PDA

View Full Version : ONLY for Those Who Bag Leaves

85mm/1.4
12-19-2010, 02:58 AM
What size bags do you use?
What is the largest number of bagged leaves you've had at one account?
How long did it take to complete the job?

The most I have ever done (solo) is about 25 bags weighing 40 lbs+ each(leaves went through vac first) using 55 gallon bags.

It took me quite a while to finish the job. I'm not the fastest guy around, but I would like to hear what some others are doing to speed up the process of bagging leaves. Thanks

lawnboylova
12-19-2010, 04:22 AM
bagging it very slow but will work best bags ive found were the black yard bags cost more but worth it

Lawncutting27
12-19-2010, 05:00 AM
I blow out the bushes, mow over everything to reduce then blow what's left into piles. Then I shovel it into those giant home depot garbage bins, I think they are 55 gals. the biggest they have anyway.

Then I put a bag over the bin and turn it upside down, I pull out the bin and then I have a full 42x48 heavy duty bag full of leaves. I also have a bunch of 1" holes drilled into the bin so air won't create a vacuum.

Lawncutting27
12-19-2010, 05:02 AM
bagging it very slow but will work best bags ive found were the black yard bags cost more but worth it

go to a janitorial supply store and by them by the box. I get 100 heavy duty 42x48 bags for about $22 less then half the price of home depot and better quality too.

topsites
12-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Personally I always feel that we're doing mother nature a disfavor by bagging leaves,
we're basically turning what would have been perfectly good organic waste that
would normally decompose in one year...
Into something that will now take 400+ years to do the same.

85mm/1.4
12-19-2010, 09:15 AM
go to a janitorial supply store and by them by the box. I get 100 heavy duty 42x48 bags for about $22 less then half the price of home depot and better quality too.

That's a good price for 100 heavy duty bags. Do you purchase locally or online? Thanks for the reply.

gasracer
12-20-2010, 06:27 PM
I like to use the 3mil thick bags. Some call them contractors bags. I put about 60-70 pounds in them of leaves. My mower shreds them into mulch and into my bagger. The most I ever had on one job was 20 bags.

bradseabridge
12-20-2010, 07:14 PM
I use contractor grade bags when I did bag, That was last year. I have a leaf loader now I just bring huge piles to the back of the trailer and suck them up. I'll never bag again.

exmark user
12-21-2010, 02:39 AM
Why bag them?

Brentster
12-21-2010, 06:46 AM
In Houston, we're now required to use the compostable bags at about 40 cents each. The maximum size allowable is 33 gallons and are just dreadful to have to use. They're so flimsy and clingy that they require two people to fill them in a timely and less nerve racking manner.

gasracer
12-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Why bag them?
I prefer just mulching but some want them removed.
Since my machine grinds them almost into dust it keeps from having to clean my truck out or have the wind blow them everywhere on the road.
I can divide the bags between guys who want them for compost.
If I have to wait a day or 2 to go dump nothing gets wet.
I use a giant dust pan to full the bags so it doesn't take long.

If and when I get a leaf loader truck this method will no longer be needed.

exmark user
12-21-2010, 01:42 PM
i blow all mine to the curb

gasracer
12-21-2010, 01:54 PM
They no longer have curb side leave pickup here. Brush is only picked up once in the Spring and once in the late Fall.

bradseabridge
12-21-2010, 02:12 PM
A leaf loader is the ONLY way, after coming from bagging last season to tarping and dragging it behind the walkbehind to the loader, I must have kicked myself 100 times for not getting on sooner. Bagging is a PITA and you can't mulch everything.

vinnieobrien
12-22-2010, 09:34 PM
i rake the bulk of it blow it out of gardens and what not. then i bag by hand the bulk so i dont mess up my mower then i rake really good away from fences and borders then just mow it as i am mowing a regular lawn. i get the UltraSac 55 or 60 gallon bags. i have one account that is roughly 150 bags per fall. i get 350 for it and it takes 9 hours.

exmark user
12-22-2010, 09:43 PM
vinnie you should definetly charge more

gasracer
12-22-2010, 09:54 PM
vinnie you should definetly charge more

I agree, not near enough. More like $500+

vinnieobrien
12-22-2010, 10:24 PM
im not a possessional. i want to become a legit business but im afraid if i charge more only being 17 (i know i cant become legit till 18 due to liscences and insurance) i feel like id be look at as a joke.

exmark user
12-23-2010, 01:28 AM
I understand where your coming from I'm 16 your suffering from newb syndrome ( no offense ) all new business owners go through it including myself.Not sure on liscense but I'm positive you can get insurance, well at least in TN. Just hold your stomach and throw out some prices the people that might take you as a joke are clients you don't want anyway because they will never be satisfied .

vinnieobrien
12-23-2010, 11:14 AM
your right exmark im trying to set everything up like biz cards, little website, im gonna have an email just for my business.. i love working outside whether it be cold or hot so im not gonna stop trying.

gasracer
12-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Rule of thumb: Very minimum $30-$35 hr solo.

vinnieobrien
12-23-2010, 11:27 AM
im afraid to charge that haha i say 15 to 20

gasracer
12-23-2010, 11:39 AM
im afraid to charge that haha i say 15 to 20
You won't cover expenses at that. Gas,maintenance,labor,insurance,to us that is called "low balling".

vinnieobrien
12-23-2010, 12:02 PM
i know but being only 17 im afraid to say more lol i dont wanna be mocked.

i need some tips on becoming more possessional.

gasracer
12-23-2010, 12:19 PM
i know but being only 17 im afraid to say more lol i dont wanna be mocked.

i need some tips on becoming more possessional.

Here is your first tip: MAN UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you have other issues if you are afraid of being mocked in the real world.

vinnieobrien
12-23-2010, 12:58 PM
no i dont care if they dont like me i just dont wanna not get any work. i need to pay my phone bill and car insurance and what not so if i say too high i wont get any work -_-

gasracer
12-23-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm talking to a wall......

vinnieobrien
12-23-2010, 01:36 PM
sorry lol im just gonna go for it. if i dont get it then i dont. thanks gasracer.

ctvalley
12-23-2010, 07:28 PM
10-15 per hour?

I'll give you all of my equipment and give you as many hours as you want. My worker's make what you want per hour.

yardguy28
12-23-2010, 08:36 PM
sorry i didn't stumble across this thread sooner.

i personally don't mess with putting the leaves in actual bags. everything gets dumped right into my truck bed.

as for how i do it. i throw the grass catcher on my 52" mower and start mowing. let the catcher fill up. make one pass over everything. this will mulch up the leaves a bit. dump the catcher and you should be able to get everything on the second pass if it's not thick. dump the catcher again and your on your way to the next job.

i should mention i service my accounts on a weekly basis. but i've done one time jobs this way. one time jobs usually take 3 passes though.

Barefoot James
12-24-2010, 02:20 AM
What size bags do you use?
What is the largest number of bagged leaves you've had at one account?
How long did it take to complete the job?

The most I have ever done (solo) is about 25 bags weighing 40 lbs+ each(leaves went through vac first) using 55 gallon bags.

It took me quite a while to finish the job. I'm not the fastest guy around, but I would like to hear what some others are doing to speed up the process of bagging leaves. Thanks

Mulch them hard with 52 inch Wright Stander with mulch blades on concrete, blow into pile and scoop them into 39 gallon bags with the ties already part of bag. We use a plastic trash can and scoop them into that (with big mulch shovel) and then dump it into the bag that has a plastic roll up liner - fill bag up put another couple scoops in - pull out liner - insert liner in next bag- tie the bag off and set it on curb for trash pick up - we think about 3 to 5 reg leaf bags fit into these as they are mulched - probably 50 to 70 pounds per bag - sometimes just too heavy - for sure they would be too heavy if we used bigger bags.

We have had up to 40 bags before and it took us about an hour and half to bag (40 bags - under 2 mins per bag with this method,) Once we had the pile mulched - 2 men moving fast. Works great for us.

bel-nor
12-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Last year I had one customer that totaled 137 bags. I remember correctly this was 3-4, 4 hour days. That property has extremly large Oak trees and sets just north of other propertis that have large trees that blow into the property. The owner was pleased and I alternated between Lowes and home depot leaf bags where she could see the volume of trash pick ups. This year I used tarps on the few I have done. The above mentioned customer saw me at the post office and indicated she will call soon and it is truely needed. Leaf jobs are truly a learning lesson. My formula is 2x to 3x reg. lawn service plus dump fee if tarped which is very reasonable.

BINKY1902
12-27-2010, 08:17 PM
I pulled 105 bags off of one property last year, fifty five gallon bags from Attwoods. I mulched and reduced about half of the leaves, so I probably could have gotten 150 bags off of it. I done it solo in nine hours. At that time I bid leaf jobs, but now I do them by the hour. I got $350 for that job, I bid way too low, which is why I charge hourly now and shoot for $50/hr.

A+Lawncare.
01-09-2011, 09:48 PM
no no, i started when i was 17 and i charged 35 to 40. just make sure you do good work. plus sometimes that could be an advantage with your age. people should respect that you are working at the age of 17 and trying to start a business.

JCLawn and more
01-09-2011, 09:56 PM
12 cu. hopper. It took 4 hours on 2 acres. He had oak leaves about 3 inches think. The pile when I was done was about 20x10x3. I have bigger lawns I bagged, but none that took so long.

loupiscopolandscaping
01-14-2011, 07:22 PM
go green or go home.lol jk i always thought about bagging leaves and thought it was such a pointless method..all those bags WASTED! why? no reason and no need!

loupiscopolandscaping
01-14-2011, 07:24 PM
binky 50 an hr? thats great...hopefully the clients buy the bags