PDA

View Full Version : Wild onion/garlic in centipede below 50

ArTurf
12-19-2010, 10:21 PM
What would you use to knock out wild onion/garlic in centipede with the temps below 50? I do not want to use anything with 2-4-D. I would use metsulfuron but it is not very effective at these temps. I would have sprayed it earlier when it was warmer but this came up later than normal I guess because of the dry conditions and then it turned cool. Certainty maybe?

ted putnam
12-19-2010, 10:41 PM
What would you use to knock out wild onion/garlic in centipede with the temps below 50? I do not want to use anything with 2-4-D. I would use metsulfuron but it is not very effective at these temps. I would have sprayed it earlier when it was warmer but this came up later than normal I guess because of the dry conditions and then it turned cool. Certainty maybe?

Spike your metsulfuron mix with triclopyr. When I say spike, I mean 1/8 to 1/10 oz per gal in a backpack sprayer. Excellent knockdown in cold temps and the metsulfuron will finish it off in time.

ArTurf
12-20-2010, 10:55 AM
Thanks Ted.

ArTurf
12-20-2010, 10:59 AM
Spike your metsulfuron mix with triclopyr. When I say spike, I mean 1/8 to 1/10 oz per gal in a backpack sprayer. Excellent knockdown in cold temps and the metsulfuron will finish it off in time.

Did you notice the onion/garlic coming up later than normal? If so, do you think it was because of the dry condition?

ted putnam
12-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Did you notice the onion/garlic coming up later than normal? If so, do you think it was because of the dry condition?

Yes, I think it was because we had little to no rain for 3 months which just so happened to be during the time that onions would be normally emerging. Once we got a couple of rains, that was all the onions needed to come out in full force. The crop has definitely come on later this year than usual.