PDA

View Full Version : Where do you buy Mulch?

MSYardman
08-27-2002, 06:49 PM
I'm just wondering where everyone buys mulch. We use a little pine straw, but the majority of work is cypress mulch.

Currently, we are bouncing all over the place buying a little here and a little there. We're paying about $1.87 for a 2 cubic foot bag.

This is something we've overlooked and now we are ready to do it right.

drobson
08-27-2002, 09:32 PM
I don't know about Florida, but up here in Northern MA we use mostly cedar or hemlock mulch. I buy it by the yard, usually picking it up at the place they make the mulch myself. We pay around $25/yd for cedar and $29/yd for hemlock... There are recycled economy mulches available for around $15/yd if people don't care what it look like and only care that it's doing it's job. If I buy more than 5 yards they will deliver it for free... works out pretty good for me... If I had to buy my mulch by the bag I would go broke, and would never be able to sell any jobs at the price I would need to charge to make any money...

mdb landscaping
08-27-2002, 09:46 PM
i too buy it by the yard up here. I have the choice of cedar, red cedar, pine or spruce. i like the spruce because it holds the color the longest. For spruce, i buy it at $26 a yard wholesale($32/yd for everyone else). Its a good deal, because i make the money on what i charge to put it down, and make another $7 a yard for buying from the guy.

AL Inc
08-27-2002, 09:51 PM
27 cubic feet in a yard, that is 13.5 bags @ $1.87, works out to $25.25 per yard. Really not much more expensive. We mostly buy mulch by the yard, but sometimes I will buy bags if we need small amounts or there is no access with wheelbarrows. Mike

greenman
08-27-2002, 10:28 PM
I get mine from a nursery. Pine or hardwood by the yard-$14-16. Cypress has to be by the bag (3cu.ft=9 bags is 1 yd.) or pallet. It can be delivered.

MJ LANDSCAPING
08-29-2002, 09:20 AM
I dont know about Florida, but in New Jersey we get all types of mulch like dyed black, red cedar, triple shreded hardwood, playground mulch (cedar & fiber). We have such a demand for it that the supply yards carry everykind. It usually runs around anywhere from $8.00 a yard to $28.00 a yard. The going rate to install it is $60.-$70. a yard.

fivejcb
08-29-2002, 11:15 AM
I buy it from what ever place has the best price, normally around $21 yard for cedar $24 nviro red, brown, black, gold. Mulch is big in Michigan and I'll take every mulch job I can get. I get from $80 to $100 per yard to deliver & install, I've sold 17 yards just this week.

I love the smell of mulch it smells like money.:)

kris
08-29-2002, 10:32 PM
We buy it 100 cubic yards at a time .... shredded cedar from British Columbia. Around 12 per delivered.

dlandscaping
08-29-2002, 10:58 PM
Drobson,
I'm another member from MA.
Here we have red cedar, pine and hemlock. Hemlock is the most popular and pine is the cheapest. It varies from $24-35 a yard depending where you go. At the large agway's I was getting two yards of hemlock for $51 and change tax included. I bought 6 yards in a few hours and they said hey you a scaper, "yup" well you get a discount. Worked out nice since it was 5 min from job location. That was my largest installation job at $500+.

dforbes
08-30-2002, 11:57 PM
We are lucky we are able to by mulch by the tractor trailer load in bulk not baged. If you are able to buy a large quanity at a time I would look on the bags where you are getting it. Most of these companys have there name and addreses on the bags and sell wholesale to people in the business. While you may not be able to get as good a price as what they are giving the store your buying it from, you should be able to save 20 - 30 percent. Many stores in our area know this and will give a discount if you agree to buy quanities from them. In order to make this work you have to buy high quanities at a time.
Dennis

drobson
08-31-2002, 12:06 AM
dlandscaper,

That's a great price for hemlock. That is about what I pay for bright red cedar. I have been using bright red cedar since last year when the mulch place I use started to make it. It was cheaper than the hemlock and the customers seemed to like it better than regular cedar or pine.. I am saving about $4/yd this way, over the season it adds up...

What part of the state are you from?

dlandscaping
08-31-2002, 05:57 PM
I am in Worcester, Mass. All mulch this year was hemlock except for a few yards of cedar. The place I got the cedar from was good too. Instead of rocking the loader back and forth to get an even yard in the bucket, they just scoop and load. Got 3 yds in reality for $62.00.

drobson
08-31-2002, 11:15 PM
Yeah the place I use is really good about that too. I get 2 yds at a time in my truck and they usually use a 1 yd bucket with the small trucks, so each bucket full is overloaded. I get at least 2 1/2 yds this way, sometimes more. They usually pack it down and make sure they got it all out of the bucket too. I'm very satisfied with them..

digger1
09-01-2002, 11:50 PM
you should be able to find a "wholesaler" in your area or one who delivers to nurseries in your area. if you have the room, a trailer load (25 cy, 50 cy, etc.) is much more economical at $12 to $15 a yard. maybe even split it with one of your 'competitors' if you do not have room for a whole trailer load.

JimLewis
09-03-2002, 03:05 PM
We buy mulch from "Discount Barkdust" on Barrows Rd. Great stuff! ;)

JeremySkrocki
09-05-2002, 10:36 PM
If you can do bulk, Florida Mulch sells Cypress mulch for $13.50 per yard, but require a minimum of 100 yard order.

Everywhere else sells for about $19.00 per yard. In the Orlando area pretty much every nursery or Landscape Supply place sells a nice variety of mulch. If you ever use Bark Mulch, you can typically get it a little cheaper at Saw Mills if thier is one near to you.

Feel free to e-mail me if you have any other questions

Jeremy:)

vardener
09-30-2002, 01:17 AM
I love cypress mulch. The stuff doesn't float away and it holds its color well. I use it as much as I can.

The only place that sells it reasonably here in MD ($2.87 x 2 cu ft) is Home Depot. I know, I know, but hey, it's twice as much per cu ft bag at my favorite nursery. What am I gonna do?

jkelton
10-01-2002, 07:15 PM
Does anyone know where the closest bulk supplier for cypress mulch is for me (Tennessee)?

TurfGuyTX
10-01-2002, 09:32 PM
What about you Texas guys? Where do you like to buy it?

Darryl G
10-03-2002, 02:43 AM
I buy my mulch from a larger landscaper in town. I use mostly natural cedar and pay $26/yd picked up, $24/yd for 10 yards or more. Red-dyed cedar is $32/yd. He will deliver for me too for $6/yd, but I usually haul it myself in my P/U truck 3 yds at a time and charge $10/yd for delivery.

I also love mulch jobs, because you can't help but make the beds look better, and the customers are always happy. The last one I did took 19 yards and came to almost $1,600 with weeding.

I have the room to store it and will look into getting a tractor trailer full in the spring. I plan to have either a dump truck or dump trailer to deliver it with by then.

vardener
10-04-2002, 06:02 PM
Hey Darryl,

Where in So Cen TX are you? Can you get cypress in bulk there?

Darryl G
10-04-2002, 07:09 PM
Vardener - I'm in South-Central Connecticut - I think you're message was meant for someone else.

greenman
10-05-2002, 12:34 AM
Cypress mulch is my favorite. Its a bit more expensive thatn the others and it can't be bought in bulk, bags only.