PDA

View Full Version : Best Accounting Sofware for smaller solo op no employees

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-19-2010, 01:00 PM
Guys,

Please only answer if you can relate....

I currently use home-made invoices I created from MS Word to bill with, and I track customer info, contracts, A/R, expenses, mileage in one file I made on MS Excel. It works for me now, but is labor intensive (takes me two hours to print/bill/mail monthlies, thats too long).

For a small solo op with no employees, what do you think is a solid accounting software package out there that is EASY to use? Quickbooks? Peachtree? Version??

I am mainly interested in tracking customer info, expenses, income, A/R, etc with this for now. But would like it to be easily expandable to payroll should I hire on in the near future. Note again, I am looking for user-friendly and not complex. Price is of course a factor but more looking for best value out there.

DA

Lefet
12-19-2010, 01:23 PM
I use LawnPro 3. Had it for about a year. Easy to navigate, easy to get into. They just introduced LawnPro 4, standard and professional versions. I know some on here would tell you to stay away from it but I haven't had any problems. It was cost effective and allowed me to "learn as I go".
Of course there are some things that I don't like about it but I'm working around them.
One being you can't categorize expenses. It just gives you ALL your expenses in a p/l report. I want to know what I spent on gas, repairs, advertising etc. But again, sometimes you don't know what you need until you jump in. This jump was not too deep, (pocket wise).
I'm working on an excel spreadsheet for next year to categorize my expenses. Alot of ppl use QB Pro along with their other software, (I heard the invoices look shabby) but I don't really see the need for the added expense.
I DO NOT foresee the ability for employee payroll. There are services in LP for employees, their info, picture, and their wages and what not but I haven't had to use them.

Hope this helps

KathysLGC
12-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Im one of those ppl that use QB pro 2010. All forms are customizable so for someone to say the invoices loom shabby id say they didn't really look into the software. We down load our bank statement right into QB which helps reconcile faster. We added payroll and the merchant account feature and it all intergrates perfectly. Definitely worth looking into even as a solo op.
Posted via Mobile Device

Chilehead
12-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Try Turbocash. It's Open Source (free), updated regularly, and a very well-thought-out program.

Roger
12-19-2010, 04:06 PM
Im one of those ppl that use QB pro 2010. All forms are customizable so for someone to say the invoices loom shabby id say they didn't really look into the software. We down load our bank statement right into QB which helps reconcile faster. We added payroll and the merchant account feature and it all intergrates perfectly. Definitely worth looking into even as a solo op.
Posted via Mobile Device

What this posts says... I've not used all these features, but QB is what you need. I can identify with your present scheme, ... been there, done that. Yes, far too labor intensive. Take time to learn QB, and you will know the financial health of your business at any time. It is customizable to fit any basic needs of the kinds of things an LCO will need.

Lefet
12-19-2010, 04:19 PM
What this posts says... I've not used all these features, but QB is what you need. I can identify with your present scheme, ... been there, done that. Yes, far too labor intensive. Take time to learn QB, and you will know the financial health of your business at any time. It is customizable to fit any basic needs of the kinds of things an LCO will need.

How does QB solve the other needs of landscaping, say scheduling and what not? I'm trying to decide whether to upgrade LP or invest in QB. I don't really want to do both.

CSL&L
12-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Quickbooks hands down

DA Quality Lawn & YS
12-19-2010, 10:10 PM
Banda thanks for the input. The Toro is runnin' great for me:)

jbpo
12-20-2010, 02:45 AM
I used to waste a lot of time every month as well. I switched to QB two years ago and things have run smoother.