PDA

View Full Version : How will I ever get the bermuda grass out of my flower beds

medtec113
12-17-2010, 04:50 PM
I think the title describes my problem. I built my beds 4 years ago and put down fabric, the plants, then mulch with straw each year. Now I have bermuda grass growing in my beds and up through the middle of my plants. (blue rug juniper, nandina fire power) Please tell me there is a solution other than starting over. I have a bermuda lawn BTW.

fl-landscapes
12-17-2010, 05:25 PM
you can spray fusilade over most shrubs and it will kill bermuda, then pre-m this spring with something like snapshot. The frost should have sent it into dormancy so dont spray until it is actively growing, you can hand pull some as well.

medtec113
12-17-2010, 06:08 PM
I will check into fusilade. The pulling by hand isnt working well. Will the snap shot stop bermuda from germinating?

cgaengineer
12-17-2010, 06:21 PM
I will check into fusilade. The pulling by hand isnt working well. Will the snap shot stop bermuda from germinating?

It will not stop runners from creeping, but it will prevent common bermuda seeds from sprouting.like fl said, there are some post chems that will control it, but the best way is hand pulling in most cases.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
12-17-2010, 06:26 PM
I have used this and it works well...READ LABEL. You must make sure your plants are safe to be sprated.

http://www.growersupply.com/higrki.html
Posted via Mobile Device

medtec113
12-17-2010, 09:59 PM
Thanks. At this point if it kills the plants at least then I could spray it all and start over. NOT THAT I WANT THAT just saying its frustrating

RigglePLC
12-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Good advice from Cga. The stuff kills all kinds of grass, but not other plants. Same active ingredient as Fusilade. Keep it on hand as more Bermuda will creep in next year. You need some deep edging to help stop bermuda roots and rhizomes from creeping in. It should be tall enough to prevent bermuda from crawling over the barrier.

Good luck.

cgaengineer
12-18-2010, 02:53 AM
Bermuda is tough to control if it gets in bed areas...I have used that stuff above and although it works well, it may take 2 applications to kill bermuda.
Posted via Mobile Device

medtec113
12-18-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks guys. I have hope. My edgeing is pretty deep but bermuda grew under I believe. Thanks again for the help

cgaengineer
12-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Thanks guys. I have hope. My edgeing is pretty deep but bermuda grew under I believe. Thanks again for the help

If you edge with an edger weekly you will cut most of the runners and prevent them from spreading wildly.
Posted via Mobile Device

grassman177
12-18-2010, 01:31 PM
i have never used fusilade but may in the future. i dont have to many issues in beds, and if i did it was due to the fact there was some on the lawn that made it too it, and talked the customer into letting me kill out all areas with burmuda in it landscape and turf, and then i seeded the area back in with fescue, and am dilligetnly attacking the beds with gly and scythe mixed.