PDA

View Full Version : quick books

fatguy28
12-18-2010, 05:41 PM
i just started to mess with Q.B. how do i erase invoices that i just made up

benjaminesh
12-18-2010, 05:54 PM
Go back to create invoces, click back in the upper left corner and erase all the data you entered in.

Pennington Lawncare
12-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Quickbooks is about the least user friendly software I have ever used. I wish I hadn't purchased it.

fl-landscapes
12-18-2010, 06:53 PM
right click body of invoice and hit "void"

JB1
12-18-2010, 07:04 PM
Quickbooks is about the least user friendly software I have ever used. I wish I hadn't purchased it.

probably because you haven't learned to use it, I have used it for years and still learn new things on it.

cgaengineer
12-18-2010, 07:14 PM
i just started to mess with Q.B. how do i erase invoices that i just made up

Open invoice and in upper left of the menu bar click delete invoice.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pennington Lawncare
12-18-2010, 08:07 PM
probably because you haven't learned to use it, I have used it for years and still learn new things on it.

That should tell you something. Why are the features so hard to figure out? I find it funny that the company that makes Quickbooks is called "Intuit" but, there is nothing intuitive about this software. What makes software good is when it makes a difficult tax easy. Furthermore, I would expect a more polished product for $100. I was embarrassed to give a customer one of those basic looking invoices. My wife makes a much more professional looking invoice with Microsoft Word in a minute.

gene gls
12-18-2010, 08:33 PM

I agree...........Gave up after wasting 4 weeks of time messing with it. Its designed more for one time on the spot sales.

Mountain Peak
12-18-2010, 10:40 PM
I Had to actually go get "quickbooks for dummies" and it helped a lot. Now I use Gopher for everything for the mowing portion of my business and link/crossover it all to quickbooks. I hate to do invoicing out of quickbooks, I know it can be done easier but dam, Gopher is just way too easy to invoice out of and then sync it for the accountant to quickbooks.

mowerbrad
12-18-2010, 10:41 PM
I've used quickbooks now for 2 seasons and have no problems with it yet. I don't need to do too much with it, so I haven't gone through the whole program yet. One of these days I really want to explore the program more and find out all what it can do for me.

Its pretty easy to navigate through, I think.

Roger
12-19-2010, 04:03 PM
For those having troubles with QB, you are probably not understanding some very basic accounting principles. Yes, it is intuitive, when you understand some of these basic principles, every expense must have a source, every income has an account to be charged and a place to be registered.

As far as "basic invoice," that is what is provided with the program. But, the functions are there to make an invoice look exactly like you please, as "professional" (whatever that means to you) as you would like. Anything you can do in another program can be done with the design function.

When I hear of people wanting an "invoice program," or designing an invoice in other program, I always ask the question: What are you using for your financial management tools? Rarely does anybody who is making their invoice outside of QB (or any other program) supply an answer. To be sure, you can make an invoice elsewhere, perhaps easier. But, why would you use two programs, one specifically for invoices, another for managing finances (e.g. bank accounts, charge cards, expenses, inflow of sales revenues, etc)?

To the OP, you say your "just started messing." That is OK, and I would suggest you do much "messing" before you go live. Perhaps "start" a company, and do many pseudo transactions, and see what is wrong with your setup. Erase the company, and rebuild to refine to better suit your needs. Do more "messing," and see the pitfalls. I repeated the cycle a few times, and found the setup the best for what I needed. After using a few years, I see a few places where I would have made some changes. But, nothing in the basic structure is wrong. But, my first attempt(s) were not right. The reason was primary centered around lack some basic principles for financial management. Now, I can see those pitfalls.

If you are going to be a solo, and owner/operator, and "one man does everything," you need to have some basic grasp of all these parts of your business. The other choice is to hire out. That is dangerous because if you don't have a firm grasp on your financial matters, you are doomed to failure. Keeping a business running is not about straight stripes across the yard with a ZTR. It is all about finances.

Landscape Poet
12-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Sorry if this is a duplicate answer - but I am on a mobile and did not read second page.
To the OP and others that hav e trouble with qbs - best buy and others offer a software, essentially a tutorial over quick books and its features. If you are like me a visually seeing how to work things sometimes sticks better than reading does....I suggest maybe using this program
Posted via Mobile Device

Pistol
12-20-2010, 04:53 PM
My local community collage is offering an online Quicken 2010 class this winter - $70. Hope it's worth it.

Concerning the comment about using it for years and still learning new things - that is the case for almost every piece of good software out there - sooo many unused functions - read the manual, take a class, online tutorials, etc. Educate yourself - software worth a damn is not intuitive!

cgaengineer
12-20-2010, 04:55 PM
My local community collage is offering an online Quicken 2010 class this winter - $70. Hope it's worth it.

Concerning the comment about using it for years and still learning new things - that is the case for almost every piece of good software out there - sooo many unused functions - read the manual, take a class, online tutorials, etc. Educate yourself - software worth a damn is not intuitive!

Quicken and quickbooks is not the same...one is banking, one is accounting...you may want to do a little research.
Posted via Mobile Device

JimLewis
12-22-2010, 10:54 AM
Roger is absolutely right. Quickbooks is actually ideal for businesses like ours. But it helps to have some basic accounting knowledge or else it's difficult to learn. But just because something isn't easy to learn or pick up on your own, without any training, doesn't mean you should get rid of it or give up. Quickbooks has proven itself to be THE most preeminent software of it's kind for small businesses like ours. There's a reason why more small businesses (our industry included) use Quickbooks over all of the other programs (like Gopher) combined. There is a reason why Quickbooks sells millions of copies in Costco every year. Most people realize just what an amazing program it is.

If you're not there yet, don't give up. Just get trained. Every major city has multiple resources and classes to train you in the basics of using Quickbooks. And once you learn what kind of amazing things you can do with just one program, you'd probably never go back or try anything else.

There is a little bit of a steep learning curve. And if you're not real computer savvy to begin with, it makes it even more difficult. But getting past that by getting some training is really worth it.

Anyway, on to the original question. Control-D is the easiest way to delete any invoice, while you're looking at it.

rmcneil
01-03-2011, 12:09 AM
Would you recommend Quickbooks Pro or Premier?

Thanks,

Ryan

JimLewis
01-03-2011, 12:55 AM
We've always used Quickbooks Pro. I am not sure what Premier has in it that I am missing. But whatever extra it has, I think we're doing just fine without it.

gene gls
01-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Would you recommend Quickbooks Pro or Premier?

Thanks,

Ryan

No, I would not reccomend Quickbooks. I bought it, hired a registered QB-CPA to set it up. After a month of trying to arrange it to suite my needs, the CPA told me it was not designed to be used my way. She was an office manager for a large Landscape Company before becomming a CPA. I went back to Gopher and its quirks and just give my numbers to my CPA and let him work it out.

Roger
01-03-2011, 10:24 AM
gene, ... unfortunately, the CPA had a vested interest in NOT making it work for you. I have read far too many posts on LS of people like me, who have been using QB for years, and found it to work fine for the industry. BTW, somebody who has the intelligence and where-with-all to have completed the college work, and the Board exams for a CPA is probably not a candidate for an office manager. Just saying ...

I am wanting to upgrade my QB Pro for 2011. I find that the going price is $179.99 (or thereabouts). OffieMax has a 20% off this week, both online and in store. Staples is also $179.99 (with no discount). Anybody find a better price?

I think I want to buy "new." I am having to erase my hard drive, and reload all application software. The QB Pro 2009 on my CD is R5. The updates are now to R12. In order to get to R12 again, I need to start with my CD (R5), download R6, install, download R7, install, download R8, install, etc. I think this takes about an hour for each cycle. Buying QB Pro 2011 gives me the latest updates, but without backward compatibility in data structures. QB 2011 has changes, but will update my QB 2009 data files, but never to be returned to QB 2009 format.

Is this a good decision, or not? Why?

zturncutter
01-03-2011, 10:31 AM
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_19?url=search-alias%3Dsoftware&field-keywords=quickbooks+pro+2011&sprefix=quickbooks+pro+2011

Hows this ?

JB1
01-03-2011, 10:31 AM
CPA's are a funny bunch, my old one didn't like quickbooks, wanted me to use peachtree witch was way harder and way more than I needed. The software is going to take some time to learn. I said I have used it for years now and I am still learning it, it does so much, but you don't learn accounting in a couple of months. Maybe it aint the best, but it works great for me.

zturncutter
01-03-2011, 10:36 AM
How are you backing up your data file, locally on a thumb drive, hard drive etc or online ?

zturncutter
01-03-2011, 10:38 AM
CPA's are a funny bunch, my old one didn't like quickbooks, wanted me to use peachtree witch was way harder and way more than I needed. The software is going to take some time to learn. I said I have used it for years now and I am still learning it, it does so much, but you don't learn accounting in a couple of months. Maybe it aint the best, but it works great for me.

My CPA is a certified advisor and has always been helpful and answers all my questions.

zturncutter
01-03-2011, 10:41 AM
gene, ... unfortunately, the CPA had a vested interest in NOT making it work for you. I have read far too many posts on LS of people like me, who have been using QB for years, and found it to work fine for the industry. BTW, somebody who has the intelligence and where-with-all to have completed the college work, and the Board exams for a CPA is probably not a candidate for an office manager. Just saying ...

I am wanting to upgrade my QB Pro for 2011. I find that the going price is $179.99 (or thereabouts). OffieMax has a 20% off this week, both online and in store. Staples is also $179.99 (with no discount). Anybody find a better price?

I think I want to buy "new." I am having to erase my hard drive, and reload all application software. The QB Pro 2009 on my CD is R5. The updates are now to R12. In order to get to R12 again, I need to start with my CD (R5), download R6, install, download R7, install, download R8, install, etc. I think this takes about an hour for each cycle. Buying QB Pro 2011 gives me the latest updates, but without backward compatibility in data structures. QB 2011 has changes, but will update my QB 2009 data files, but never to be returned to QB 2009 format.

Is this a good decision, or not? Why?

Another option if you do not accept online payments is the cloud version/online version, Intuit will help you upload your data file. No worrying about crashing computer hard drives.

JB1
01-03-2011, 10:45 AM
How are you backing up your data file, locally on a thumb drive, hard drive etc or online ?

back up on hard drive and thumb drive, I think where the trouble starts is people have with the software is they have no idea of accounting principles and the information is only as good as you put in.

zturncutter
01-03-2011, 11:04 AM
back up on hard drive and thumb drive, I think where the trouble starts is people have with the software is they have no idea of accounting principles and the information is only as good as you put in.

I think that is the big problem for many LCO's, if my CPA has said it once he has said it a thousand times over the years your records are only as good as the info you enter, come up with a system and keep up with your entries on a weekly if not daily basis. If you have a problem or question, deal with it right away.

JimLewis
01-03-2011, 11:11 AM
I gotta agree with Roger. Quickbooks really seems to be ideal for our business or most any business that deals with invoices, payments, repeat customers, tracking customer's information, account statements, accounting of any sort, expense tracking, you name it.

The only disadvantage to QB is there is a learning curve for everything it does. Not everyone learns as quickly, either. So if you're good with computers, are a quick learner, and have a basic understanding of general accounting methods, then you will be able to learn QB, with a little time. And then you'll love it. If you're not, then you should probably hire someone who is and then eventually they will learn to love QB. Either way, I don't know a lot of people who really know and understand QB who don't like it or don't find that it does for them what they want to do.

JimLewis
01-03-2011, 11:21 AM

Backup is extremely important. Think about this; what if this morning you went to the office and found that your hard drive had crashed and you had lost all of your customer data, accounting data, Quickbooks, email list, etc. How much would that suck? If you don't already have a backup plan you need to get one ASAP.

You actually should have 2 methods of backup. One on-site and one off-site. For our on-site backup, we have installed (and I highly recommend) the HP Media Smart Server (pictured below). It has 4 separate 250G hard drives (total of 1 TB) that automatically backs up my laptop, the wife's laptop, and the office computer every night in the middle of the night. And there is automatic redundancy built in. Each of the drives have all of your data on them. So if one of the backup server drives fails, one of the other 3 got your back. First backup takes several hours and then after that, the server just looks for what's changed on your computer (i.e. what's files are new) and just adds those to what it's already backed up previously. Takes only 10-60 minutes in the middle of the night and you never notice it. Then if a HD ever crashes, you're back up like nothing happened, with less than 24 hours worth of info. lost - in just a couple hours.

You also need off-site backup in case there is a fire or in case someone breaks in while you're on vacation and steals all your computers and backup server. I know a landscaper in NE who that happened to recently! So you can use online backup server companies like Carbonite or Mozy or many others. Or, if you're diligent enough to do it every week, you can make a CD or thumb drive backup and store it at a friend or neighbor's house. But I find that most people aren't diligent enough to do that very frequently. So I like the online backup method.

http://computershopper.com/shoptalk/images/HP-Media-Smart-Server.jpg

http://www.kobakma.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/MediaSmart-Server-EX485-and-EX487-from-HP.jpg

starry night
01-03-2011, 11:38 AM
I have just bought a new Dell PC and in transferring my files, I have discovered a little problem loading my old accounting software (One-Write Plus which is no longer being sold.) That program has always served me well but I'm thinking of getting Quickbooks.
Here's a question for you QB users: I write very detailed invoices. I don't fill-in quantity 1 in column A and so forth. I've always preferred worded invoices in detail. I believe that is why I don't have problems with clients questioning my charges. I was able to write such invoices with my old software. Can I do that in QB?

zturncutter
01-03-2011, 11:49 AM
I have just bought a new Dell PC and in transferring my files, I have discovered a little problem loading my old accounting software (One-Write Plus which is no longer being sold.) That program has always served me well but I'm thinking of getting Quickbooks.
Here's a question for you QB users: I write very detailed invoices. I don't fill-in quantity 1 in column A and so forth. I've always preferred worded invoices in detail. I believe that is why I don't have problems with clients questioning my charges. I was able to write such invoices with my old software. Can I do that in QB?

Simple answer yes, it is very customizable.

zturncutter
01-03-2011, 11:52 AM
Backup is extremely important. Think about this; what if this morning you went to the office and found that your hard drive had crashed and you had lost all of your customer data, accounting data, Quickbooks, email list, etc. How much would that suck? If you don't already have a backup plan you need to get one ASAP.

You actually should have 2 methods of backup. One on-site and one off-site. For our on-site backup, we have installed (and I highly recommend) the HP Media Smart Server (pictured below). It has 4 separate 250G hard drives (total of 1 TB) that automatically backs up my laptop, the wife's laptop, and the office computer every night in the middle of the night. And there is automatic redundancy built in. Each of the drives have all of your data on them. So if one of the backup server drives fails, one of the other 3 got your back. First backup takes several hours and then after that, the server just looks for what's changed on your computer (i.e. what's files are new) and just adds those to what it's already backed up previously. Takes only 10-60 minutes in the middle of the night and you never notice it. Then if a HD ever crashes, you're back up like nothing happened, with less than 24 hours worth of info. lost - in just a couple hours.

You also need off-site backup in case there is a fire or in case someone breaks in while you're on vacation and steals all your computers and backup server. I know a landscaper in NE who that happened to recently! So you can use online backup server companies like Carbonite or Mozy or many others. Or, if you're diligent enough to do it every week, you can make a CD or thumb drive backup and store it at a friend or neighbor's house. But I find that most people aren't diligent enough to do that very frequently. So I like the online backup method.

http://computershopper.com/shoptalk/images/HP-Media-Smart-Server.jpg

http://www.kobakma.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/MediaSmart-Server-EX485-and-EX487-from-HP.jpg

I just started using the Quickbooks automatic backup for my off site back up, it backs up automatically every 24 hours in the middle of the night. $4.95 per month.

Maple Wood
01-03-2011, 12:06 PM
I just upgraded today to Premier 2011 from Premier 2008. I tried Pro but it did not have Sales orders.
That works like this, Give a customer an estimate. Customer says yes. You turn it into sales order and then once it is completed it becomes an invoice. You can keep track all of your jobs out there like chemical applications by step ect as sales orders until completed.

zturncutter
01-03-2011, 12:26 PM
I just upgraded today to Premier 2011 from Premier 2008. I tried Pro but it did not have Sales orders.
That works like this, Give a customer an estimate. Customer says yes. You turn it into sales order and then once it is completed it becomes an invoice. You can keep track all of your jobs out there like chemical applications by step ect as sales orders until completed.

Could you do pretty much the same thing in pro by using statement charges and sending a statement at the end of the month instead of an invoice ?

Maple Wood
01-03-2011, 12:44 PM
An invoice puts it on the books on the P&L and then you have trouble figuring out what is pending and what is finished. Statements don't itemize the actual service you preform. So if you had a Step 1 chem app, spring cleanup, and some mowing, it would not show what was what.

zturncutter
01-03-2011, 01:01 PM
An invoice puts it on the books on the P&L and then you have trouble figuring out what is pending and what is finished. Statements don't itemize the actual service you preform. So if you had a Step 1 chem app, spring cleanup, and some mowing, it would not show what was what.

I see what you are saying, you can go to statement charges and enter details but that would be an extra step. The way you are handling it is much more fluid and less data entry.

Roger
01-03-2011, 10:43 PM
I use three forms of backup.
1. Thumb drives; I use a couple of them and cycle them daily. They are near the computer, but are useful if a disk problem occurs, or I want to go back to data a few days ago. I update every day, so cycle through these thumb drives, one each day. My QB is set up to keep the last four versions.

2. I have an external disk drive. Again, it keeps four versions of the data files.

3. I use Verizon as my Internet provider. They make 2.5GB (? on the size) available without cost for online backup. Every morning at 3:00 a.m. the QB files are uploaded to the offline site. Again, set up with four copies.

Backing up application software has become very difficult. During an install, parts of the application are spread across so many places, it is too difficult to get all the parts corralled in one place. This is why an install from a CD is necessary, then update that version. Back in the DOS days, all application software was in one place, .... oh, to yearn for those simple days of personal computing!

lawnpro724
01-06-2011, 05:30 PM

If you set up Quickbooks Pro for the way you do things its does do exactly what you want it to do. You have to set it up. I have time tracking for ongoing jobs and it keeps things that are finished and not complete separate.

Frue
01-10-2011, 12:20 PM
Well i have went down that road twice and both times were very hard. I found it very hard to erase invoices and very hard to put in cash receipts. Meaning if I was at wallmart doing grocery shopping with the wife. Lets say I bought some oil and paid for it out of the personal instead of running 2 different accounts. How do you get to write off of the recipts? This process was so frustarting. also with over a 100 invoices going out the door that is a lot of typing in quickbooks. Not good for scheduling.

So my answer was gopher for scheduling and invoicing and quicken for accounting. Now in quicken I set up a charge card account with a business tag I can actually put in cash receipts and tag it as business therefore going on my tax category. perfect setup.

zturncutter
01-10-2011, 12:31 PM
" Lets say I bought some oil and paid for it out of the personal instead of running 2 different accounts. How do you get to write off of the recipts? "

You would cut yourself a reimbursement check or electronically transfer the funds to your personal account and post it in my case to equipment repair and maintenance in your expense accounts in Quick books. And of course file the paper reciept or scan it onto your hard drive.

zturncutter
01-10-2011, 12:37 PM
"with over a 100 invoices going out the door that is a lot of typing in quickbooks"

Once Quickbooks is set up it's mostly left click, right click.

JimLewis
01-10-2011, 01:22 PM
....I found it very hard to erase invoices

Not really. CONTROL-D deletes any invoice. Which isn't something that you would need to do very often anyway. But when it is needed, it takes all of 5 seconds to hit CONTROL-D.

and very hard to put in cash receipts. Meaning if I was at wallmart doing grocery shopping with the wife. Lets say I bought some oil and paid for it out of the personal instead of running 2 different accounts. How do you get to write off of the recipts? This process was so frustarting.

Well, the simple answer is don't do that. Business should pay for business expenses and you should pay for personal expenses. I buy stuff all the time at Costco, Office stores, etc. where a percentage of my stuff in my cart is for business and the rest is for personal. I just separate the stuff into two separate transactions on the belt. When the first transaction comes up, I pay with my personal debit card and the next transaction with by business debit card. Easy.

If that's too much work for you then it's not too awful difficult to enter in a transaction for something you've paid for personally. It just requires a journal entry. I'll agree journal entries are a little bit of a PITA to get the hang of. But that's why I just don't use my personal card for business stuff anymore.

also with over a 100 invoices going out the door that is a lot of typing in quickbooks.

Again - no. There is this thing called "memorized transactions". As long as your invoices are the same each month, you just memorize them and then they are automatically generated and scheduled to print each month. We used to print out 150 or so invoices each month back when we did more invoicing. It was always very simple. But nowadays, most of our clients are on autopay. So invoices are generated each month automatically, but never printed or sent out. And for the 40 or so who aren't on autopay, we have just created memorized transactions and then once a month we just hit the print button and they all go out in the mail. You can't get much simpler than that!

Now if the work you do for your clients is constantly varying from month to month, you won't be able to do the memorized transactions thing. But there isn't a program made that will get you around that. In that case, you're always going to have to enter invoices in monthly. But at least with QB, it goes really quickly. Once you get your main "items" created, it's just a matter of typing the first few letters and then press TAB key over and maybe adjust the quantity or the description a little and done! Once you get the hang of this, it takes less than 30 seconds each invoice. I seriously doubt it's any faster with any other program.
Not good for scheduling.

Well, that's true. Quickbooks is for accounting, not scheduling.

So my answer was gopher for scheduling and invoicing and quicken for accounting. Now in quicken I set up a charge card account with a business tag I can actually put in cash receipts and tag it as business therefore going on my tax category. perfect setup.

What you should be doing is using Quickbooks for accounting, invoicing, customer tracking, statements, estimates, job costing, sales charts, graphs, financial statements, etc. and then gopher or whatever else for scheduling. Quicken was never really meant to be used for business invoicing, accounting, all that stuff. It's small scale. That's the whole reason Intuit came out with Quickbooks and Quickbooks Pro, etc. was because Quicken just doesn't do enough. Quicken is designed for PERSONAL finances. Intuit even says so on their website. It's not meant for the more complex needs of businesses like ours.

Frue
01-10-2011, 01:50 PM
Jim, Thank you for your detailed analysis. I can print out of gopher in one click a hundred invoice. I have tried to make quick books do that not even close. here is how i have just mowing set up. date of service, mow, price. so every month i would have to take the little black book out, go to john doe and do date mow price 4 times for the in voice. That will be done a 100 times (400). Thats alot.

Now regarding the receipts of course in a perfect world all things being equal you would keep them separate. BUT in my world I use cash every once in a while instead of charging 5 dollar fuses well here is 5 bucks. There is no way to put that into the receipts therefore causing 2 seperates books to be kept. Again quicken lets me put it in in a seperate dummy account thats not associated to anything. I just tag it as business and at the end of the year it spits out my tax reports. Now problem 2 what if I use a business credit card to purchase a item? Quickbooks does not let you put them into your receipt reports for the end of the year. again causing seperate books to kept.

Gopher schedules and when I come home I just mark complete all (one Click) and it gets saved to a invoice that will be printed at the end of the month.

gene gls
01-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Jim, Thank you for your detailed analysis. I can print out of gopher in one click a hundred invoice. I have tried to make quick books do that not even close. here is how i have just mowing set up. date of service, mow, price. so every month i would have to take the little black book out, go to john doe and do date mow price 4 times for the in voice. That will be done a 100 times (400). Thats alot.

Now regarding the receipts of course in a perfect world all things being equal you would keep them separate. BUT in my world I use cash every once in a while instead of charging 5 dollar fuses well here is 5 bucks. There is no way to put that into the receipts therefore causing 2 seperates books to be kept. Again quicken lets me put it in in a seperate dummy account thats not associated to anything. I just tag it as business and at the end of the year it spits out my tax reports. Now problem 2 what if I use a business credit card to purchase a item? Quickbooks does not let you put them into your receipt reports for the end of the year. again causing seperate books to kept.

Gopher schedules and when I come home I just mark complete all (one Click) and it gets saved to a invoice that will be printed at the end of the month.

Glad to see someone else looks at QB in the same manner as I do.

JimLewis
01-10-2011, 02:44 PM
Jim, Thank you for your detailed analysis. I can print out of gopher in one click a hundred invoice. I have tried to make quick books do that not even close. here is how i have just mowing set up. date of service, mow, price. so every month i would have to take the little black book out, go to john doe and do date mow price 4 times for the in voice. That will be done a 100 times (400). Thats alot. [quote]

I'm not sure I follow. Are you saying your price changes every week for mowing for every client and somehow Gopher just automatically knows that????

I think maybe you just never learned how to do what you're trying to do in Quickbooks the right way. [quote]

[QUOTE=Frue;3851558] Now regarding the receipts of course in a perfect world all things being equal you would keep them separate. BUT in my world I use cash every once in a while instead of charging 5 dollar fuses well here is 5 bucks. There is no way to put that into the receipts therefore causing 2 seperates books to be kept. Again quicken lets me put it in in a seperate dummy account thats not associated to anything. I just tag it as business and at the end of the year it spits out my tax reports.

No. It's easy in Quickbooks too. I do the same thing once in a while. Just not very often. Any given month I have a few cash receipts. Mostly for small items, like you said...things under $5 that I just didn't want to have to use a card to pay for. I just put them in an envelope and then every few months my office takes them all and creates ONE journal entry. No separate accounts. Just a 5 minute journal entry can take care of months of these receipts you paid for.

The other way you can do it in QB is just like you describe. You create a dummy account. You can do that in Quickbooks as well.

Now problem 2 what if I use a business credit card to purchase a item? Quickbooks does not let you put them into your receipt reports for the end of the year. again causing seperate books to kept. [quote]

Well, I don't use credit cards for business. We pay for everything immediately. But I know there's a fairly simple way to do that in QB. You really should spend a few sessions with a really good bookkeeper who has a lot of experience with contractor kinds of businesses. Easier said than done. Bookkeepers are like a lot of professions. There are a lot of hacks out there who only sort of know what they are doing. But you find a good one and they can show you easy ways to do all of this. And I'd bet most good bookkeepers would also advise you against Quicken too. It's just not meant for what we're doing. You're looking to short cut the system and sometimes there are good reasons why you shouldn't take too many shortcuts. There are reasons why certain things in Quickbooks are separated like they are. It's because that's proper accounting. And that's also the way the IRS wants to see it if you're ever audited.

[QUOTE=Frue;3851558]Gopher schedules and when I come home I just mark complete all (one Click) and it gets saved to a invoice that will be printed at the end of the month.

Ok. So you're entering in info. every day??? Alright. I guess if that's the way you like to do it. But I am not sure that's very common. I think most of us would just prefer to send out an invoice each month without having to come home and enter stuff every day. I know I wouldn't want to keep track of that. And with the 250 or so accounts we have, that would be a whole other thing to worry about every day. I like to keep things easy and duplicatable. That's why we charge the same flat fee every month, all year around. That's why we get most all of our new customers are on autopay these days. And I don't want to worry about putting the date and exact service on every invoice for every customer every week. That's just too much crap to manage. And I don't even think the customers really care. They already get a checklist on their door every week when we are there saying what we did. They don't need to see it again in their invoice. They just need a quick description and a total price. Easy.

So the amount you charge your customers changes for every customer every week and every month? I guess if that's the way you have it set up, yah, that's kind of a PITA. And if gopher is the only thing that allows you to come home every day and enter the time you spent at each place and how much you're charging, fine, I guess maybe that's the best set up. That's just more complicated than I would ever want to get. I'd rather just do the same service every week, charge the same amount every month, and send out the same simple invoice every month. Much easier.

zturncutter
01-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Jim, my hat is off to you, you have a h?ll of a lot of patience :weightlifter:

Frue
01-10-2011, 10:13 PM
hey jim, thanks for spending the time. here is what I did when I used it. My customers mowing price always stayed the same meaning john doe was 35.00 a cut. Now lets say he gets cut fridays. so on friday i would cut john doe. at the end of the month I would send out a invoice for four cuttings sometimes 5. It look like this.
1-7-11 mow 35.00
1-14-11 mow 35.00
1-21-11 mow 35.00
1-28-11 mow 35.00

Now as you can see that is a lot of typing for all those customers. thats what the invoice would look like when i sent it.

Now I have been audited before the only things that matter are you income must match your bank records, and your receipts better match your deductions. it really is that simple. I did not no you could make a dummy account.

see every day i print a route sheet. when I come home I mark work complete maybe 2 clicks. Then at the end of the month I press generate invoice for the month boom there they come out of the printer fold and stuff. Now when the payments come in I mark the check number and in gets saved. this becomes my income for taxes. At the end of the year I run a business report on expenses in quicken it comes out of the printer. I then take these two papers to my accountant and the rest is history. See when you enter type receipts in the checking account for quicken you automatically tag as business use. File the receipt in the 2010 shoebox and presto bookeeping done easy. am i wrong in how I am doing this?

lawnpro724
01-10-2011, 10:57 PM
hey jim, thanks for spending the time. here is what I did when I used it. My customers mowing price always stayed the same meaning john doe was 35.00 a cut. Now lets say he gets cut fridays. so on friday i would cut john doe. at the end of the month I would send out a invoice for four cuttings sometimes 5. It look like this.
1-7-11 mow 35.00
1-14-11 mow 35.00
1-21-11 mow 35.00
1-28-11 mow 35.00

Now as you can see that is a lot of typing for all those customers. thats what the invoice would look like when i sent it.

Now I have been audited before the only things that matter are you income must match your bank records, and your receipts better match your deductions. it really is that simple. I did not no you could make a dummy account.

see every day i print a route sheet. when I come home I mark work complete maybe 2 clicks. Then at the end of the month I press generate invoice for the month boom there they come out of the printer fold and stuff. Now when the payments come in I mark the check number and in gets saved. this becomes my income for taxes. At the end of the year I run a business report on expenses in quicken it comes out of the printer. I then take these two papers to my accountant and the rest is history. See when you enter type receipts in the checking account for quicken you automatically tag as business use. File the receipt in the 2010 shoebox and presto bookeeping done easy. am i wrong in how I am doing this?

You need to set up your accounts for your customers so you can associate them with the service your providing. I'm assuming you were using the standard invoice for Quickbooks there are templates to customize your own so you don't have to type everything over and over. It doesn't take me very long at all to do my billing. You just need to set Quickbooks up correctly for your business. Read your manual.

JimLewis
01-11-2011, 02:25 AM
Frue,

See I think you're choosing to be a little too detailed on your invoices. While you probably think people appreciate the extra detail, the reality is customers like things simple too. The big downside to doing it this way is that it is making things much more difficult for you.

I have the same issue as you. Sometimes 4 Fridays in a month and once ever 3 or 4 months there are 5 Fridays. But rather than puting the dates and number of services that month on the invoice - and rather than charging an extra $35 a month for that extra week, I just work it out so it's the same flat fee every month.

$35 x 4 is $140. $35 x 5 is $175. So let's say one in every 4 months results in an extra $35. I'll make it $40 just to make the math simpler. So then I'd divide that $40 into 4 months and spread it out. That makes $150 each month. So instead of telling the customer I'm going to charge $35 a cut, I just say, "Your price will be $150 a month." They say, "sounds good." and we're in business!

Now that I've done that, I just need to send out the same damn invoice every month. No listing out the exact dates of service. No coming back to the office each night and checking each customer off. No charging more some months and less other months. None of that crap! I just create one simple invoice when the customer signs up, memorize that invoice and set it to repeat once a month, and then once a month hit the print button. Easy. Quick. Simple.

cstafford
01-11-2011, 03:45 AM
I've used Gopher in the past fairly successfully. But now it's strictly Quickbooks. What I disliked about Gopher was the integration with Quickbooks. It didn't integrate seamlessly. There is a steep learning curve with QB as mentioned several times. I purchased the Video Professor's Quickbooks Course and learned quite a bit. I also attended a local college one Saturday as they were offering a free intro course to QB. It's really a fine and powerful program. Stick with it and don't give up.

Lastly, we now save on postage by emailing 98% of our invoices to our clients.

Good luck
Chris

fl-landscapes
01-11-2011, 09:18 AM
for the cash expenses, why dont you just write a check from quickbooks to yourself, class it as a reimbursement and itemize the receipts and list them under in the details section under the check?

Frue
01-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Frue,

See I think you're choosing to be a little too detailed on your invoices. While you probably think people appreciate the extra detail, the reality is customers like things simple too. The big downside to doing it this way is that it is making things much more difficult for you.

I have the same issue as you. Sometimes 4 Fridays in a month and once ever 3 or 4 months there are 5 Fridays. But rather than puting the dates and number of services that month on the invoice - and rather than charging an extra $35 a month for that extra week, I just work it out so it's the same flat fee every month.

$35 x 4 is $140. $35 x 5 is $175. So let's say one in every 4 months results in an extra $35. I'll make it $40 just to make the math simpler. So then I'd divide that $40 into 4 months and spread it out. That makes $150 each month. So instead of telling the customer I'm going to charge $35 a cut, I just say, "Your price will be $150 a month." They say, "sounds good." and we're in business!

Now that I've done that, I just need to send out the same damn invoice every month. No listing out the exact dates of service. No coming back to the office each night and checking each customer off. No charging more some months and less other months. None of that crap! I just create one simple invoice when the customer signs up, memorize that invoice and set it to repeat once a month, and then once a month hit the print button. Easy. Quick. Simple.

I gotcha jim, you are under monthly contract I have about 12 of them. Now what about drought conditions and you miss a cut? Does this change the price or does it remain the same? You have really simplified your quickbooks.

Frue
01-11-2011, 10:55 AM
I've used Gopher in the past fairly successfully. But now it's strictly Quickbooks. What I disliked about Gopher was the integration with Quickbooks. It didn't integrate seamlessly. There is a steep learning curve with QB as mentioned several times. I purchased the Video Professor's Quickbooks Course and learned quite a bit. I also attended a local college one Saturday as they were offering a free intro course to QB. It's really a fine and powerful program. Stick with it and don't give up.

Lastly, we now save on postage by emailing 98% of our invoices to our clients.

Good luck
Chris

What do you do about scheduling? How about the extra time it takes to bill at the end of the month?

Frue
01-11-2011, 10:58 AM
for the cash expenses, why dont you just write a check from quickbooks to yourself, class it as a reimbursement and itemize the receipts and list them under in the details section under the check?

Good point but it then comes out of the checking account? When in reality it did not, it came from my wallet. I think the problem is that i am a sole proprietor this allows me the freedom to these things, as opposed say a corporation that would not allow for cash purchases.

fl-landscapes
01-11-2011, 11:05 AM
Good point but it then comes out of the checking account? When in reality it did not, it came from my wallet. I think the problem is that i am a sole proprietor this allows me the freedom to these things, as opposed say a corporation that would not allow for cash purchases.

not really, it is just the company reimbursing you for a company expense that you paid cash. It came out of your pocket then came out of the business checking account to pay you back. As a sales rep years ago I would on a weekly basis turn in my "expense sheet' which was all the expenses I paid out of pocket for company related activities like gas and lunch with clients etc... they just cut me a check. Sole proprietor seems even easier....no? Just enter the reciept into the system and dont cut a check?

Frue
01-11-2011, 11:34 AM
not really, it is just the company reimbursing you for a company expense that you paid cash. It came out of your pocket then came out of the business checking account to pay you back. As a sales rep years ago I would on a weekly basis turn in my "expense sheet' which was all the expenses I paid out of pocket for company related activities like gas and lunch with clients etc... they just cut me a check. Sole proprietor seems even easier....no? Just enter the reciept into the system and dont cut a check?

Quickbooks does not allow this all things have to be accounted for. As far as cutting reinburstment checks I guess you could do that but that is a lot of steps. Sometimes I am at the store with my wife and I see something like pens or oil or file folders and I just through them in the buggy. I can break down the receipt in quicken without having to reinburse myself or cut myself a check.

AI Inc
01-11-2011, 11:36 AM
Quickbooks does not allow this all things have to be accounted for. As far as cutting reinburstment checks I guess you could do that but that is a lot of steps. Sometimes I am at the store with my wife and I see something like pens or oil or file folders and I just through them in the buggy. I can break down the receipt in quicken without having to reinburse myself or cut myself a check.

No company credit card?

JimLewis
01-11-2011, 12:19 PM
I gotcha jim, you are under monthly contract I have about 12 of them. Now what about drought conditions and you miss a cut? Does this change the price or does it remain the same? You have really simplified your quickbooks.

We charge one flat fee. And we have never heard the word "drought" in Oregon. So that term doesn't apply. The grass pretty much always grows here. And if they don't water in the middle of the summer, they still get charged for a call anyway. It's the same rate, all year. Even in the winter when we can't mow and we are just stopping by every 2 weeks instead of every week - still the same rate. Even if it snows or we can't come out one week due to inclement weather it is still the same rate.

Now that may not be feasible for everyone, depending on what people in your market will bear. But if it were me, I'd still figure out a way to account for a few non mowing weeks due to drought and still offer a flat rate.

JimLewis
01-11-2011, 12:22 PM

It's even simpler than that. That's what we used to do was a check reimbursement. But you don't even have to do that. Just one journal entry where you list each expense out and debit all associated accounts and then one big credit to the appropriate "owner capital" account or whatever. Any good bookkeeper can show you how to do this.

JimLewis
01-11-2011, 12:25 PM

Yah, I miss that. I used to love to be able to co-mingle funds like that. But eventually you're going to want to incorporate, aren't you? Or are you always just going to stay being a solo op? Some sort of incorporation is almost essential at some point as you begin to grow, even a little. Or if nothing else just to protect your home and yourself. You need to protect yourself from liability that could arise from the company. I wouldn't want someone suing me and getting all my personal assets, my house, my vehicles, my money just because me or my worker damaged something or someone on the job.

cstafford
01-11-2011, 12:33 PM
What do you do about scheduling? How about the extra time it takes to bill at the end of the month?

Frue, my scheduling is done based on my experiences with working the routes. We have built up our clientele in an area were they account for about 80% of my total business and are all located within 3-5 miles.

They extra time it takes takes to do billing is minimal. Go back into this thread and read what Jim Lewis explains on "memorized transactions" They are life savers in terms of your time. My billing takes less thank 15 minutes.

Frue
01-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Yah, I miss that. I used to love to be able to co-mingle funds like that. But eventually you're going to want to incorporate, aren't you? Or are you always just going to stay being a solo op? Some sort of incorporation is almost essential at some point as you begin to grow, even a little. Or if nothing else just to protect your home and yourself. You need to protect yourself from liability that could arise from the company. I wouldn't want someone suing me and getting all my personal assets, my house, my vehicles, my money just because me or my worker damaged something or someone on the job.

Not sure what the next move is Jim. I have 2 employees 1 full 1 part time and obviously me. I also have 2 different subs that also work in winter and some in summer. I am stuck in the middle where going incorperated is not worth the tax break. I carry a large liability to cover any suits with a umbrella. I am looking into something but not sure where to go next. Thats why I am so interested in quickbooks.

WheatBookkeeping
05-05-2011, 09:04 PM
If the Invoice to be deleted is simply for practice, Cntl/D is the way to delete it. If you created practice payments against the invoice in question, delete them also. If the invoice is for an actual customer and you just want to get rid of it (possibly because of a mistake) use VOID to clear the invoice and preserve the associated Estimate. The suggestion from “Roger” is a good one. Set up a fake company and practice, practice, practice, then delete the fake company - make it completely unknown to QB.

“gene gls“, your CPA should have been able to set up Quickbooks to do everything you want except for crew assignment, routing, scheduling, job clustering, and equipment maintenance scheduling. Maybe she is extremely busy and couldn’t devote too much thought to the way you wanted things set up, but she should not have taken more than about two days to explain all the difficulties she found.

“JimLewis” has lined out an excellent and very comprehensive backup/recovery system. I would only add that in my particular case I have decided to do what they call an “image copy backup” which means that not only your data is preserved but your entire system is copied every night. So that way if my HDD is totally crashed and my computer can’t even boot up, I just swap one of the server drives with my trashed PC HDD and I’m back in action. Remember that it doesn’t do much good if you restore your data but your programs or operating system is trashed. In that case your nicely backed up data cannot be used. I actually go through this drill every 3 months just to make sure everything works smoothly.

“Frue” many users of QB do exactly what you described when business expenses are paid with personal money. They simply set up a fake credit card account that is not tied to a bank. It’s like you are a credit card company, but then you have a liability (the fake CC) on your books that you have to payoff with a check to yourself. That’s the way you have to do it if you are a corporation, but if you are a sole proprietor there is an easier and more preferred way to do it. Because you are the company, and the company is you, you can leave the bank account(s), fake CCs and all that stuff out of the mix. Just remember that when you pay an expense out of your own personal money your equity position as an owner changes. So, all you have to do to debit the Expense account involved and QB will automatically credit your Owner Equity account. Do this with a simple journal entry. In other words, your expense for the period will increase by the price you paid for the oil and your Equity (Ownership Share) in the company will increase by the price you paid for the oil. But the absolute best way to do it is to always keep business and personal transactions separate and distinct.

“fl-landscapes” the reason he shouldn’t write a check to himself is because he is a sole proprietor, reimbursements are normally used to reimburse employees (like when you were a sales rep.) who have spent their personal money for company stuff. He can’t be the sole proprietor and employee at the same time.

Reading the billing/invoicing portion of this discussion has made my head ache and I have no opinion on how you get the customers billed. Just keep good records of what you have done and you’ll be golden.

JimLewis
05-12-2011, 01:56 PM
“JimLewis” has lined out an excellent and very comprehensive backup/recovery system. I would only add that in my particular case I have decided to do what they call an “image copy backup” which means that not only your data is preserved but your entire system is copied every night.

Yah, that's exactly how mine works too.

Big C
05-14-2011, 03:10 PM
Having problems with QB, I converted to Working Point and love it....a lot easier to understand. Here's the sign up link https://signup.workingpoint.com/ref/f87680c895

daveyo
05-17-2011, 08:42 PM
Yah, that's exactly how mine works too.

Are you using something like ez backup or another product?

JimLewis
05-17-2011, 11:59 PM
We use the HP Media Smart Server with 4 Hard Drives (total of 1 TB) and duplication. So even if one of the hard drives happens to fail at the same time my laptop or another computer failes, the info. is duplicated on another one of the Hard Drives as well. So I always have at least 2 solid recent backups of all 3 of our computers in the house/office every night.

http://www.be-mine.info/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/HP-MediaSmart-Server.jpg

http://common3.ziffdavisinternet.com/util_get_image/19/0,1425,i=198293&sz=1,00.jpg