PDA

View Full Version : D-max enigne?'s for those with knowledge/experience

meets1
12-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Alright I have an uncle who is always on the phone to me or dad telling me not to idle the d-max. Guys all over are replacing injectors, filters for $5K a pop (I don't know what filter this may be) just everything.

As you can tell he is a ford die hard but really what are the issues with the d-max engines?

I have had two and have no problems. I have a new 2011 now with 1500 miles on it. I know a few guys with 150 - 200K replacing injectors but I can see that with those miles but my uncle is all bent that even doing snow or going to coffee shop while that truck idles is going to kill that engine.

I need proof either way that this or isn't correct.

Thanks fella's

Evan528
12-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Ive been told thats the case with most of the newer diesel.... especially the newers one with the emisions equipment.

I have had multiple injectors replaced on my 03 cummins..... not sure if it has something to do with the fact that is does idle alot.

mybowtie
12-21-2010, 09:23 AM
This is a issue with all the newer diesels. The DPF filter get plugged faster with extended ideling. The trucks need to be run regulary to start a regen to clean the DPF. And yes the dpf is big dollars, however the dealership can do a manual cleaning.

Thinmint
12-24-2010, 01:45 AM
Do the Dpf delete and flash EFI live on it.

Once that DPF is clogged it spits ASH. When your truck shoots a little black smoke it also turns to ash...

All goes to the same place and you will get better MPG without the DPF restriction

mybowtie
12-26-2010, 11:11 AM
I would like my dpf to "fall" off, but to loose the warrenty isnt worth it to me.

meets1
12-27-2010, 01:50 PM
With this new truck I ran out of urea already. Must hold 3.5 gallons and dealership never knew this as I was the first with the new Dmax engine. I was down to 40 on the highway limping home the other day. They filled it, it must of reset itself. There is no gauge on the truck besides a blinking light on the dash and a little read out saying in 200 miles your out of exhaust fluid.

Lesson learned on that one. My filter has cleaned a few times now but doing snow removal for 20 hours and that truck never shutting off I guess I can see the need to clean out.

Seems like alot of hassle for emissions BS and extra money.

JShe8918
01-05-2011, 11:12 PM
That is not the case. The only duramax you have to worry about is the LB7 aka 01-early 04 models. They rolled out a 7 year 200k mile warranty on the injectors of those trucks because of the issues they were having. In 2004.5 they changed to a different injector and made it them easier to change out. Pre 04.5 it took nearly 15 hours to do and after 04 they only take 6 hours. I have seen balance rates go crazy if they have high pulsewidth tunes. This is with crappy tuners, and with large EFI tunes.