PDA

View Full Version : Blue Bird Bed Edger Help

bmoorefield
12-19-2010, 09:22 PM
I bought a Blue Bird bed edger this past spring and for those of you who are do not have one I highly recommend this to be on your list of things to buy. At least go rent a few to get an idea of how much time it can save you and the professional job that it can produce. Be cautious with cable, dog fence, and speaker wires…call your local utility company to mark the lines. The problem that I have is the blade has been destroyed over the heavy usage throughout the year, and I have no idea where to get a replacement blade. I bought my machine off another local landscaper and I am not sure where he made the original purchase. Does anyone know of a distributor in north Baltimore and how much this will cost?

bmoorefield
12-21-2010, 09:15 AM
Anybody, please?

cgaengineer
12-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Call Blue Bird...I'm sure they can get you to the right person.
Posted via Mobile Device

bmoorefield
12-21-2010, 02:40 PM
they hooked me up with a dealer in Baltimore, waiting for them to get back to me for a price.

georgiagrass
12-21-2010, 04:48 PM
If it's a BB550A, you can get a replacement blade on Amazon.com for about $175. Damn, the internet is amazing!

bmoorefield
12-21-2010, 06:09 PM
Wow, you must be a genius to know how to use the internet. I like to help the small local businesses just like myself and the majority of people on this site. The dealer that I located ordered me a blade for $150 and I also gained a contact if I need any other Blue Bird parts for the future.

Patriot Services
12-22-2010, 12:48 PM
How much did you pay for the machine. Did you get a full life out of the blade or did you prematurely tear it up. I have rented them enough I could justify adding one to the stable.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
12-22-2010, 12:49 PM
How much did you pay for the machine. Did you get a full life out of the blade or did you prematurely tear it up. I have rented them enough I could justify adding one to the stable.
Posted via Mobile Device

I wouldn't get the Bed Bug if you decide to get bed edger...it was weak. I rented it 2 times and used it all day and thought it was way under powered. It did a great job though.
Posted via Mobile Device

Patriot Services
12-22-2010, 01:02 PM
I wouldn't get the Bed Bug if you decide to get bed edger...it was weak. I rented it 2 times and used it all day and thought it was way under powered. It did a great job though.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's why I didn't get one of the echo bed definers. It looks and felt like a 600 dollar stick edger.
Posted via Mobile Device

cgaengineer
12-22-2010, 01:03 PM
That's why I didn't get one of the echo bed definers. It looks and felt like a 600 dollar stick edger.
Posted via Mobile Device

It would be fine in softer soils, but in the clay and rock we have here is was all it could do to even stay running.
Posted via Mobile Device

bmoorefield
12-22-2010, 01:43 PM
I purchased mine lightly used for $1500, new I think they are $2300-2500. The person I bought it from was using it as a back up because he bought a new one at an estate auction for $500. He got it so cheap because nobody at the auction knew what it was.

I rented the Brown and the Blue Bird prior to my purchase (I don’t remember what Brown model specifically). Both models are very comparable but I liked how the Blue Bird was chain driven oppose to the belt driven Brown. I also liked that the controls are all on the handles and the ease of maneuverability around turns and height adjustment.

I was able to get a full season out of my blade, unfortunately when I was creating a new bed for a customer I hit a huge underground rock that chipped off a few teeth. I was able to finish the season with the blade but it was unbalanced causing the machine to shake more then I would like. The end results still appeared great but the teeth didn’t cut through the soil as easily. Don’t get me wrong, I have been through some terribly rocky soil and the machine had no problems. I haven’t experienced any lack of power with Maryland soil conditions unlike cgaengineer. I also considered the Echo but I felt the same you Patriot.

If I could justify the $5100 I would have looked more into the hydrostatic Little Wonder. It would be nice to have a machine that you don’t have to drag around backwards.

Patriot Services
12-22-2010, 02:05 PM
I have pretty much the opposite here. Soft sandy soil that wears blades and bearings. I don't miss working in sticky clays one bit.
Posted via Mobile Device