't remember the exact numbers, but as I recall the fuel economy of those truck/engine combos was pretty impressive for a fullsize truck.

I guess I'm a little skeptical about whether Chrysler does actually have a Cummins diesel put into their dodge 1500's.

rungreen
12-18-2010, 08:09 AM
I dont think it will be worth on it on a 1/2 ton. Theirs so much emissons crap on the new ones it hard enough to jusitfy it on 2500/3500 over a gas

Jason Rose
12-18-2010, 10:18 AM
I've heard of a guy here that put a cummins in a 1/2 ton chevy! Fuel economy I heard was like 30 mpg. (but don't quote me on that).

I don't understand why almost every other country uses diesels in smaller trucks and cars as a norm and in the US you can only get one in a large truck (other than the few VW models out there most recently). Even some vehicles that are manufactured in the US are available with a diesel engine when shipped out of the country when they aren't available here, same goes the other way around of course.

I've not driven a diesel truck much at all personally, and Iv'e only heard what all has to be done every X miles on these new ones. Just watched a show on Speed yesterday where they were servicing a 2010 Dodge cummins with like 27K on it. When they pulled out the jug of "muffler fluid" I thought their was some inside joke going on there! Do you have to add the muffler fluid at the same time as the blinker fluid? lol! Well it's a real thing... Not that big of a deal really. Every 5k to 7k miles just pop off the cap and top off the jug.

Thinmint
12-18-2010, 10:17 PM
topping off that jug with every oil change is about 150 bucks

Deori
12-19-2010, 03:05 AM
Ford was talking about doing the same thing and seemed really serious in the last year or two, but now it looks like a no go. They were going to use a smaller diesel engine that they use in their Land Rovers in Europe that was supposed to get around 30 mpg. The big 3 all talk about it and even do some testing with it, but it never seems to get off the ground. Ford is launching 3 new engines in their F150 series for 2011, diesel didn't make the cut.

South Florida Lawns
12-19-2010, 04:11 PM
They need to slap a 4bt cummins in it and be done.

meador56
12-19-2010, 10:37 PM
topping off that jug with every oil change is about 150 bucks

Gee Thinmint you need to tell my Ford dealer they think it's only $40. Less at the truck stop its only urea yes as in fertilizer. And there may be a secret substitute.

THEGOLDPRO
12-19-2010, 10:40 PM
chevy used to put the diesels in their old 88-98 style 1500 trucks back in the day.

olde_blue
12-20-2010, 04:01 PM
In the late 70's, Dodge put a 4.0 L Mitsubishi 6-cylinder naturally-asperated diesel in the half-ton trucks, but it put out only about 100 hp. It was strictly for fuel economy.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
12-22-2010, 04:22 PM
I had a 1991 Chevy 1500 diesel. I only owned it a short time though... It was a lemon!

pitrack
12-29-2010, 01:27 AM
I've heard of a guy here that put a cummins in a 1/2 ton chevy! Fuel economy I heard was like 30 mpg. (but don't quote me on that).

I don't understand why almost every other country uses diesels in smaller trucks and cars as a norm and in the US you can only get one in a large truck (other than the few VW models out there most recently). Even some vehicles that are manufactured in the US are available with a diesel engine when shipped out of the country when they aren't available here, same goes the other way around of course.

I've not driven a diesel truck much at all personally, and Iv'e only heard what all has to be done every X miles on these new ones. Just watched a show on Speed yesterday where they were servicing a 2010 Dodge cummins with like 27K on it. When they pulled out the jug of "muffler fluid" I thought their was some inside joke going on there! Do you have to add the muffler fluid at the same time as the blinker fluid? lol! Well it's a real thing... Not that big of a deal really. Every 5k to 7k miles just pop off the cap and top off the jug.

That's weird, I thought the new 6.7 Cummins were the only engines of the big three that didn't require urea?

Swampy
01-05-2011, 04:52 AM
They were saying that last year that Dodge was putting a diesel in a half ton. Jeep did it with the liberity and I think the commander, and I've seen small cummins in wranglers. Ford has a diesel ranger that they ship to Australia, not available here in the US :( Not new news really.

The Diesel Hybrid would be interesting to see, I knew the military was doing some tests on that type of system for the HUMMV replacement as it would be less of a logistical nightmare for fuel as they are trying to cut down the ammount of fuel that has to be stockpiled for these types of vehicles. But their's wouldn't have the emissions bologna on it and last I heard it didn't meet their standards.

As for diesels high mileage being a joke, have you seen the VW TDI? Granted my sister in laws dad has a older car, think a 03, but he's still getting around 43 on the freeway. He takes it on trips down to Texas all the time so its more than paid for the higher cost of buying it. Though parts and labor to fix it is really high.

360ci
01-05-2011, 04:30 PM
GM was preparing to introduce a 4.5L duramax into their 1500 series Chevy and GMC a couple years ago, about the time that gas prices started to sky-rocket. They had them out in test trucks on the road but never actually offered that option to the public. I don't remember the exact numbers, but as I recall the fuel economy of those truck/engine combos was pretty impressive for a fullsize truck.

I guess I'm a little skeptical about whether Chrysler does actually have a Cummins diesel put into their dodge 1500's.

It wasn't due to fuel prices. It was due to not having enough money to warrant the design and integration of a whole new engine to the half ton truck line.

There are other articles floating around since 2006... This engine was also suppose to be the 'base' diesel engine in the 2500 truck (no 3500) for guys that need the stronger suspension but don't require a V8 diesel.

Besides, the guys that really want a diesel engine in their half ton have done it themselves. Cummins 4BT (like a 6BT with two cylinders hacked off) allows clearance where a V8 would normally fit with some mods for the frame/mounting points and transmission bell housing, etc. If you search around YouTube for 4BT, you'll see what I mean! Some did cheapo conversions as well. It's not overly expensive, it's just a matter of finding a 4BT engine!

A 1500 diesel would be great. The only downside will be payload capacity unless manufacturers make an HD variant of the half ton line up. Even if the diesel is smaller in displacement than a comparable gas V8, it'll still add a solid 500lbs. The only downside, besides cost, is the added exhaust treatment systems required to run the diesel... which is the only downside for me. I want to go hunting in the boonies, and oops, only 1000kms before my truck won't start because I'm out of urea fluid....

doubleedge
01-05-2011, 07:46 PM
It wasn't due to fuel prices. It was due to not having enough money to warrant the design and integration of a whole new engine to the half ton truck line.

There are other articles floating around since 2006... This engine was also suppose to be the 'base' diesel engine in the 2500 truck (no 3500) for guys that need the stronger suspension but don't require a V8 diesel.

Besides, the guys that really want a diesel engine in their half ton have done it themselves. Cummins 4BT (like a 6BT with two cylinders hacked off) allows clearance where a V8 would normally fit with some mods for the frame/mounting points and transmission bell housing, etc. If you search around YouTube for 4BT, you'll see what I mean! Some did cheapo conversions as well. It's not overly expensive, it's just a matter of finding a 4BT engine!

A 1500 diesel would be great. The only downside will be payload capacity unless manufacturers make an HD variant of the half ton line up. Even if the diesel is smaller in displacement than a comparable gas V8, it'll still add a solid 500lbs. The only downside, besides cost, is the added exhaust treatment systems required to run the diesel... which is the only downside for me. I want to go hunting in the boonies, and oops, only 1000kms before my truck won't start because I'm out of urea fluid....

Ford does have a HD f150 with 7 lug wheels and close to 3000 lbs payload. It is only available as a xl/xlt regular cab/extended cab long box.

The urea doesn't need to be replaced that often; it is usually filled during each oil change, I believe.

360ci
01-06-2011, 12:14 AM
Ford does have a HD f150 with 7 lug wheels and close to 3000 lbs payload. It is only available as a xl/xlt regular cab/extended cab long box.

The urea doesn't need to be replaced that often; it is usually filled during each oil change, I believe.

The F150 with payload package has limited appeal for those running a half ton. If Ford offered different configurations with the HD suspension with a small diesel, they'd own the market. However, most who need 3000+ payload, get a 3/4 ton truck.

With new emission diesel oil for these new HD diesel engines oil changes aren't as long as you might expect. If the truck 'works' you'll go through more urea. As a daily driver, you should be able to exhaust 5-6K miles before replenishment is required. This also means that you have to pay dealer cost for the urea, until something is set up with other retailers.

Swampy
01-06-2011, 02:33 AM
Urea LOL!!! next business adventure bottling up my own and labeling "Swamp Piss" :laugh:

360ci
01-06-2011, 09:28 AM
Yep. I won't get a new diesel because of the Urea BS! Average diesel engine option on HD trucks here in Canada is $12K or more now - no thanks!