PDA

View Full Version : Sidegate Trailer? Yes? No?

8rickyj
12-18-2010, 11:09 PM
I am going to be in the market for a new trailer next year. I am thinking about getting one with a side gate. It sounds like a great idea, but as you all know things dont always turn out the same as it does in your head. I dont want to make that mistake. Does anyone here use them? Is it worth it? Or are they a pain in the butt?

knox gsl
12-18-2010, 11:31 PM
I have one that I'm selling. It would be great for me if my WB was smaller (full size turf tracer) it is to long to load sideways on trailer and a hassel to trun around on the front. I have loaded smallerf mowers on it easily and is really great when doing mulch jobs. I'll drop my gate onto the lawn and then wheel my mulch straight to the bed and not have to go to the driveway or jump the curb. I can't really think of any downfall of them especially if running 2 mowers. Check out the pics of the one I've got. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=336098

Mountain Peak
12-18-2010, 11:38 PM
The only reason I can think of for a side gate is for pulling a small 21 inch mower out or, for what I was thinking of, is using it for a dump area for clippings with a walker. That way I could pull up, not have to unhook the trailer from the truck, and rig something up to pull the clippings off from the side (like a tarp or something)
Other than that I'd like to hear how others are using them.

STL Cuts
12-18-2010, 11:47 PM
I am going to be in the market for a new trailer next year. I am thinking about getting one with a side gate. It sounds like a great idea, but as you all know things dont always turn out the same as it does in your head. I dont want to make that mistake. Does anyone here use them? Is it worth it? Or are they a pain in the butt?

I've got a 5 x 12 and I almost paid the extra $150-$175 for the side gate, but decided not to at the last second. I think they could be beneficial for unloading the smaller walk behinds and kind of regret not doing it.

pinecrestwoods
12-18-2010, 11:57 PM
I spent a year using my open trailer with no side ramp. Because it was an older trailer, I didn't feel too bad about cutting into it and building my own. I REALLY loved having the option of side-loading. Z in the back, and for the properties that were too small for the Z, I'd lower the side ramp, and unload the 36 Wright or trim mower. Didn't have to empty the trailer to get to it.

I now use an enclosed, so it's back to shuffling mowers, but worth it, IMO. Anyhoo- I digress. For an open trailer, I think the side gate is a definite plus!

And another thing. Because I didn't use my z for leaf cleanups at the time, the entire back of the trailer would be for debris, and I could use the front for equipment. Then... unload the leaves off the end of the trailer without having to jockey machines.

mowerbrad
12-19-2010, 12:42 AM
When I had my new trailer built this past fall, I had a side gate put on there. Since my trailer was custom, I went with a 54" side gate as opposed to the 48" gate typically used, this way I could fit a 48" mower on it.

My plan is to be able to have my ztr at the back of the trailer and have the new 48" mower on the front. This way I can take off the 48" mower without having to unload the ztr from the trailer. I also use the side gate to help unload leaves and grass at the end of the day. Its much easier to just drop the side gate and unload the clippings rather than having to unload the mower first and then unload the clippings.

I'm very glad I have the side gate. But I designed my trailer myself and knew exactly what I wanted. I knew I would have a smaller mower to use on it and it would be great for helping to unload leaves and grass...especially when I have a full trailer of clippings.

grassman177
12-19-2010, 12:51 AM
we have two trailers with them, and they are awesome for getting equipment off so you dont have to unload the whole trailer. our 22 ft trailer has a 6ft side double gate so we can load our 60in mowers up it also.

it is always worth it, get it

topsites
12-19-2010, 07:03 AM
What's the cost difference between the sidegate and a regular one?

ALC-GregH
12-19-2010, 10:49 AM
For me, I HAD to have a side ramp. When I shopped for a new trailer this past spring. I found a great deal on a 6.5x14ft trailer brand new. It didn't have a side ramp though. I said the heII with it and bought it with the intentions of building a ramp. I did some shopping for raw metal and got a good deal on the angle iron and a sheet of expanded metal so I had at it and came up with this.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/CIMG0042-1.jpg?t=1292769884

grassman177
12-19-2010, 11:30 AM
that is a very nice trailer, but i would have never bought a single axle, it really limits your load capabilities.

8rickyj
12-19-2010, 12:19 PM
For me, I HAD to have a side ramp. When I shopped for a new trailer this past spring. I found a great deal on a 6.5x14ft trailer brand new. It didn't have a side ramp though. I said the heII with it and bought it with the intentions of building a ramp. I did some shopping for raw metal and got a good deal on the angle iron and a sheet of expanded metal so I had at it and came up with this.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e160/americanlawncare/CIMG0042-1.jpg?t=1292769884

What did you make the rake and shovel holder from? I cant tell by the pic, I like that idea.

mowerbrad
12-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Here's what mine looks like, its a 54" side gate. Hope it helps...

pinecrestwoods
12-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Here's an in-progress shot from when I built mine. That's a 36" walk behind on there. Only thing is the length of the ramp. A walk behind is real easy to wheelie up and down, but my Stander was a little more tricky to learn how to do it safely. Easy as pie, though, if you pull up curbside and gain 6-8" on height.

The space in the middel of the front is for another ramp that goes from the trailer to the truck bed (gotta get to that one of these days).

newjerseylandscaping
12-19-2010, 05:51 PM
^^^ thats one Heck of an idea. more pics?

pinecrestwoods
12-19-2010, 07:33 PM
If NewJersey is referring to my stuff, it's not as nice as some of these other units. I don't have the ramp built yet from the trailer to truck. This trailer was a horse trailer in a former life before I got it (cheap). Really narrow. So, I started widening it from the front, and built this cage-looking deal for the front. Then I got busy- you know how it goes. Tough to rip into a trailer that's gotta be in service.

Then I got an enclosed, and haven't worked on this trailer. I did pick up a hoist/dump setup several weeks ago for $25. It's from a dumping grain cart, minus the running gear.

My plan is for this trailer to be a leaf rig. The entire back of the trailer will become a dump box. (..... if I get around to it!!!!) It's destined to look redneck until it sinks into the ground, but I'll get it looking decent. :weightlifter:

The side ramp was a huge time-saver for me. At only around 60" wide, you can see that I had to line everything up single-file, and the equipment you wanted would generally be behind everything.

newjerseylandscaping
12-19-2010, 10:28 PM
I was actually refering to the ramp from the trailer to the bed.

powernoje
12-19-2010, 10:35 PM

That is the perfect trailer.. Who built it?

mowerbrad
12-19-2010, 10:46 PM
That is the perfect trailer.. Who built it?

It was built by B&B Truck Equipment in Byron Center, MI. They really only build custom trailers on occasion, not exactly their main business, but they really build a quality trailer, I've been very happy with that trailer since I've had it.

powernoje
12-19-2010, 10:53 PM
It was built by B&B Truck Equipment in Byron Center, MI. They really only build custom trailers on occasion, not exactly their main business, but they really build a quality trailer, I've been very happy with that trailer since I've had it.

Thanks for the reply.. It looks great

grassman177
12-19-2010, 10:54 PM
i like mower brads trailer.

newjerseylandscaping
12-19-2010, 11:58 PM
I like all the trailers

pinecrestwoods
12-20-2010, 12:53 AM
I was actually refering to the ramp from the trailer to the bed.

There I go painfully painting 3 full color pictures for you, using only motor oil, red clay, and my own tears..... spilling my guts on my life story with this trailer, and you were just talking about the friggin trailer-to-bed ramp!?!?!?!??!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

Just to try out the theory, I set a motorcycle ramp I have that fits in that opening, and it worked really well for another piece of equipment- an aerator, for example. Or bags of fert, maybe??? That trailer fills right up with my 9' Grasshopper, so real estate is a struggle.

Yes, I vote for mowerbrads trailer, too. Looks nice and stout. I won't even ask why it's yellow, because I'm sure he gets that all the time. (yust yankin yer chain, there Brad). *trucewhiteflag*

newjerseylandscaping
12-20-2010, 02:53 AM
^^ sorry, LOL

ALC-GregH
12-20-2010, 06:31 PM
What did you make the rake and shovel holder from? I cant tell by the pic, I like that idea.

2x4's. It's that simple. :)

I like MB's trailer but yellow? I'd have to paint it ASAP if I got one like that. It's like a big stick out like a sort thumb kinda thing so people can't miss it going down the road. And safety of course. Which leads me to think that's why it's that color.

8rickyj
12-20-2010, 06:43 PM
Ok now I need a good brand trailer

mowerbrad
12-20-2010, 08:52 PM
2x4's. It's that simple. :)

I like MB's trailer but yellow? I'd have to paint it ASAP if I got one like that. It's like a big stick out like a sort thumb kinda thing so people can't miss it going down the road. And safety of course. Which leads me to think that's why it's that color.

Almost every person that sees the trailer asks why it is yellow. Let me say that it isn't just yellow, it's actually JOHN DEERE YELLOW. I had it painted JD yellow to match the mower. Plus it turns heads going down the road or while at a job, so it makes for great advertising.

newjerseylandscaping
12-20-2010, 08:53 PM
Its really a eye catching trailer.

Lawn-Scapes
12-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Nice job ALC... Want to do another? :)

grassman177
12-21-2010, 02:01 AM
both of these are custom made

the orange one is freshly powder coated in this picture(awesome) and is an 18ft with full split gates in back and one single gate up front(side) i think it is a 54in gate on side. this trailer is from the early 90's!!

the second one is about 6 years old, is a 22ft with beaver tail, split ramp on rear and side, and the side gate is wide enough to load a 60in mower with a little room on each side.

both have electric brakes and two of the extra heavy axles and springs(cant remember the weight, maybe 6000lb axles each?)

betterlawnsandlandscaping
12-21-2010, 02:05 AM

Awesome trailer! With the side door and tall side, does it work well when mulching beds.

newjerseylandscaping
12-21-2010, 02:10 AM
nice now lets see it loaded p with equipment??

mowerbrad
12-21-2010, 09:31 AM
Awesome trailer! With the side door and tall side, does it work well when mulching beds.

Can't really say, I just picked up the trailer at the end of September, so I really only got to use it during leaf season. But judging from the couple months of use I got out of it this season, it should do quite well anytime that I have to do mulch.

grassman177
12-21-2010, 10:18 AM
no body likes my trialers:cry::laugh:

Lefet
12-21-2010, 11:22 AM

Not true, I'd take the orange one in a heartbeat!

SouthSide Cutter
12-21-2010, 12:34 PM

Your 18' is almost like mine. I like to have everything on the trailer and a place for it. Nothing in the truck. I keep 3 trimmers, edger, hedge trimmers, pole saw, chain saw you name it. Don't like having to go back to the shop or make a second trip. Making everything on the sides (trimmer racks, boxes where they come off to haul wood, limbs etc)
Just put chrome wheels and adding a large alum box and making some other changes. When I get done will post some pictures when I find out how to do it.

newjerseylandscaping
12-21-2010, 03:23 PM
I like the orange one just fine, DId it come fromHD?

JK its cool

grassman177
12-21-2010, 11:40 PM
hahahha,

it was white originally, then it was painted to match the old truck that used to pull it, then it finally got the makeover you see. it was totally ripped apart and sandblasted, new tires and flooring and new expanded metal on ramps, then it was powdercoated including the axles and springs(black). we got all of that done to the trailer(minus the floor) for around $800. could not resist that price and the work was amazing.

it was done in like three days about 50 miles from here at a huge powdercoating business. totally awesome. it is very durable too, much better than paint and we plan on doing this to the 22ft black trailer next year and we have another smaller 12ft trailer that is also orange, but it was done with Kubota paint and it was more money and not as durable-----------go figure!

LibertyFarmLandscaping
12-22-2010, 04:11 AM

What I like better than the trailers is the jail located across the street. Very convenient providing you with a study flow of employees as they get released daily......:laugh:

Lefet
12-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Wow! I was so busy ogling the trailer I missed the jail in the background!!!